Old October 3rd 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Kings Cross platform 0

Apart from at Euston where the platforms are now nearer Euston Road than
milepost 0 and so are regarded as being at a negative chainage.

Old October 3rd 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 01/10/12 23:42, mcp wrote:
Edinburgh Waverly had a lot more missing before the recent
renumbering.

The filled-in ones at the east end?

Ian
Old October 4th 12, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

The Real Doctor wrote in news:k4i9cv$cv8$1
@dont-email.me:

On 01/10/12 23:42, mcp wrote:
Edinburgh Waverly had a lot more missing before the recent
renumbering.

The filled-in ones at the east end?

Yes. When I was a lad, 1 was the through platform at the north side, 2 & 3
were the next bay which was taken over by the Post Office, the next bays
were 4 & 5, 6 & 7 and 8 & 9 (which became parking). 10 & 11 were the two
ends of the southern through road, then 12 & 13, 14 & 15, 16 & 17 were
west-facing bays numbered from south to north. 18, as I recall, was a
single track bay under the northern access ramp and 19 was the other end of
1. 20 & 21 were the 'sub' - the island platform outside the main shed to
the south.

The remains were still numbered thus until quite recently, when they added
a couple of new platforms and renumbered everything, much to the confusion
of old men like me. Fortunately there are still staff around who will
translate.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |
Old October 4th 12, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross platform 0 (Non UK reply)

wrote in message
According to the signs this new platform is for electric trains only, yet
saw an HST set in it on Saturday (13:36). Admittedly the engine wasn't
running on the power car under the buildings.

Is this a regular occurrence? If so why not change the signs?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Kumamoto (Kyushu, Japan) had platforms 0A and 0B when we were there a couple
of years ago but they've since built the Shinkansen and it wouldn't surprise
me if they renumbered the whole station.

Old October 6th 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:00:51 +0100, Charles Ellson
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:07:03 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:

In fact is there a clear list anywhere of which pairs of stations
definitely
are and aren't valid through interchanges on a single ticket?

For Oyster :-
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...on_interchange

There are also "emergency OSIs" mentioned in :-
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/out-of...terchange-osi/
(PVAL = passenger validator)

Thanks. I assume the regular ones are also valid for paper tickets?

Not that I have tried it but if you use the single fare finder on the
TfL website, the same fares are quoted for e.g. North Wembley to
Watford (Met) as are quoted for Northwick Park to Watford (Met) and a
12-minute walk from Kenton to Northwick Park is shown as part of such
a journey when fed into the journey planner for a journey during
normal weekday operation. In practice a "paper ticket" is unlikely to
be used for this journey rather than Oyster or a Travelcard but other
examples could be different if e.g. only a single journey was being
made and the "cash" fare was less than Oyster/Travelcard.

For the cranks: TfL will both quote 1.50 UKP for Watford Junction to
Watford (Met) and show it in the journey planner with the walk from
Kenton to Northwick Park although the details will have to be manually
fed in to the planner because moving from the Oyster fares page
changes the Watford (Met) destination to "Highbury Barn/Ldn
Metropolitan".

I suspect some of the permanent OSIs might be found in assorted
historic ticket inspectors' instructions. IIRC Kilburn High
Road/Kilburn Park and Kenton/Northwick Park (and the now West
Hampsteads?) feature in a 1938 LMS book.

I'm surprised that Aldgate & Aldgate East aren't a regular OSI - the number
of times that a Hammersmith & City train is nowhere to be seen would make
that a sensible route.

Old October 16th 12, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Well I used both Prague HL N and Ceske Budjevice last week and they seem to
have a system of numbering both faces of the platform with the same number
to make sure that you go up the correct subway steps and then indicating
which side of the platform the train is on at the top of the staires. No
numbering of non platform faces there.

Old October 17th 12, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

John C wrote:

"D7666" wrote in message
Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

--
Nick

The Dutch definitely do, not sure about the Belgians. The latter don't have
many stations with through lines anyway, the only one I can think of at the
moment is Charleroi Sud.

Indeed the Dutch number all their tracks. You will have a hard time to
find platform 3, 6, 9 or 12 at Amsterdam Centraal.