Old May 28th 12, 10:56 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London National Rail - Permits To Travel discontinued but stillrequired by Law !!!

On 28/05/2012 11:42, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 27/05/2012 16:41, Paul Scott wrote:

How else did SWT systematically remove them from every station they run
(with a few exceptions where there is no TVM)?

Are there any left, I thought they'd all been converted now?

Redbridge, Millbrook and Beaulieu Rd are the three locally, they each
just have a permit machine, but it is a new style by S&B, not the
familiar NSE red painted device.

Makes sense I suppose, there can't be a lot of traffic at those
stations. I'm always surprised that Beaulieu Road is still open IIRC
even the local pub/hotel has shut.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old May 28th 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 28/05/2012 11:42, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
Redbridge, Millbrook and Beaulieu Rd are the three locally, they each
just have a permit machine, but it is a new style by S&B, not the
familiar NSE red painted device.

Makes sense I suppose, there can't be a lot of traffic at those stations.
I'm always surprised that Beaulieu Road is still open IIRC even the local
pub/hotel has shut.

It's quite unusual in having a far better service on Sundays than on Mon -
Sat.

Paul S

Old May 28th 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28/05/2012 12:01, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 28/05/2012 11:42, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
Redbridge, Millbrook and Beaulieu Rd are the three locally, they each
just have a permit machine, but it is a new style by S&B, not the
familiar NSE red painted device.

Makes sense I suppose, there can't be a lot of traffic at those
stations. I'm always surprised that Beaulieu Road is still open IIRC
even the local pub/hotel has shut.

It's quite unusual in having a far better service on Sundays than on Mon
- Sat.

People going for a walk in the forest perhaps.

Old May 28th 12, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 07:14:24PM +0100, Bruce wrote:
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:
Permit To Travel machines predate the widespread use of automatic ticket
barriers. In the old days it was frequently possible to travel between two
stations and not encounter any ticket inspection whatsoever at any point in
the journey, especially if you travelled off-peak and/or didn't start/finish
at one of the biggest stations. It was thus very easy to get a PTT for just
5p and if you did come across an inspector you could claim that the ticket
machines at the start of your journey weren't giving change or taking notes
(something an inspector on the train or at another station could not verify)
and produce a £5 (or higher) note and pay your fare.

While doing this, you would have to be careful not to jangle the other
coins in your pocket. That would give the lie to your claim of having
only 5p.

If you have no idea how much the ticket is, it would be stupid to guess,
given that you don't know if there will be a manned ticket office at the
other end to sort it out for you. Sure, 5p is unrealistically low, but
given that there are single tickets less than two quid, I'd never put
more than a pound in, just to make sure I don't get ripped off.

The problem with the Permit to Travel machines is that they were based
on trust. If it was ever safe to trust people with this kind of
system (some would say that in the 1950s and 60s, it was) it certainly
isn't now.

True. But you can't solve social problems with technology. You need to
either have manned ticket offices, manned ticket barriers (where the man
can sell you a ticket or help you use the ticket machine; the ticket
machine must accept all common means of payment), or staff on trains
who, again, will accept all common means of payment. Southern, at
least, appear to be slowly learning this, although their ticket machines
are still a bit crap at selling travelcards.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some
investigative work which unfortunately involved a bucket of
puppies and a belt sander
-- after JoeB, in the Monastery
Old May 28th 12, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 07:04:27PM +0100, Bruce wrote:

Hmm. Wallets and coins don't really mix. I think the sharper edges
of the new steel coins will only make the situation worse.

The one I've been using for the past decade disagrees with you!

Admittedly, I'm one of those people who minimises the number of coins I
carry by handing shop staff useful amounts of change whenever possible.
If I'm buying something for GBP4.90, I might hand over five pound coins,
a 5p, a 2p and three pennies, hoping to just get a 20 back. This
sometimes confuses the innumerate no end.

Godliness is next to Englishness

Old May 28th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:45:06PM +0100, Peter Masson wrote:

Thanks for the analysis, but what is needed is information as to how a
passenger is treated in practice ...

My experience is that if after getting off a train you go straight to a
member of staff and tell them you need to buy a ticket, you won't have
any problems. The reason you don't have a ticket doesn't seem to
matter.

Now, admittedly I've not tried doing this and telling them I want a
ticket from just one stop up the line - I can see how they might get a
bit suspicious about that!

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
-- Alan Cooper
Old May 28th 12, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:13:43
on Mon, 28 May 2012, David Cantrell remarked:
My experience is that if after getting off a train you go straight to a
member of staff and tell them you need to buy a ticket, you won't have
any problems. The reason you don't have a ticket doesn't seem to
matter.

And LUL used to have ticket windows specifically for that purpose. What
was the thinking behind closing them?
Old May 28th 12, 12:25 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:01:00 on
Mon, 28 May 2012, Paul Scott remarked:
Makes sense I suppose, there can't be a lot of traffic at those
stations. I'm always surprised that Beaulieu Road is still open IIRC
even the local pub/hotel has shut.

It's quite unusual in having a far better service on Sundays than on
Mon - Sat.

Tourists, presumably.
Old May 28th 12, 03:56 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote

It's quite unusual in having a far better service on Sundays than on Mon -
Sat.

A feature it shares with the Norfolk Broads stations of Berney Arms and
Buckenham. Berney Arms has two trains eachj way Mondays to Saturdays, but 4
or 5 on Sundays, while Buckenham now seems to have no service Mondays to
Fridays, one each way on Saturdays, but 3 or 4 on Sundays.

Peter

Old May 29th 12, 07:22 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 28, 11:42*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

On 27/05/2012 16:41, Paul Scott wrote:
How else did SWT systematically remove them from every station they run
(with a few exceptions where there is no TVM)?

Are there any left, I thought they'd all been converted now?

Redbridge, Millbrook and Beaulieu Rd are the three locally, *they each just
have a permit machine, but it is a new style by S&B, *not the familiar NSE
red painted device.

I'd expect Longcross to have no TVM, (as NR Enquires confirms), *but I'd
have to search for a fifth station, someone else may know...

Paul S

Holton Heath has a permit to travel machine

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/hol/details.html