Old January 28th 12, 07:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Jan 28, 8:10*am, "
wrote:

Nice picture, actually, it reminds me of the older rolling stock that
was still operating in the early 90s on Montreal AMT's Deux-Montagnes Line.

Pictured was a 1931 MU train built for the Reading Company to serve
its Philadephia suburban routes (11kv, 25 Hz). Some trains lasted in
service until 1990--60 years! (Though they had an extensive
rebuilding). Any kid who rode them became a train fan. Being
delivered now are the fifth generation of Silverliners.

I remember hearing that the M1/1a had a feature that once allowed
passengers to open the doors at stations . . .

Does anybody have any information about this or are there any pictures
of it?

The magazine of the Electric Railroaders' Association, "Headlights",
had an excellent big feature article describing the Metropolitan cars
when they entered service. I remember the article included mention of
the passenger control buttons, and it said they may be deactivated on
account of objection from the conductor's union. The idea may have
been to use them only at terminal stations so the door needn't be kept
open during long layovers allowing weather to get into the car.

(I don't remember the date of the issue. I think the ERA will
photocopy and mail out old issues upon request and a fee, this issue
would be worth getting for those interested in those cars.)

This feature is widely used in Europe, I should add. As well, the the
new rolling stock on the London Underground's Metropolitan line has it.

The NJT River Line has it, so that boarding or alighting passengers
may open the doors at station stops or at terminals. I think it's an
illuminated green button, but otherwise it's unmarked. The motorman
has to activate it; sometimes the motorman retains control of the
doors himself.

BTW, the NJT River Line is a more modern platform design--it's higher
than the US "low platform", but not as high as "high platform", so
freights can clear the station. Within the train the car ends above
the trucks are elevated and passengers must walk up steps to get to
those seats. In this way handicapped, bicyclists, and baby strollers
are easily accomodated.

Old January 28th 12, 08:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 28/01/2012 20:23, wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:10 am,
wrote:

[...]

They have customer-operated close features on some trains here in
Europe. The Hamburg U-Bahn has them, as do London Overground trains
(Can't reemember in the GOBLin's case, however) London Underground's
Central Line trains are fitted with open and close buttons for customers
but they were disabled a while ago, IIRC.

(I don't remember the date of the issue. I think the ERA will
photocopy and mail out old issues upon request and a fee, this issue
would be worth getting for those interested in those cars.)

This feature is widely used in Europe, I should add. As well, the the
new rolling stock on the London Underground's Metropolitan line has it.

The NJT River Line has it, so that boarding or alighting passengers
may open the doors at station stops or at terminals. I think it's an
illuminated green button, but otherwise it's unmarked.

What about the Newark City Subway or Hudson-Bergen Light Rail? Are the
doors customer-operated?

The motorman
has to activate it; sometimes the motorman retains control of the
doors himself.

Yes, I saw that at major stops on the Bremen tramway -- customers had to
operate doors themselves at all other stops.

I wonder if they do that at East Croydon on the Croydon Tramlink, which
also has customer-operated doors.

Can Croydon Tramlink drivers actually open doors, if they so choose? Or
can they only release them for customers to operate?

There are some places where the driver can only releases the doors for
the customers to open them, one example being certain types of rolling
stock on the Paris Metro.
Old January 28th 12, 08:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 28-Jan-12 14:23, wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:10 am, "
wrote:
[Passenger buttons to open doors] is widely used in Europe, I should
add. As well, the the new rolling stock on the London Underground's
Metropolitan line has it.

The NJT River Line has it, so that boarding or alighting passengers
may open the doors at station stops or at terminals. I think it's an
illuminated green button, but otherwise it's unmarked. The motorman
has to activate it; sometimes the motorman retains control of the
doors himself.

Such buttons seem to be common on "light rail" operations in the US.
The operator has two distinct controls: one to lock/unlock the doors and
another to open/close the doors. If he merely unlocks the doors, it is
up to the passengers to press a button to open the door(s) they wish to
use, which then automatically close again after a short time. This
seems advantageous in unpleasant weather, at lightly-used stations or at
terminals where the train may stop for an extended period.

BTW, the NJT River Line is a more modern platform design--it's higher
than the US "low platform", but not as high as "high platform", so
freights can clear the station.

The River Line uses 55cm platforms. "High" and "low" aren't terribly
meaningful when addressing an int'l audience that may be familiar with a
dozen different platform heights.

Old January 28th 12, 11:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On 2012\01\28 05:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Also, the two major freeways in the state are toll roads,

Unless I'm mistaken, the term "freeway" is only applied to roads which
are free to use. Tolled roads are called "turnpikes".
Old January 29th 12, 01:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 00:48:46 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2012\01\28 05:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Also, the two major freeways in the state are toll roads,

Unless I'm mistaken, the term "freeway" is only applied to roads which
are free to use. Tolled roads are called "turnpikes".

Freeway means limited access and no at grade intersections as opposed
to expressways which can have traffic lights and at grade
intersections.

Clark Morris
Old January 29th 12, 01:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Clark F Morris wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2012\01\28 05:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Also, the two major freeways in the state are toll roads,

Unless I'm mistaken, the term "freeway" is only applied to roads which
are free to use. Tolled roads are called "turnpikes".

Freeway means limited access and no at grade intersections as opposed
to expressways which can have traffic lights and at grade
intersections.

.. . . except where I live.
Old January 29th 12, 01:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 1/28/2012 9:37 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Clark F wrote:
Basil wrote:
On 2012\01\28 05:08, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Also, the two major freeways in the state are toll roads,

Unless I'm mistaken, the term "freeway" is only applied to roads which
are free to use. Tolled roads are called "turnpikes".

Freeway means limited access and no at grade intersections as opposed
to expressways which can have traffic lights and at grade
intersections.

. . . except where I live.

And the New York-New Jersey metropolitan region.