Old January 10th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster at Finsbury Park

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:16:03 +0000, Bob Adams wrote:

Still doesn't answer why LUL/TfL are charging a deposit on the card (or
why passengers are willing to pay it.)

There is a precedent; Milton Keynes Council operate a 5 quid deposit
scheme for their smartcards - including seasons. MK Metro charge an
additional fiver on the first ticket, which is non-refundable (presumably
to encourage you to keep the card and use it again in the future, even if
not immediately, rather than returning it).

Neil

Old January 10th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote:

In message , Robert Woolley
writes
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:39:12 +0000, Bob Adams
wrote:

So what was "the bit with it" ?

The Record Card issued with the Oyster when last topped up.

Is it compulsory to have it with you? And what if you renew via the
internet?

Then you don't get one, so there is no way they can make it compulsory.

When will WAGN Gripper's be able to read Oysters?

When they have hand held checkers.

Get away!

Some have, as I said.

Why should I be willing to pay a three pound deposit for an Oyster when
it is going to save LUL a fortune? (But not it seems yet, WAGN.)

Because pre-pay will save you money on singles. And if you want a 7
day travelcard on Oyster you'll be able to renew over the internet or
at a ticket machine....

Still doesn't answer why LUL/TfL are charging a deposit on the card (or
why passengers are willing to pay it.)

If you don't like it, take it back and get your £3 back then.
Old January 11th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote:
In message , Robert Woolley
writes

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:39:12 +0000, Bob Adams
wrote:

(snip)
Why should I be willing to pay a three pound deposit for an Oyster when
it is going to save LUL a fortune? (But not it seems yet, WAGN.)

Because pre-pay will save you money on singles. And if you want a 7
day travelcard on Oyster you'll be able to renew over the internet or
at a ticket machine....

Still doesn't answer why LUL/TfL are charging a deposit on the card (or
why passengers are willing to pay it.)

Presumably so they don't lose out if you have an unresolved journey that
you can't be bothered to resolve and you have no credit left to pay up?
Also to stop people accumulating piles of Oyster cards.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old January 12th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote the following in:

Why should I be willing to pay a three pound deposit for an Oyster
when it is going to save LUL a fortune? (But not it seems yet,
WAGN.)

Because otherwise you'd get people taking the **** and demanding new
oyster cards all the time.

--
message by Robin May, or at least that's what the headers say.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.
Old January 12th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:17:22 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow wrote:

I /think/ there are, but I don't use the NLL often.

there are none except at the exit of the station to the street and between the
JLE to the rest of the station

shouldn't the Oyster give the traveller the benefit of the doubt where
there are two possible journeys and one is cheaper?

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

Old January 13th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article slrnc05nkc.11.takeme2yourNOMORESPAMPLEASE@scratch .garylaw.net,
u n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:17:22 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow wrote:

I /think/ there are, but I don't use the NLL often.

there are none except at the exit of the station to the street and between the
JLE to the rest of the station

That's true for gates, but I think there are oyster validators on
the west bound central line platforms, just by the bay the DLR uses
- presumably for the use of people who've just got off a WAGN service
and are about to head docklandswards on teh DLR.

I passed through stratford today, and don't recall any validators
by the NLL platforms; wasn't really looking though.

shouldn't the Oyster give the traveller the benefit of the doubt where
there are two possible journeys and one is cheaper?

Only if there are no validators (and they should put 'em by the NLL
platforms).

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.