Old December 15th 11, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Croxley Rail Link plan approved by Government

On Dec 15, 8:38*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote

The New Lines to Watford Junction, and the Bushey Triangle (to give access
to Croxley depot) were electrified in 1917, basically as soon as the
Bakerloo Line was ready to use it.

The Croxley Green branch was electrified in 1922 and the Rickmansworth
branch in 1927. This is just as likely to be post-war austerity and
dealing with Grouping as any other reason.

The Met Watford branch was opened in 1925, and electrified from the start,
though for the first few months half the service was provided by steam GC
trains from Marylebone. There was also, until 1934, a shuttle service
between Rickmansworth and Watford. When the Croxley link is opened is there
a case for an Amersham to Watford Junction service, as well as Met trains
from Aldgate/Baker Street?

Peter

A discussion on another forum has turned up this:
http://www.croxleyraillink.com/media...20re port.pdf
....which I asked for repeatedly during the consultation but never
got Fairly interesting, largely as expected, but it's the omissions
that are of more interest.

First up, the notion of a shuttle from the existing Watford Met is
given, but only to Croxley! Thus incurring all the engineering
headaches of a new bay platform and track work and staff...when a
perfectly good bay already exists at Rickmansworth....or heaven
forbid, Chesham.

Next up, no consideration is given whatsoever to reinstating the curve
between Bushey and the Croxley branch. Here's where it gets (more)
interesting. One option considered was reinstating the disused NR line
to Rickmansworth and making a junction to the Met main line. However,
they then propose closing the existing Met branch completely,
destroying the case as the Met route has great coverage. However, if
you reinstated the curve as discussed above, you could operate 2tph LO
to Watford Junction from Bushey, 2tph to Rickmansworth from Bushey,
and up to the full Met service via the NR route with new stations
serving the industrial estates, and having a grade-separated
interchange between the two at Cardiff Road, (with total segregation
if you gave up the Bushey to Watford High Street services).

Finally, the West Herts metro is given, but only considered as a light
rail tram or tram-train. The massive amounts of on-street running
required destroying the case for that, and only cursory mention given
to a bridge or tunnel to cross the WCML. Whilst I fully expect the
tunnel to be expensive, it would have been more helpful for a heavy
rail option using said tunnel to have been considered.

Old December 16th 11, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 15/12/2011 08:38, Peter Masson wrote:

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote

The New Lines to Watford Junction, and the Bushey Triangle (to give
access to Croxley depot) were electrified in 1917, basically as soon
as the Bakerloo Line was ready to use it.

The Croxley Green branch was electrified in 1922 and the Rickmansworth
branch in 1927. This is just as likely to be post-war austerity and
dealing with Grouping as any other reason.

The Met Watford branch was opened in 1925, and electrified from the
start, though for the first few months half the service was provided by
steam GC trains from Marylebone. There was also, until 1934, a shuttle
service between Rickmansworth and Watford. When the Croxley link is
opened is there a case for an Amersham to Watford Junction service, as
well as Met trains from Aldgate/Baker Street?

Peter

Remind me: I am from Watford but live in Birmingham. There is a Croxley
and a Croxley Green Station. Which lines are they on?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
Old December 16th 11, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Martin Edwards" wrote

Remind me: I am from Watford but live in Birmingham. There is a Croxley
and a Croxley Green Station. Which lines are they on?

Croxley is the intermediate station on the Met Watford branch. Watford West
is the (closed) terminus of the LNWR branch from Watford Junction and
Watford High Street. The Croxley Link will be a new link from Croxley to
join the Croxley Green branch, which would be reopened, with teh stub from
Croxley to the Met's Watford terminus being closed. Met trains from Aldgate
and Baker Street via Harrow-on-the-Hill would be diverted over the link to
terminate at Watford Junction.

Peter

Old December 16th 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 16/12/2011 12:43, Peter Masson wrote:

"Martin Edwards" wrote

Remind me: I am from Watford but live in Birmingham. There is a
Croxley and a Croxley Green Station. Which lines are they on?

Croxley is the intermediate station on the Met Watford branch. Watford
West is the (closed) terminus of the LNWR branch from Watford Junction
and Watford High Street.

Er... for Watford West read Croxley Green! (Watford West was an
intermediate station between Watford High Street and Croxley Green.)

Old December 16th 11, 08:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Croxley white paper again LOL!

Old December 17th 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 16/12/2011 18:22, Peter Lawrence wrote:
On 16/12/2011 12:43, Peter Masson wrote:

"Martin Edwards" wrote

Remind me: I am from Watford but live in Birmingham. There is a
Croxley and a Croxley Green Station. Which lines are they on?

Croxley is the intermediate station on the Met Watford branch. Watford
West is the (closed) terminus of the LNWR branch from Watford Junction
and Watford High Street.

Er... for Watford West read Croxley Green! (Watford West was an
intermediate station between Watford High Street and Croxley Green.)

Thanks. I was unlear about all this even when I lived there.