Old May 18th 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tramlink doubling - Mitcham to Mitcham Junction

On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:49:56 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 08:05:04 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 12:32:48 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

Correct - it's my understanding that improved frequency is the
reason for the double tracking. I think the long term plan is to
restore double track on all of the Wimbledon line but Wimbledon
station is a particular problem.

Especially when you consider that the existing platform is also down
for changes in the London and SE RUS's proposal for 5 tracking the
SWML from from Surbiton; i.e. Thameslink will be displaced onto the
current tram platform.

No indications of where they'd move the trams, but some people might
be pleased if it removed the confusion about Oyster PAYG once and for
all. (As discussed here in uk.t.l now and again.)

Is there any possibility of bringing it up to street level or are the
roads in that area too crowded already?

Where, though? The road layout at Wimbledon station doesn't seem too
suitable or accessible from the Tramlink approach to me.

I was thinking from further back on the line, well before the bridge
(eg, up Hartfield Road or Crescent, perhaps one-way up one road and
back down another). The double track section starts some distance from
the station, so getting people to walk to new platforms from the
existing station wouldn't go down well, eg, see the waiting tram in
this view:
http://binged.it/J2xrXQ

That picture illustrates the problem quite well. You would approach up a
residential road that is a one-way street and then have a sharp bend into
Hartfield Road.

If the tram got on to Hartfield Rd at the Kingston Rd junction, it
looks like a fairly easy transition, on the level. It would then
follow Hartfield Rd all the way up to the Bridge and would pass
outside the front of the station, proceeding on to Wimbledon Hill Rd,
possibly all the way up to the village. Alternatively, it could just
follow Hartfield Rd straight on to The Braodway. It would follow the
one-way system on the return, coming via The Broadway, Gladstone Rd
and Sir Cyril Black Way.

Old May 18th 12, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/05/2012 12:32, Paul Scott wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Correct - it's my understanding that improved frequency is the reason
for the double tracking. I think the long term plan is to restore
double track on all of the Wimbledon line but Wimbledon station is a
particular problem.

Especially when you consider that the existing platform is also down for
changes in the London and SE RUS's proposal for 5 tracking the SWML from
from Surbiton; i.e. Thameslink will be displaced onto the current tram
platform.

No indications of where they'd move the trams, but some people might be
pleased if it removed the confusion about Oyster PAYG once and for all.
(As discussed here in uk.t.l now and again.)

Paul S

Are there any details for the five tracking to Surbiton?
Old May 19th 12, 01:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:49:56 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 08:05:04 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That amount of street running would, I suspect, be a very expensive
solution. You'd also lose the Dundonald Road tram stop.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 19th 12, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 May 2012 23:27:30 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

Are there any details for the five tracking to Surbiton?

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...20strategy.pdf

pdf pages 19 and 20 talks about the option but there isn't huge
detail.

There's also a track layout on page 134 of the same document in the more
detailed descriptions of various schemes.

Paul S

Old May 20th 12, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that, I can't see it happening because of the cost & the
disruption.

Old May 21st 12, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:54:22AM +0100, Recliner wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2012 02:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:16:27 UTC+1, Dr. Sunil wrote:
This stretch is being doubled, started some weeks back, but much work
still left to be done. The section was shut last weekend. New track
looks like it will be laid to the south of the current track.

It always worked well as a single track; but I suppose this will speed up the service.

Surely it allows a more frequent service, rather than reduced journey
times.

It will also mean that when trams deviate from the timetable the
effects on other trams won't be so bad and so delays will be reduced and
it'll be easier to get back to normal.

I remember when computers were frustrating because they did
exactly what you told them to. That seems kinda quaint now.
-- JD Baldwin, in the Monastery