Old January 31st 12, 06:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL use of English

We were about to embark at Dover, when () came up
to me and whispered:

Ring the bell?

thus distracting his attenton whilst the vehicle is in motion...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old January 31st 12, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
21:58:00 on Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Paul Cummins
remarked:
Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

You ring the bell, which is part of his task to listen for and therefore
not officially a distraction.
Old January 31st 12, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:23:00
on Mon, 30 Jan 2012, redcat remarked:
Public transportation signage is a culture like no other.

And announcements. There's one at my local station "Security personnel
patrol this station 24 hours a day", which is neither true [it's
deserted from about 9pm onwards] and improbable [they'd be sleepwalking
half the time].
Old January 31st 12, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

Those signs used to include a "without good cause" disclaimer.

Old February 6th 12, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

And,staying with buses, there's the old "No standing forward of this
point" notices - Fair enough, if followed with "whilst the vehicle is
in motion", but many aren't.

If you're not allowed to stand by the driver's window, how are you
supposed to ask for, and purchase a ticket? Board the bus, sit on the
floor immediately, and shout up at him/her?

Old February 7th 12, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 31, 1:23*am, redcat wrote:

I adore signage in the UK. Getting off the LHR - MAN flight we met a
sign that read "Do not place fud here" So now we know LOL cats work at
MAN airport!

Not FOD, i.e. Foreign Object Damage, which tends to get extended to
refer to the Foreign Objects that might cause the Damage (or an
alternate interpretation "Foreign Object Debris")?

Neil