Old September 27th 11, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default An exhibition of stupidity

On 2011\09\27 22:31, wrote:
In ,
(Robin) wrote:

You're talking bollards.

Or for some drivers "up yours" - eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyihogeiyH0?

I find it very hard to have any sympathy for drivers who can't read.

Maybe they just can't read English. I can read a fair amount of French,
German, Dutch and Swedish, but I wouldn't necessarily understand a sign
that said "rising bollard" in any of them, and I wouldn't even
understand "buses only" in Finnish or Albanian.

Old September 27th 11, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

On 2011\09\27 22:31,
wrote:
In ,
(Robin) wrote:

You're talking bollards.

Or for some drivers "up yours" - eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyihogeiyH0?

I find it very hard to have any sympathy for drivers who can't read.

Maybe they just can't read English. I can read a fair amount of
French, German, Dutch and Swedish, but I wouldn't necessarily
understand a sign that said "rising bollard" in any of them, and I
wouldn't even understand "buses only" in Finnish or Albanian.

It's the "No Entry" or "No motor Vehicles" international signs they can't
read. I've seen the signs they ignore to hit the bollards in Cambridge. They
are unbelievably stupid.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 29th 11, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 01:41:10PM +0100, Bruce wrote:

I haven't seen Exhibition Road as rebuilt but I have seen some of the
plans for it and was pessimistic as to whether it would work. Such
schemes have apparently worked in other European countries but as far
as I know, only in narrow streets.

And that's the problem with taking "solutions" that are "proven to work"
in little mainland European towns and trying to apply them to London.
There's nothing wrong with doing over Exhibition Road as an experiment,
to see if it works on wider streets with a different mix of traffic,
but it must be *as an experiment*, with measurable goals defined in
advance.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
-- Shane Lazarus
Old September 29th 11, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:03:54 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
Argh! I agreed with Boltar!

My masterplan continues apace...

[strokes white cat]

B2003

Old September 29th 11, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

Bollards can be painted in bright red and white stripes to make them
more visible if necessary.

Unfortunately that's not always an acceptable option in historic cities.

--
Colin Rosenstiel