Old June 10th 12, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Wifi

On 10/06/2012 13:04, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:57:27 on Sun, 10 Jun
2012, " remarked:
Say, instead of installing wi-fi and having hipsters cram stations
looking at their "really cool" websites or blogs, why don't the mobile
service providers simply work on installing regular service -- at
least within stations.

They did, but it proved to be too expense. And if there were all
networks represented, with no domestic roaming, it would be up to 4x
that expensive

It was only ever going to be a single installation, with the system
likely being shared by the networks. (IIRC on the T&W Metro, coverage
was initially Orange only, but the other networks got a look in after a
short while.) There's no chance on the Tube of there being 2/3/4/5
competing installations from different networks.

Old June 10th 12, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:45:41 on Sun, 10 Jun
2012, Mizter T remarked:
Say, instead of installing wi-fi and having hipsters cram stations
looking at their "really cool" websites or blogs, why don't the mobile
service providers simply work on installing regular service -- at
least within stations.

They did, but it proved to be too expense. And if there were all
networks represented, with no domestic roaming, it would be up to 4x
that expensive

It was only ever going to be a single installation, with the system
likely being shared by the networks.

Domestic roaming, or multiple antennae?

Old June 11th 12, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:45:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 10/06/2012 13:04, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:57:27 on Sun, 10 Jun
2012, " remarked:
Say, instead of installing wi-fi and having hipsters cram stations
looking at their "really cool" websites or blogs, why don't the mobile
service providers simply work on installing regular service -- at
least within stations.

They did, but it proved to be too expense. And if there were all
networks represented, with no domestic roaming, it would be up to 4x
that expensive

It was only ever going to be a single installation, with the system
likely being shared by the networks. (IIRC on the T&W Metro, coverage
was initially Orange only, but the other networks got a look in after a
short while.) There's no chance on the Tube of there being 2/3/4/5
competing installations from different networks.

This has of course all happened before with Rabbit back in the early 90s
(or was it late 80s? Can't remember). That turned out well.

B2003

Old June 11th 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Very fast wick at the moment at Victoria.
From the platform surely I could make a phone call using say Skype for android?
Old June 11th 12, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
03:46:04 on Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Offramp remarked:
From the platform surely I could make a phone call using say Skype for android?

If you can authenticate (still not sure if you have to "sign in") then
there's the possibility to use Skype-wifi phones. Although like Rabbit,
these didn't catch the imagination of the public.
Old June 11th 12, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The only rabbit sign I know still attached to a building is in a street very near Euston Square. I like making phone calls directly under it, then pretending to lose reception and angrily shaking my fist at it.
Old June 12th 12, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:09:56 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
It was also a very high-functioning cordless phone for use a home.
Despite several attempts, I don't think there's yet a comparable
solution that's caught on (a single phone to use cordless at home and
wireless at large).

That sounds like a solution that no longer has a problem. A lot of people
don't even have landlines at home now , they just rely on their mobiles.
Which is probably fine until there's an emergency and you can't find it.

B2003

Old June 12th 12, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:11:32 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
03:46:04 on Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Offramp remarked:
From the platform surely I could make a phone call using say Skype for

android?

If you can authenticate (still not sure if you have to "sign in") then
there's the possibility to use Skype-wifi phones. Although like Rabbit,
these didn't catch the imagination of the public.

A friend of mine is into Skype. Unfortunatly when he calls me from all of
7 miles away it sounds like he's calling on a CB radio from Mars. The call
quality is utterly abysmal. You'd think in the 21st century it would be
possible to come up with something that had better sound quality than an
system designed 100 years ago.

B2003