Old May 17th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tramlink doubling - Mitcham to Mitcham Junction

This stretch is being doubled, started some weeks back, but much work
still left to be done. The section was shut last weekend. New track
looks like it will be laid to the south of the current track.

Old May 18th 12, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:16:27 UTC+1, Dr. Sunil wrote:
This stretch is being doubled, started some weeks back, but much work
still left to be done. The section was shut last weekend. New track
looks like it will be laid to the south of the current track.

It always worked well as a single track; but I suppose this will speed up the service.
Old May 18th 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 May 2012 02:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

On Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:16:27 UTC+1, Dr. Sunil wrote:
This stretch is being doubled, started some weeks back, but much work
still left to be done. The section was shut last weekend. New track
looks like it will be laid to the south of the current track.

It always worked well as a single track; but I suppose this will speed up the service.

Surely it allows a more frequent service, rather than reduced journey
times.
Old May 18th 12, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Correct - it's my understanding that improved frequency is the reason
for the double tracking. I think the long term plan is to restore
double track on all of the Wimbledon line but Wimbledon station is a
particular problem.

Especially when you consider that the existing platform is also down for
changes in the London and SE RUS's proposal for 5 tracking the SWML from
from Surbiton; i.e. Thameslink will be displaced onto the current tram
platform.

No indications of where they'd move the trams, but some people might be
pleased if it removed the confusion about Oyster PAYG once and for all.
(As discussed here in uk.t.l now and again.)

Paul S
Old May 18th 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 May 2012 12:32:48 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

Correct - it's my understanding that improved frequency is the reason
for the double tracking. I think the long term plan is to restore
double track on all of the Wimbledon line but Wimbledon station is a
particular problem.

Especially when you consider that the existing platform is also down for
changes in the London and SE RUS's proposal for 5 tracking the SWML from
from Surbiton; i.e. Thameslink will be displaced onto the current tram
platform.

No indications of where they'd move the trams, but some people might be
pleased if it removed the confusion about Oyster PAYG once and for all.
(As discussed here in uk.t.l now and again.)

Is there any possibility of bringing it up to street level or are the
roads in that area too crowded already?

Old May 18th 12, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote in
:

Is there any possibility of bringing it [tram lines approaching Wimbledon

Station] up to street level or are the
roads in that area too crowded already?

I suppose anything is possible, but there's no street in the right
orientation, wide enough, with space for the tracks to rise up and allowing
good interchange with the railway station. One, relatively cheap, option
might be to truncate the tram tracks at about the point where they become
single just short of going into the tunnel/bridge, and create a pedestrian
walkway from the station under the bridge in place of the single track.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |
Old May 18th 12, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 May 2012 08:05:04 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

Correct - it's my understanding that improved frequency is the reason
for the double tracking. I think the long term plan is to restore
double track on all of the Wimbledon line but Wimbledon station is a
particular problem.

Especially when you consider that the existing platform is also down for
changes in the London and SE RUS's proposal for 5 tracking the SWML from
from Surbiton; i.e. Thameslink will be displaced onto the current tram
platform.

No indications of where they'd move the trams, but some people might be
pleased if it removed the confusion about Oyster PAYG once and for all.
(As discussed here in uk.t.l now and again.)

Is there any possibility of bringing it up to street level or are the
roads in that area too crowded already?

Where, though? The road layout at Wimbledon station doesn't seem too
suitable or accessible from the Tramlink approach to me.

I was thinking from further back on the line, well before the bridge
(eg, up Hartfield Road or Crescent, perhaps one-way up one road and
back down another). The double track section starts some distance from
the station, so getting people to walk to new platforms from the
existing station wouldn't go down well, eg, see the waiting tram in
this view:
http://binged.it/J2xrXQ
Old May 18th 12, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 08:05:04 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That picture illustrates the problem quite well. You would approach up a
residential road that is a one-way street and then have a sharp bend into
Hartfield Road.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 18th 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:16:27 UTC+1, Dr. Sunil wrote:
This stretch is being doubled, started some weeks back, but much work
still left to be done. The section was shut last weekend. New track
looks like it will be laid to the south of the current track.

It always worked well as a single track; but I suppose this will speed up the service.

Surely it allows a more frequent service, rather than reduced journey
times.

And more robust service, so any delays to the more frequent trams won't
rapidly propagate across the system causing general chaos.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK