Old June 26th 11, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Geographically accurate Tube Map"

http://london-tubemap.com/

I know we all know that the tube map is far from geographically accurate
and there have been loads of maps that have appeared that show where the
lines accurately - but this one is the closest I've seen to something
that straddles complete accuracy and cleanness of the real current one.

Would there be any value in this (or similar) becoming the standard tube
map as opposed to the current one?

Old June 26th 11, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
p.homeip.net, at
19:27:00 on Sun, 26 Jun 2011, Paul Cummins
remarked:
but this one is the closest I've seen to something
that straddles complete accuracy and cleanness of the real current
one.

In places it's great, in others (Tramlink, for example) it's not even close.

It needs a few tweaks to get it right, but idea is a good one.

eg, HEx should be shown going through Ealing Broadway (& Westbourne Pk)
If it's based in station locations, why's the gap from Covent Garden
to Leicester Square greater than the gap from Leicester Square to
Picc. Circus?
Similarly, Leyton's due north of Stratford, and Westbourne Park is
slightly north (as well as mainly west) of Royal Oak.
Old June 27th 11, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message

It needs a few tweaks to get it right, but idea is a good one.

eg, HEx should be shown going through Ealing Broadway (& Westbourne Pk)

Why is HEX even shown - if it appears why don't all mainline services?

Paul

Old June 27th 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:04:22 on
Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Paul Scott remarked:
It needs a few tweaks to get it right, but idea is a good one.

eg, HEx should be shown going through Ealing Broadway (& Westbourne Pk)

Why is HEX even shown - if it appears why don't all mainline services?

Arguably it's Connect (although that makes missing Ealing Broadway even
worse) due to showing a through route to T4.

Maybe they are anticipating a day when these services join the "zones"
for fare purposes. As it is, the map is quite good at showing which tube
services to use *instead* of HEx, if the HEx price puts you off.

Looking at the loop there has made me think about Euston, where as drawn
you might expect trains from the north to be able to reverse. It needs
to be split a bit like the Picc and Northern are at KX.

I like the distinction between tube and subsurface at KX, but it really
needs a similar "dual lozenge" at Baker St. (and possibly other stations
like Earls Ct to South Ken, Liverpool St etc). Or are they trying to
show a gateline rather than physical distance, in which case Stratford
might need looking at (as well as LHR T123/T4, but oddly T5 breaks the
symmetry).

Old June 27th 11, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:
[snip]
I like the distinction between tube and subsurface at KX, but it really
needs a similar "dual lozenge" at Baker St. (and possibly other stations
like Earls Ct to South Ken, Liverpool St etc). Or are they trying to show
a gateline rather than physical distance, in which case Stratford might
need looking at (as well as LHR T123/T4, but oddly T5 breaks the
symmetry).

Are you referring to the 'internal gateline' at Stratford, which gated in
the Jubilee line platforms? If so that went a while back - autumn '09 I
think.

Old June 27th 11, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:29:32 on Mon, 27 Jun
2011, Mizter T remarked:
[snip]
I like the distinction between tube and subsurface at KX, but it
really needs a similar "dual lozenge" at Baker St. (and possibly
other stations like Earls Ct to South Ken, Liverpool St etc). Or are
they trying to show a gateline rather than physical distance, in
which case Stratford might need looking at (as well as LHR T123/T4,
but oddly T5 breaks the symmetry).

Are you referring to the 'internal gateline' at Stratford, which gated
in the Jubilee line platforms? If so that went a while back - autumn
'09 I think.

Probably. So you can switch freely between all the lines now?
Old June 27th 11, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 15:29:32 on Mon, 27 Jun 2011,
Mizter T remarked:
[snip]
I like the distinction between tube and subsurface at KX, but it really
needs a similar "dual lozenge" at Baker St. (and possibly other stations
like Earls Ct to South Ken, Liverpool St etc). Or are they trying to
show a gateline rather than physical distance, in which case Stratford
might need looking at (as well as LHR T123/T4, but oddly T5 breaks the
symmetry).

Are you referring to the 'internal gateline' at Stratford, which gated in
the Jubilee line platforms? If so that went a while back - autumn '09 I
think.

Probably. So you can switch freely between all the lines now?

Yep.

Paul C has stated in the past that the aforementioned gateline was the
result of a somewhat contentious policy of gating in some (or all?) of the
new Jubilee Line Extension stations/platforms where there was interchange
with other NR lines, so West Ham would have been another example (dunno
about interchange with the DLR at Canning Town - I'd guess not, as there's
not the space). In the end, as the Stratford 'internal gateline' was
basically a one off, I dare say it confused a fair few people (I certainly
met a few) - the Parisian situation, for example, is different as there are
internal gatelines which exist between the Metro and RER for
'correspondence'.

Anyway, it was possibly removed because it was too difficult to make it work
with the upgrade to the Oyster system which came in in preparation for PAYG
being rolled out across NR in London (or alternatively it wasn't thought
worthwhile trying to make it work with the upgraded system).

Old June 27th 11, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote on 27 June 2011 10:37:02 ...
In , at 10:04:22 on
Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Paul remarked:
It needs a few tweaks to get it right, but idea is a good one.

eg, HEx should be shown going through Ealing Broadway (& Westbourne Pk)

Why is HEX even shown - if it appears why don't all mainline services?

Arguably it's Connect (although that makes missing Ealing Broadway even
worse) due to showing a through route to T4.

Connect no longer runs through to T4. There is a HEx-liveried shuttle
service between Heathrow Central and T4.
--
Richard J.
Old June 27th 11, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:43:45 on Mon, 27
Jun 2011, Richard J. remarked:

It needs a few tweaks to get it right, but idea is a good one.

eg, HEx should be shown going through Ealing Broadway (& Westbourne Pk)

Why is HEX even shown - if it appears why don't all mainline services?

Arguably it's Connect (although that makes missing Ealing Broadway even
worse) due to showing a through route to T4.

Connect no longer runs through to T4. There is a HEx-liveried shuttle
service between Heathrow Central and T4.

Looking at their online timetable, it doesn't seem to run through to T5
either. But it runs through to T4 on a Sunday.