Old October 27th 11, 08:09 AM
Junior Member

Default Grays to Brentwood; please help :)

Hello,

I am completely confused. I moved back to the UK and got a job (finally!) in Brentwood and live in Grays but not certain if I am using the best way of travelling. I was going to take the 269 bus but the timing is not right as I need to start work at 8.30 and finish at 17.00. The only other option appears to be trains to: Upminster, then Romford, then Brentwood. Seems an awful lot of travelling and it would mean that I have to be at the bus stop to get the bus to the train station at 6.00 to be on time for work as it's still a 30 minute walk from Brentwood station to get to work... I would appreciate any advice

My questions a
- Does anybody know of a faster alternative?
- How much is the 269? (May warrant taking a taxi from the bus stop to work every day to be on time..)
- What is the cheapest way of buying train tickets (Oyster etc.?) as I have heard contradicting information about this.
- Are lift clubs used in the UK at all? If so, does anybody know of a website?

I would appreciate any information at all

Old October 27th 11, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:09:07 +0100
Mrs Fox wrote:
Hello,

I am completely confused. I moved back to the UK and got a job
(finally!) in Brentwood and live in Grays but not certain if I am using
the best way of travelling. I was going to take the 269 bus but the
timing is not right as I need to start work at 8.30 and finish at 17.00.
The only other option appears to be trains to: Upminster, then Romford,
then Brentwood. Seems an awful lot of travelling and it would mean that
I have to be at the bus stop to get the bus to the train station at 6.00
to be on time for work as it's still a 30 minute walk from Brentwood
station to get to work... I would appreciate any advice

My questions a
- Does anybody know of a faster alternative?

Yes - a car. Buy one and save yourself a world of stress and hassle that
you'll get with public transport.

B2003

Old October 27th 11, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

--
Mrs Fox

The journey planner at

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk...&timeOffset=15

will give you some suggestions. However I don't think there is an easy
option by public transport.

If you could let us know a bit more about where you live and where
your work is, perhaps we might be able to help more.

Old October 27th 11, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 27, 9:09*am, Mrs Fox
wrote:
[...]

Yes, as Boltar (or B2003) suggests the journey you propose is far from
ideal by public transport, especially as you anticipate a 30 minute
walk at the destination. I would suggest a scooter rather than a car.
You would need to do a CBT, which takes most of a day if you do not
hold a motorbike license. Google maps reckons it is 25 minutes from
"Grays" to "Brentwood". I'd say you would probably need to allow a
little more than that, but hugely easier than by public transport.

L.
Old October 27th 11, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:07:32 on Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Paul remarked:
I don't think there is an easy
option by public transport.

It's a typical "circular" trip round London, and poorly catered for by
anything other than M25.

Old October 27th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message
,
at 04:07:32 on Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Paul remarked:
I don't think there is an easy option by public transport.

It's a typical "circular" trip round London, and poorly catered for by
anything other than M25.

AKA an orbital journey, hence the M25's alternative moniker ;-)

Interestingly, for Grays-Brentwood whilst both the AA and RAC route planners
recommend heading via the M25, both Google Maps and (for 7am and 8am start
times at least) Transport Direct recommend a route via the A128 instead
(broadly parallel to the motorway albeit some distance away). No idea
whether that might be a good idea or a disaster.

http://www.transportdirect.info

Old October 27th 11, 04:17 PM
Junior Member

Thank you everybody. Great idea getting a scooter!! I can't drive a car at the moment as I need a UK licence. In the process of doing that but it may take a while. The CBT seems quicker so I reckon I'm getting a scooter

Thank you again
Old October 27th 11, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:17:49 on Thu, 27 Oct
2011, Mizter T remarked:
Interestingly, for Grays-Brentwood whilst both the AA and RAC route
planners recommend heading via the M25, both Google Maps and (for 7am
and 8am start times at least) Transport Direct recommend a route via
the A128 instead (broadly parallel to the motorway albeit some distance
away). No idea whether that might be a good idea or a disaster.

It depends which bit of Brentwood you are heading for. The town is quite
strung-out along the A128 to the south.
Old October 27th 11, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\10\27 17:17, Mrs Fox wrote:
Thank you everybody. Great idea getting a scooter!! I can't drive a car
at the moment as I need a UK licence. In the process of doing that but
it may take a while. The CBT seems quicker so I reckon I'm getting a
scooter

I'm sure you can drive in Britain on a foreign licence.
Old October 27th 11, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\10\27 17:17, Mrs Fox wrote:
Thank you everybody. Great idea getting a scooter!! I can't drive a car
at the moment as I need a UK licence. In the process of doing that but
it may take a while. The CBT seems quicker so I reckon I'm getting a
scooter

I'm sure you can drive in Britain on a foreign licence.

Yes, but only for a limited period of time. A year perhaps?

Grays - travel/ticketing advice Josie London Transport 11 April 2nd 10 05:34 PM
Any sudden tunnels between Stratford and Brentwood? Tristán White London Transport 17 October 12th 06 01:08 PM
Travelling from Harrow To Grays, advice needed Aosmosis London Transport 4 June 22nd 06 08:39 AM
Help please Marratxi London Transport 0 September 1st 04 11:11 PM
Help, please Marratxi London Transport 4 October 25th 03 12:49 PM