Old June 2nd 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mitcham Eastfields Open

Although Eastfields didn't open this morning as planned, TFL report that
it opened at 16:00 today. For some reason, the BBC thought it wouldn't
open until later this week:

Paul Terry

Old June 2nd 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
Although Eastfields didn't open this morning as planned, TFL report that
it opened at 16:00 today. For some reason, the BBC thought it wouldn't
open until later this week:

They probably went by the local council's announcement on Friday that a 'new
date' would be confirmed later?

Paul S

Old June 2nd 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:20:11 on Mon, 2
Jun 2008, Paul Terry remarked:
Although Eastfields didn't open this morning as planned, TFL report
that it opened at 16:00 today. For some reason, the BBC thought it
wouldn't open until later this week:

At the time of writing (9am this morning) 4pm today *is* "later in the
week".
Old June 2nd 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

[originally posted to uk.transport.london]
[x-posted to uk.railway]

On 2 Jun, 16:20, Paul Terry wrote:
Although Eastfields didn't open this morning as planned, TFL report that
it opened at 16:00 today. For some reason, the BBC thought it wouldn't
open until later this week:

The LDB would certainly seem to indicate it has indeed opened now:

http://www.southernrailway.com/news....66&u=index.php

For the record, Southern had this to say - it was evidently written
before 4pm...
http://www.southernrailway.com/news.php?id=166

quote
Mitcham Eastfields station to open today - LATEST

June 2nd 2008

The new station at Mitcham Eastfields is now ready to open for
passenger service.

The first train to call at the station will be the 16:09 service to
Epsom. This service is from London Victoria, and for those who are
interested in being on the first train to call, the stop immediately
before Mitcham Eastfelds is Balham (16:02).

The first train to stop at Mitcham Eastfields on its way into London
will be the 16:11.
/quote

So, was anyone on the first train to stop there?!

I wonder what the delay was in opening the station - maybe it was just
to keep 'first train enthusiasts' on their toes! (Or maybe just allow
them a lie-in instead of a crack of dawn start...)
Old June 2nd 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2 Jun, 17:51, Mizter T wrote:
I wonder what the delay was in opening the station - maybe it was just
to keep 'first train enthusiasts' on their toes! (Or maybe just allow
them a lie-in instead of a crack of dawn start...)

I went down there last night for a look just as the builders were
packing up (I wasn't expecting it to open as early as today). The only
things amiss were a few noticeboards hadn't been put up and one
segment of the down platform's canopy was missing.

The official line was that regulatory safety checks hadn't been done.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old June 2nd 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

My train tonight, 18:31 London Bridge to Epsom had Eastfields on its
internal display, but I'm afraid I missed the driver's announcement
about whether or not the train was actually stopping there tonight.

Martin J.
Old June 2nd 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2 Jun, 18:27, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 2 Jun, 17:51, Mizter T wrote:

I wonder what the delay was in opening the station - maybe it was just
to keep 'first train enthusiasts' on their toes! (Or maybe just allow
them a lie-in instead of a crack of dawn start...)

I went down there last night for a look just as the builders were
packing up (I wasn't expecting it to open as early as today). The only
things amiss were a few noticeboards hadn't been put up and one
segment of the down platform's canopy was missing.

The official line was that regulatory safety checks hadn't been done.

HMRI (if it was the HMRI) evidently don't do sunday inspections then!

When I passed by late on Friday I was half-hoping I might be able to
get a ticket machine to spew out the first ever Mitcham Eastfields
ticket - alas no, the place was still crawling with workmen!

Can anyone say exactly how long this station took to be built - i.e.
from the start the proper construction phase? It's certainly been
fairly rapid - well under a year.

And is there anywhere else in Greater London which is similarly
deserving of a brand new railway station on an existing line?

I suppose under that criteria my vote would go for a Brixton station
on the South London Line (which will hopefully play host to ELLX
trains to & from Clapham Jn in years to come) - but that would be an
incredibly difficult and expensive station to build, unlike
Eastfield's quick-and-cheapish new modular station. Is there anywhere
else deserving that's like Eastfields in London - somewhere where the
line is running more or less flat on the ground, not high up on an
embankment or viaduct or low in a cutting or even in a tunnel - i.e.
any *realistic* suggestions?
Old June 2nd 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 2 Jun, 18:27, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 2 Jun, 17:51, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

When I was a Guard learning the 'road' in 1980 I was told Eastfields station
would be built and opening soon.

Old June 2nd 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
11:58:08 on Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Can anyone say exactly how long this station took to be built - i.e.
from the start the proper construction phase? It's certainly been
fairly rapid - well under a year.

It would be interesting to know. East Midlands Parkeway, which is
supposed to be open in December, is currently just a load of mud. It may
have some foundations, or it may not, it's difficult to see, through the
mud.
Old June 2nd 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:58:08 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

And is there anywhere else in Greater London which is similarly
deserving of a brand new railway station on an existing line?

I suppose under that criteria my vote would go for a Brixton station
on the South London Line (which will hopefully play host to ELLX
trains to & from Clapham Jn in years to come) - but that would be an
incredibly difficult and expensive station to build, unlike
Eastfield's quick-and-cheapish new modular station. Is there anywhere
else deserving that's like Eastfields in London - somewhere where the
line is running more or less flat on the ground, not high up on an
embankment or viaduct or low in a cutting or even in a tunnel - i.e.
any *realistic* suggestions?

Oh you've wrecked the criteria! I was going to suggest St Ann's Road /
Seven Sisters Road on the GOBLIN as well as Forest Road, Winchester Road
and Chingford Hatch on the Chingford - Liverpool St line. These extra
stations would hugely increase the catchment areas for these lines even
though I recognise they would slow overall journey times.

If Network Rail were feeling suitably insane they could build an
interchange station at Ferry Lane Estate where the GOBLIN cross the Lea
Valley line via Tottenham Hale. Obviously not every Lea Valley train
could stop as it's reduce line capacity but the locals to Hertford East
could possibly provide a half decent service.

Unfortunately they're all high up or down in dips!

--
Paul C