Old June 7th 12, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default taxi to airport in London

Wrong. This is not a "Driving test" as the DSA do not implement it.

It is a Conduct test.

It's sometimes hard to tell on Usenet who is right and who is wrong so,
having had a few minutes spare to waste, I did a little digging.

As regards the term "driving test", it is used both in the underlying
legislation (the London Cab Order 1934
(1934 No. 1346)) and colloquially by TfL and the DSA for what taxi
drivers in some areas are required to undertake.

Turning to who carries out the test/assessment/whatever, TfL think they
have a contract with DSA to design and carry out the tests; and DSA
think they run them and invite people to book them on their website.
See eg
http://www.dft.gov.uk/fyn/practical.php
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpar...ire/17726.aspx)
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ase-in-VAT.pdf

Of course I may well have missed something but at that point I moved on
to waste my time on other things
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old June 8th 12, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Robin) came up
to me and whispered:

As regards the term "driving test", it is used both in the
underlying legislation (the London Cab Order 1934
(1934 No. 1346)) and colloquially by TfL and the DSA for what
taxi drivers in some areas are required to undertake.

and it's broadly the same application process for Taxi and PHV licensing.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...river-operator
-and-vehicle-licensing-guidelines.pdf

Including the requirement to hold an EEA licence, have a CRB check and,
if previously living abroad, to supply a "Certificate of Good Conduct".

And any licenced hackney driver would know this, as he has to jump
through exactly the same hoops as a PHV driver, ad has done for more than
10 years. So any Hackney Carriage driver claiming otherwise is either 10
years out of date or deliberately stirring **** to cause Fear,
Uncertainty and Doubt.

"Look at us - we're proerly checked and licensed" - Just like John
Worbouys was:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...cd=2&ved=0CFgQ
FjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2 Fuknews%2Flaw-and-order%
2F5194618%2FBlack-cab-rapist-serial-sex-attacker-John-Worboys-jailed-indef
initely.html&ei=sUDRT42GKeO-0QXcnZAy&usg=AFQjCNHC14Uwpy5Hkv06xui4Y24ilT4h1
g&sig2=8byObS7w5qG6cZkVt3EB3w

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old June 8th 12, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And any licenced hackney driver would know this, as he has to jump
through exactly the same hoops as a PHV driver, ad has done for more
than 10 years.

"Exactly" apart from (in London) "the knowledge" and from the test by
the DSA (if you do now accept that it is a test and by the DSA)?

Old June 8th 12, 03:22 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard J.[_3_] View Post

True, but don't assume that it's always the taxi driver that has the
knowledge. In my last two cab journeys, both involving heavily
congested roads, the minicab driver (Monarch Radio Cars, W4) was superb,
both in driving skills and knowledge of the street network. By
contrast, the taxi driver with an all-London badge, hailed on the street
at Edgware Road H&C station, needed advice from me on 4 separate
occasions because he evidently had very poor knowledge of West London.
Your experience is quite typical of many who hail a taxi in Central London
and want to go to the suburbs. Although most green badge taxi drivers
know Central London extremely well, many are out of their depth in the suburbs,
particularly the outer suburbs. It's one of the reasons taxi drivers sometimes
refuse to take passengers to the leafy suburbs. (The other main reason,
of course, is that they are unlikely to get a fare back into the middle)

Your other point is also valid. Many minicab drivers know their patch
very well indeed and have no difficulty finding alternative routes when
the main routes are congested.
Old June 8th 12, 03:27 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hughes[_2_] View Post

The best know one is - or should be - that PH vehicles are only insured
for pre-booked jobs, yet people will still get into a vehicle that is
not booked. If the drivers are prepared to break the law on hiring, ask
yourself what other laws they are prepared to break.
I suspect this consideration is theoretical only. If a minicab is involved
in an accident, is his insurer going to investigate if the journey had been
pre-booked?
Old June 8th 12, 03:35 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hughes[_2_] View Post
Which is more likely to be higher that the meter rate. Minimum fare for
the best known minicab firm is £12.oo minimum fare for a taxi £2.40. The
majority of day time fares are less than £10 so using a minicab will
cost more - and they can't legally go into bus lanes, or through Oxford
Street.
[i]
I suppose you're referring to Addison Lee. Their prices are far higher
than those of a typical minicab firm. Most minicab firms' minimum
charges are between £3.50 and £5.00. By the way, anyone can
drive down Oxford Street after 19.00 hours, even minicab drivers.
Old June 8th 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\06\08 16:22, Robin9 wrote:
'Richard J.[_3_ Wrote:
;131057']

[...]

...although the suburban taxi drivers found at suburban ranks have done
the knowledge for their suburban area and know the suburbs better than
anyone.
Old June 8th 12, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:27:31 on Fri, 8
Jun 2012, Robin9 remarked:
If a minicab is

involved in an accident, is his insurer going to
investigate if the journey had

been pre-booked?

If doing so avoids paying out to that passenger, of course they will!