Old December 11th 11, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wimbledon to London Bridge?

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:52:50PM -0000, Ian F. wrote:
"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
I'm reading the new Sherlock Holmes story "The House of Silk" by Anthony
Horowitz, and I'm very much afraid that he hasn't done his homework
properly. He mentions a train service from Wimbledon to London Bridge
in November 1890. I very much doubt that such a service existed, am I
right? I'd like to check my facts before mentioning it in my book
review!

National newspaper reviews of the book have been excellent

As will mine be, I think.

Not sure in which publication(s) your review will appear, David, but I
share, in the context of the entire novel, the nationals' lack of concern
for the minutiae of 1890s rail travel!

Oh indeed, it's a tiny trivial thing, but it's quite early on in the
book and the possibility of it being hopelessly anachronistic alarmed
me. But anyway, it looks like he *did* do his homework - or at least,
even if no-one has come up with an 1890 timetable, there have been
enough such services over the years that it's not worth worrying about.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

There are two kinds of security, the one that keeps your sister
out, the one that keeps the government out and the one that
keeps Bruce Schneier out.

Old June 23rd 14, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It's been a few years.

I know that Horowitz is famous for his research and my belief when this thread was started was that he chose Wimbledon to London Bridge specifically because it was a lesser-known route. Was it a regular route in the 1890s?