Old January 29th 12, 08:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

wrote in message
Here in London, some of the information boxes at bus stops have
a button that you can press in order to light them up, which
will allow a better view. But all busses have to be manually
flagged...

Only at those points which are a "Bus Stop (Request)", or on a
"Hail and Ride" section of a route.

There are also boarding and alighting points which are "Bus Stop
(Compulsory)". All in-service stage buses on routes that serve
that point must stop there, regardless of whether they have been
flagged [down], or requested to stop by passengers on board.

In practice, however, people don't realise the difference - and
flag down the bus anyway.

--
MatSav

Old January 29th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

In message , at 01:09:39
on Sun, 29 Jan 2012, Roger Traviss
remarked:
But presumably the "park" in "parkway" doesn't imply a constant traffic
holdup

[One of my favorite USA-isms has always been how y'all park on the
driveway, and drive on the parkway]

And how they have "Interstate" Highways in Hawaii and Alaska.

There are plenty of other "Intrastate Interstates"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...state_Highways

Then there are airports such as "Gary/Chicago International" which as
well as having no scheduled flights at all currently, never did have any
customs and immigration facilities.

I expect we could find some trains which are actually buses (all the
time, not just when disrupted) - we have them in UK too.
Old January 29th 12, 08:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 09:23:34 on Sun, 29 Jan
2012, " remarked:
And how they have "Interstate" Highways in Hawaii and Alaska.

I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

It's because the "Interstate" name refers to the funding programme, not
their destinations.
Old January 29th 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 09:40:45 on Sun, 29 Jan
2012, MatSav remarked:
There are also boarding and alighting points which are "Bus Stop
(Compulsory)". All in-service stage buses on routes that serve
that point must stop there, regardless of whether they have been
flagged [down], or requested to stop by passengers on board.

That's one of the oddities in Geneva (and quite likely other places)
where it appears that every bus stop is compulsory. It'd never work here
in Nottingham with bus stops every couple of hundred yards.
Old January 29th 12, 09:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 29/01/2012 09:40, MatSav wrote:
wrote in message
Here in London, some of the information boxes at bus stops have
a button that you can press in order to light them up, which
will allow a better view. But all busses have to be manually
flagged...

Only at those points which are a "Bus Stop (Request)", or on a
"Hail and Ride" section of a route.

There are also boarding and alighting points which are "Bus Stop
(Compulsory)". All in-service stage buses on routes that serve
that point must stop there, regardless of whether they have been
flagged [down], or requested to stop by passengers on board.

In practice, however, people don't realise the difference - and
flag down the bus anyway.

Yes, you are correct.

Old January 29th 12, 09:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , MatSav
writes

In practice, however, people don't realise the difference - and
flag down the bus anyway.

TfL effectively removed the difference several years ago. The current
policy is that drivers must stop at any bus stop whe

1. There are people waiting
2. There is a possibility that people are waiting
3. The driver's view of the bus stop is impaired
4. Someone has rung the bell

There was a proposal that they would remove the distinction between
"request stop" and "compulsory stop" signs in order to reflect this
change of policy, but I don't think this has yet started (presumably for
cost reasons).

Nonetheless, people do still flag down buses at stops (even compulsory
ones) served by more than one route, as there is otherwise a danger that
the bus required will simply sail straight past.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 29th 12, 01:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Roland Perry wrote:

[One of my favorite USA-isms has always been how y'all park on the
driveway, and drive on the parkway]

That is fantastic - I never thought about that but you are absolutely correct!
Old January 29th 12, 01:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

" wrote:

I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

Are there any underwater tunnels between islands in Hawai'i?

Even if there were, it wouldn't matter as it would still be one state. And of
course were talking about the Interstate Highway System...

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?
Old January 29th 12, 01:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Robert Neville wrote:

" wrote:

I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

Are there any underwater tunnels between islands in Hawai'i?

Even if there were, it wouldn't matter as it would still be one state. And of
course were talking about the Interstate Highway System...

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?

Wasn't it originally a Department of Defence project, inspired by the
autobahn network in Germany?

Britain's motorway system was always the responsibility of the
Ministry of Transport. While it also served a number of military
sites, I believe this was incidental. I am not aware of any of the
network having been promoted for principally military reasons.

Old January 29th 12, 02:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 29/01/2012 14:37, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

I don;t see how that is possible, considering that neither of them are
on any contiguous territory with other parts of the United States.

Are there any underwater tunnels between islands in Hawai'i?

Even if there were, it wouldn't matter as it would still be one state. And of
course were talking about the Interstate Highway System...

Trivia question (no fair Googling the answer): What was the primary
justification/purpose of the Interstate Highway System?

Movement of troops? That's often the reason for improving transport routes.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail