Old October 28th 11, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default "Airtrack-Lite" link to Heathrow proposed by Wandsworth Council

Posted without comment:

Wandsworth reveals Waterloo-Heathrow direct rail plans

Wandsworth Council has today unveiled plans for a new direct rail
service from south London to Heathrow airport.

The proposal — which is based on BAA’s Airtrack scheme — would provide
four trains an hour from Waterloo to the airport’s Terminal 5 with
stops in Wandsworth at Clapham Junction and Putney.

The plans avoid routing extra trains through level crossings in
Mortlake and Egham. This was a key problem with the original scheme
which was scrapped by BAA in April.

Wandsworth’s new plan, called Airtrack-Lite, routes two trains an hour
from Waterloo via the Hounslow loop. Two existing services on the
Waterloo-Windsor line would split at Staines to provide a further
direct link to Terminal Five. Two services an hour would also come up
from Weybridge to Heathrow — again without adding extra frequencies
over level crossings at Egham.

The new scheme would require a new station at Staines and a new
stretch of track from there to Terminal 5. The rest of the route would
run along existing lines.

A map of the proposed route is available on the council’s website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xjzzoa
or:
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloa...e_rail_service

Old October 28th 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Bruce" wrote:

Posted without comment:

Wandsworth reveals Waterloo-Heathrow direct rail plans

Wandsworth Council has today unveiled plans for a new direct rail
service from south London to Heathrow airport.
[...]
A map of the proposed route is available on the council's website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xjzzoa

I'll leave it to others to question (/ demolish!) this particular proposal
(/ bit of blue sky thinking), but with regards to the underlying issue - the
lack of rail connectivity from Heathrow to the south really is a significant
missing piece in terms of public transport access to the airport. I'm sure
it'd result in fewer people getting to and from the airport by car/cab, with
the knock-on benefits in terms of a reduction in road traffic that'd bring
(indeed I'm sure there's some Airtrack related study or two to this end out
there somewhere... but I haven't looked for it, let alone read it!).

Yes, there is the 'back door' way in to LHR from Feltham station via the
bus, but it's really not quite the same thing as a proper rail link.

(I can't see why we couldn't just close a hospital on Teesside to pay for
it...)

Old October 28th 11, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 28, 2:54*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
[...]

I guess if this proposal went ahead, once the tunnels are there,
there's the option for other routes to link in.

Would the plan give a through route up to the Heathrow express
tunnels? That'd give extra options for joined up transport links.
Old October 28th 11, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Bruce" wrote:
[...]

No, I don't think so. The two sets of lines and platforms are separate,
and parallel to each other (the Airtrack tunnels are south of the HEx
tunnels). Even if there is a connection, it's not meant to be used by
service trains. In any case, the services will be more reliable if kept
separate.

Old October 28th 11, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message

No, I don't think so. The two sets of lines and platforms are separate,
and parallel to each other (the Airtrack tunnels are south of the HEx
tunnels). Even if there is a connection, it's not meant to be used by
service trains. In any case, the services will be more reliable if kept
separate.

Despite the existing layout, the published Airtrack proposals always
anticipated HEx running through to Staines as well - it is exactly why
Staines station was to get an additional west facing bay platform...

Paul S

Old October 28th 11, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message
"Stuart Moore" wrote

Would the plan give a through route up to the Heathrow express
tunnels? That'd give extra options for joined up transport links.

No, I don't think so. The two sets of lines and platforms are separate,
and parallel to each other (the Airtrack tunnels are south of the HEx
tunnels). Even if there is a connection, it's not meant to be used by
service trains. In any case, the services will be more reliable if kept
separate.

The main disadvantage of Airtrack (either original or this) is that it only
gives through trains to T5, with a change there needed to access the Central
Area, and a further change to get to T4 (might as well get the bus from
Feltham). While there would be a slight reduction in reliability,
connectivity would be improved by linking Airtrack with HEx/HConn/Crossrail.

The other disadvantage of Airtrack-Lite is that journey times from
Waterloo/Clapham Junction would be very slow, and further changes would be
needed to get to the Reading line, or to Woking (for Main Line connections)
or Guildford.

Peter

Old October 28th 11, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Bruce" wrote:
[...]

I can't help thinking that providing through lines now is relatively
cheap as part of the main project, whereas adding them later when they
weren't originally planned is expensive. If it enabled another
connection that avoided central London, surely that's worth having.
Old October 30th 11, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I wonder how the ticket prices would be reckoned. Feltham and Heathrow
are in Zone 6, but Staines and Ashford (which the train passes through
are outside Zone 6.
Old October 30th 11, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 30/10/2011 19:05, JohnLon wrote:
I wonder how the ticket prices would be reckoned. Feltham and Heathrow
are in Zone 6, but Staines and Ashford (which the train passes through
are outside Zone 6.

It goes to an airport, so there will have to be a premium fare outside
the normal local system, ideally with the impression you can use a
normal ticket but something in the small print saying you can't, and the
instructions should be in English only and well hidden. And ideally the
station should have a slightly different name to the airport. Something
random like a suitcase surcharge would add to the fun.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 30th 11, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"JohnLon" wrote in message
I wonder how the ticket prices would be reckoned. Feltham and Heathrow
are in Zone 6, but Staines and Ashford (which the train passes through
are outside Zone 6.

No mystery, they'd be in either a special zone where National Rail fares
apply; as per Watford Jn, and 'zone G' on c2c routes outside zone 6; or if
the fares were usable zones 7,8 or 9.

If it ever happens the precedent will already be in use anyway, as the
greater Anglia franchise is extending PAYG outside the zones to Shenfield
and Hertford East next year some time...

Paul S