Old September 5th 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Countdown Regenerated...

wrote:

In article , (Mizter T)

[Countdown on the (mobile) web]
When I tried looking at this from my mobile at home it "remembered" the
last bus stop code I had entered which is actually for one in
Cambridge.
Is this part of a larger national project?

Yes, I think it is - at least I think it's being co-ordinated with
the wider Traveline provision of live bus running information (or RTI
- real time information).

I'm guessing you were looking at the Cambridge information via
Traveline's "NextBuses" interface at http://mytraveline.mobi, or is
there another interface?

I suppose so but it's too long ago to remember.

There should be some relatively easy way of seeing the URL that lies behind
a bookmark, though it does vary by device and mobile browser. Or else click
on "New Search" - if it's the Traveline NextBuses service that should take
you to their front page.

The NextBuses service doesn't appear to be taking a live feed of the
Countdown information (yet) - it just shows the timetabled departures
for particular stops - nor does it appear to accept London bus stop
codes (yet).

I think it depends on what Real Time information is available. There is a
mixture in Cambridge. Some buses show minutes to go, others timetabled
departure times which means that late running buses without Real Time
information disappear when the due time passes.

Yes, that seems to be the basic modus operandi for such services - if proper
RTI isn't available, then it shows the timetabled departure time instead.

e.g. this is Oxontime, Oxfordshire CC's bus RTI service - whether a bus is
shown in 'RTI-mode' or not is explained under the "What you see?" heading
he
http://www.oxontime.com/style/pages/about.asp

RTI coverage for Oxontime is outlined he
http://www.oxontime.com/style/pages/coverage.asp

Old September 5th 11, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
(Mizter
T) wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The browser on my phone is utter crap. So I've no idea how to get at any of
the suggested data.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 5th 11, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 19:13:52 +0100, Paul G
wrote:

Finally live on the web! Woohoo!

Nice easy to use interface too.

Not sure how well it works on mobile phones yet.
http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk

I can already think of ways that it can be improved, but I'm just bloody
grateful for it finally being available.

One obvious improvement would be an awareness of long-term diversions.

Lansdowne Road in Tottenham has been closed to buses for some weeks
now, but still shows departures now.

--
Regards

John
Old September 5th 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\09\05 17:36, John wrote:

Lansdowne Road in Tottenham has been closed to buses for some weeks
now

Because of the riots?

Old September 5th 11, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:42:16 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2011\09\05 17:36, John wrote:

Lansdowne Road in Tottenham has been closed to buses for some weeks
now

Because of the riots?

Yes.

Most of the road is open except for the short bit next to where
Carpetright used to be. This prevents access between Tottenham High
Road and Lansdowne Road and as a result the 476, 318 and 341 are all
diverted along Northumberland Park.

http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/#|searchTerm=spencer road|stopCode=56775
shows six buses in the next half hour though.
--
Regards

John
Old September 5th 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 15:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

See my other post - there's an m-prefixed mobile version.

A shame it isn't linked-to from TfL's new mobile site - the bus
information there is only of the "disruptions" type. Perhaps it's
because m.countdown claims for now to be a "test version".

It's good to see it finally on the internet. It'll be even better
when it gets through to Traveline (I use the "Catch that Bus" phone
app) and/or Transport Direct. (By the way, my recommendation for a
free Android bus and train departures phone app would be Öffi,
excellent for London.)

Richard.
Old September 5th 11, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Mon, 5 Sep
2011 20:14:31 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:36:44 +0100, John
wrote:

One obvious improvement would be an awareness of long-term diversions.

Lansdowne Road in Tottenham has been closed to buses for some weeks
now, but still shows departures now.

I have already given feedback via the staff questionnaire as I spotted
this issue having seen the 476 on diversion and wondering how the
system dealt with it and then noting that it doesn't deal with it (in
the test version).

OTOH, the system seems to know about the major diversions at Moorgate
Station - Crossrail preparatory work. The information is oblique.

e.g. http://m.countdown.tfl.gov.uk/arrivals/77257 gives "no bus
information is available for this stop".
--
Walter Briscoe
Old September 5th 11, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 5, 11:31*am, "Mizter T" wrote:
wrote:
[Countdown on the (mobile) web]
When I tried looking at this from my mobile at home it "remembered" the
last
bus stop code I had entered which is actually for one in Cambridge. Is
this
part of a larger national project?

Yes, I think it is - at least I think it's being co-ordinated with the wider
Traveline provision of live bus running information (or RTI - real time
information).

I'm guessing you were looking at the Cambridge information via Traveline's
"NextBuses" interface at http://mytraveline.mobi, or is there another
interface?

The NextBuses service doesn't appear to be taking a live feed of the
Countdown information (yet) - it just shows the timetabled departures for
particular stops - nor does it appear to accept London bus stop codes (yet).

Oh my. Thank you for that! Works perfectly for my local stops
Old September 5th 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

See my other post - there's an m-prefixed mobile version.

A shame it isn't linked-to from TfL's new mobile site - the bus
information there is only of the "disruptions" type. *Perhaps it's
because m.countdown claims for now to be a "test version".

I'm sure that's the reason why - both the mobile and full web versions
very clearly state "This is a test version". They don't need to
advertise its existence much for there to be a whole horde of eager
beta testers rushing along to try it (I was going to say 'test it to
destruction', but one hopes it isn't destroyed that easily!).

It's good to see it finally on the internet. *It'll be even better
when it gets through to Traveline (I use the "Catch that Bus" phone
app) and/or Transport Direct. *(By the way, my recommendation for a
free Android bus and train departures phone app would be Öffi,
excellent for London.)

I'd imagine that will all come in time.