Old July 16th 12, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Drivers And The Olympics

Robin9 wrote on 16 July 2012
16:37:40 ...
'Richard J.[_3_ Wrote:
;131958']Robin9 wrote on 15 July 2012

23:00:41 ...-
'Richard J.[_3_ Wrote:-
;131953']Robin9
wrote on 15 July
2012

15:27:26 ...-
It is now evident that most motorists in London including taxi and
emergency services drivers have no idea when Olympic Lanes
come into force and during which hours and on what days they
will be in operation. This afternoon Petrie Hoskins - I hope I have
spelled her name correctly - has conducted a phone-in programme
on this subject and no-one, absolutely no-one, knew what was
going on. Anger at TfL was general and unlimited.-

People have no idea because it's not a simple question. Each Games
Lane

will be in operation for the days on which it is required. For
example

the M4 Games Lane from Heathrow (which operates from tomorrow, 16
July)

doesn't have the same operating days/times as the Games Lane to
Wimbledon for the Olympic tennis. This is no different from the way
bus

lanes are organised. If you asked me what the operating hours are for

random bus lane in London, I probably wouldn't know. So what? If I
happened to need to drive in that part of London, I would look at the
signs.

Emergency service drivers on emergency calls don't need to know, as
they

can use the Games Lanes anyway.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)-

People have no idea, not because the issue is not simple but because
they have
been given conflicting pieces of information. If you believe that
there
are "signs"
in all the appropriate places providing accurate and up-to-the-minute
information,
you are sorely mistaken.-

I didn't claim that all the signs are in place yet.
-
An example: We have been told that the Olympic Lanes come into force
today.-

By whom? Only the M4 lane starts today.
-
This afternoon I was driving up Shooters Hill Road towards the
Sun-In-The-Sands
roundabout. Near the roundabout the off-side lane has been marked as
an
Olympic
Lane. Was it in force this afternoon? I have no idea. Certainly there
was no sign
providing information nor has any sign been installed to provide
information in the
days ahead. So how are drivers to work it out by looking at the
signs?-

If there's no sign, it's not in force. Simple.
--
Richard J.

If only it were as simple as that. At present there is no sign installed
adjacent to most Olympic Lanes. So unless hundreds are installed in
the next few days, when the lanes do come into force there will be
no sign providing relevant information.

In that case the lanes would be unenforceable. The definition of a
Games Lane in the Traffic Regulation Orders includes the words "in
respect of which traffic signs are in place indicating the controls
specified in this Order". No signs - no Games Lane. So I expect that
lots of signs will suddenly appear shortly.
--
Richard J.

Old July 17th 12, 05:00 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard J.[_3_] View Post

In that case the lanes would be unenforceable. The definition of a
Games Lane in the Traffic Regulation Orders includes the words "in
respect of which traffic signs are in place indicating the controls
specified in this Order". No signs - no Games Lane. So I expect that
lots of signs will suddenly appear shortly.
--
Richard J.
This might make an interesting defence against the £130.00 fines
TfL are so joyfully threatening to impose on unauthorised motorists
who use Olympic Lanes. It does not however deal with the main
issue of motorists, because of ignorance and confusion, not using
lanes when they are allowed to and using them when they are not
allowed to.
Old July 17th 12, 05:14 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post

Isn't the position that the use of the ORN and Games Lanes is being
phased relative to the demand for the extra capacity? TfL are in a
no-win position - if they'd introduced all the lanes three weeks
before the Games with no one using them they'd be criticised. Instead
they've taken a phased approach of trying to keep normal road
conditions in place for as long as possible and Games Lanes as late as
possible to minimise "needless" disruption. And they're being
criticised for that approach too.

I'd like to see the armchair critics plan the road network and balance
all the competing requirements while also complying with the IOC
demands enshrined in legislation.

The fact is that the media are determined to every problem in to a
disaster. If there is a disaster then criticism will be fair. A minor
problem or a teething problem is not worthy of being turned in to a
disaster in and of itself. The key is that any lessons are learned
and done so quickly. It is not going to be perfect - that's
impossible.

If we have 2 months worth of today's inaccurate reporting we'll all be
in the nuthouse at the end of it.
--
Paul C
The official "line" peddled by TfL is that they will do everything possible

However they have already re-phased traffic lights a full week before the
games begin. For example Leyton High Road by the old Town Hall. Second
example: last weekend I drove through the Blackwall Tunnel and the lights
immediately before the tunnel were red for 5 minutes!

If the armchair critics had been tasked eight years ago to plan
road transport arrangements during the Olympics, we'd have a far
better and more appropriate road system than we have now!
Old July 19th 12, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:03:03 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

The fact is that the media are determined to every problem in to a
disaster. If there is a disaster then criticism will be fair. A minor
problem or a teething problem is not worthy of being turned in to a
disaster in and of itself. The key is that any lessons are learned
and done so quickly. It is not going to be perfect - that's
impossible.

If we have 2 months worth of today's inaccurate reporting we'll all be
in the nuthouse at the end of it.

I think there's a lot of both UK and foreign media all poised to
report an abundance of Olympic news, but somewhat short of real
stories to report so far, so they pounce on anything they find.
Presumably the foreign reporters are trying to provide background info
about Britain (cold, wet, bad traffic, high prices, bad food, etc),
while UK reporters report on what affects them personally (getting
around London).
Old July 20th 12, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:37:40 +0100, Robin9 wrote:
If only it were as simple as that. At present there is no sign installed

adjacent to most Olympic Lanes. So unless hundreds are installed in
the next few days, when the lanes do come into force there will be
no sign providing relevant information.

There are lots of signs with peel off layers ready to reveal the
restrictions including changes to stopping/parking and games lanes. Many
of the games lanes signs have solar powered illumination.

Old July 23rd 12, 08:13 AM
Junior Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:46:10 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

On 16/06/2012 13:42, Robin9 wrote:
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike. This
has been brought about by the demand from the trade union
UNITE that bus drivers should be paid a bonus in recognition of
the stress and extra work during the Olympics and the bus
companies' refusal even to discuss the matter with UNITE.

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Well - it's yet to be proven how much additional ridership and effort it
will be. The other thing to note that with the increase in capacity on
certain routes I'd have assumed that there may well be greater
opportunities for drivers to earn overtime and so on (giving them
greater income anyway).

Also, given that I assume bus drivers are paid based on time rather than
miles driven then what exactly is there additional workload over and
above their potential extra time getting to their depots or other driver
changeover points (the majority of which are not in the key central
areas which are going to be heavily affected by the Olympics in general).

In fact, the people who are primarily going to be affected are the usual
passengers with journeys taking longer, less opportunity to get a seat
and so on - are we to be compensated with lower fares as our bonus?
Thought no.

Of course, absolutely the same applies to train drivers and workers on
the DLR and so on - the only rationale for the bonus is essentially a
bung to try and make sure they do their contracted job correctly and
don't attempt to cripple London by striking during a time when it is key
to showcase the City (for everyone).

I thought LU drivers were paid salaries, not hours+overtime, so the
bonus is to compensate for the extra hours and shift flexibility
during the Olympics. But bus drivers do get overtime, so that's how
they should earn extra money for any extra time worked.
I am agree with you, there should be legal right for those driver depending their work, they also have right to get right value of their work.
On this matter organization should have to take action.

-Thanks for supporting
Old July 23rd 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:13:19 +0100
Mikehassy wrote:
I am agree with you, there should be legal right for those driver
depending their work, they also have right to get right value of their
work.
On this matter organization should have to take action.

-Thanks for supporting

So you think they should get paid via overtime or do you think they should get
a lump sum beforehand AND overtime which is what is happening?

Funny how whenever the grasping bus union reps are asked if the drivers would
be willing to work for less on quiet days they always dodge giving an answer.

B2003