Old June 19th 12, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Amersham with Zone 1-6 railcard

On 19/06/2012 22:01, Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

Go to amersham and pay the difference when you get there.

Which will be a penalty fare, 50 quid now I believe.

The OP is right to seek to do it first.

Neil

I have gone outside of zones stipulated on my ticket a few times in the
past. I told the wicket when I have arrived at my destination, and they
just made me pay a supplement.

Old June 20th 12, 06:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

£4.30 cash single, £8.60 return

Strikes me as silly that the "tourist tax" applies to extensions like that
when their holder might have no choice, e.g. have an outboundary paper
Travelcard.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 20th 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/06/2012 19:01, Barry Salter wrote:
If you're starting from a station inside the Travelcard Area, you can
get an Amersham to Zones 1-6 Travelcard for £11.60, which is NR's
workaround to deal with Zones 7-9.

I would have thought that would only allow you to make a return trip
from Amersham to the central (1-6) area, and back to Amersham again
(plus of course unlimited trips within the 1-6 zones), whereas I want to
use the London to Amersham journey first (which would involve using the
return half of that ticket before the outward).

--
Clive Page
Old June 20th 12, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/06/2012 18:10, Paul Corfield wrote:
A quick look at the wonderful brfares.com website brings up Boundary
Zone 6 to Amersham as

That is a wonderful website, I wonder if it is in any sense "official"
because I thought the ATOC considered fare information "commercial" and
so could not be released? But one defect (for my point of view) it
doesn't have fares to "London Thameslink" so it doesn't show the
cheapest fare from say Luton to London Bridge. I can't see any trace
of an email address on the site to point that out to them.

Using purely Oyster it is so simple you barely have to think about it.
Combining ticket media is much more involved as is the disparity
between cash and PAYG rates as evidenced by the above.

True, so for the journey I am planning (Luton to Amersham via London)
I'll have to price up using a Luton to London Thameslink plus an Oyster
card return from zone 1 to Amersham, and compare that with the Z1-6
Travelcard plus excess, and with getting a Z1-9 Travelcard (if they
still exist) starting from anywhere along my route.

--
Clive Page
Old June 20th 12, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Clive Page) came
up to me and whispered:

I thought the ATOC considered fare information "commercial" and
so could not be released?

In which case how could anyone buy a ticket?

"Yes sir, we can sell you a ticket, but can't tell you how much it will
cost. Would you please instert your credit card and we will deduct a
random amount from it."

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

Old June 20th 12, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote:

I would have thought that would only allow you to make a return trip from
Amersham to the central (1-6) area, and back to Amersham again (plus of
course unlimited trips within the 1-6 zones), whereas I want to use the
London to Amersham journey first (which would involve using the return
half of that ticket before the outward).

You can probably get the reverse of that (a BZ6 to Amersham return) from
the ticket office at Marylebone, no idea if valid on the Met though.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 20th 12, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:33:11 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On 20 Jun 2012 13:44:27 GMT, Neil Williams
wrote:

Clive Page wrote:

I would have thought that would only allow you to make a return trip
from Amersham to the central (1-6) area, and back to Amersham again
(plus of course unlimited trips within the 1-6 zones), whereas I
want to use the London to Amersham journey first (which would
involve using the return half of that ticket before the outward).

You can probably get the reverse of that (a BZ6 to Amersham return)
from the ticket office at Marylebone, no idea if valid on the Met
though.

It's a TfL fare and the route to Amersham is inter-available and has
been for decades.

TfL has BZ6 fares?

It has extension fares for every zonal combination to every LU / DLR /
Overground station - how else do both magnetic and PAYG fare
extensions work if you already hold a zonal travelcard?

Amersham is a LU station and fares are far as Amersham are priced by
TfL. I assume Chiltern price beyond Amersham.

I am not saying TfL price from ZB6 to every applicable NR
station*outside* the zones - just in case you're trying to put words
in my mouth.

OK, but no Oyster version? You have to get off a train within zone 6, touch
in and get on again. And presumably the same in the opposite direction,
touching out that time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 20th 12, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

It's also now possible to buy extension tickets from Tube ticket machines
(an possibility which is fairly new I think) - "Extension tickets" is an
option on the main menu screen.

They had something similar back in the 1990s but, in the loads of buttons
era, it was limited to a single zone extension for adults and had a flap
over the relevant button. Otherwise you had to use a ticket office and hope
that the staff would listen and not pull a fast one on you by selling a full
journey ticket.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old June 20th 12, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:09:00 on Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Paul Cummins
remarked:
I thought the ATOC considered fare information "commercial" and
so could not be released?

In which case how could anyone buy a ticket?

"Yes sir, we can sell you a ticket, but can't tell you how much it will
cost. Would you please instert your credit card and we will deduct a
random amount from it."

Not released in bulk. One trip at a time is different.

Oyster PAYG: zone 2 to zone 1 via zone 3 neverwas[_2_] London Transport 10 September 9th 09 06:53 AM
Chesham/Amersham changes decided Paul Scott London Transport 16 February 13th 09 09:45 PM
Amersham No Name London Transport 43 July 23rd 08 05:18 PM
Marylebone Amersham via Beaconsfield Walter Briscoe London Transport 4 November 13th 07 09:02 AM
Chiltern Services Between Amersham & Harrow Joe London Transport 45 February 25th 04 11:29 PM