Old October 8th 12, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Default Dartford crossing

On 08/10/2012 11:19, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 08/10/2012 10:52, tim..... wrote:

wrote in message
I heard on LBC this morning that apparently the toll gates will be gone
by 2014
and a "free flow" system will be implemented. How does this work? Is
everyone
who every uses the bridge going to have to by an electronic tag or
will they
just do it by number plate recognition and send you a bill for 2 quid
in the
post? Or will they use ANPR to send you a fine of 100 quid if you don't
buy a tag (no doubt expensive) and just drive through?

Will probably be a free for all for foreign registered vehicles and
trucks.

I think that this is new territory for everybody and that the system of
collecting is almost certainly going to evolve over time. Other
countries
are experimenting with free flow charging and no one system has proved to
be entirely satisfactory.

I'd say Norway had got beyond the experimental stage (and charge over
15 pounds for the Finnøy Tunnel). Apparently you buy a tag for 20
pounds, and pre-load it using a credit card. Visitors can pay at petrol
stations based on ANPR within 3 days, or wait for an invoice from Euro
Car Parks.

You can also pay online.

Old October 8th 12, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 11:14:19 on Mon, 8 Oct
2012, d remarked:

So who did pay for them in 1963?

The two county councils.
Old October 8th 12, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:13:36 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:06:51 +0100
Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 08/10/2012 11:51,
d wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:19:20 +0100
Nick Finnigan wrote:
I'd say Norway had got beyond the experimental stage (and charge over 15
pounds for the Finnøy Tunnel). Apparently you buy a tag for 20 pounds, and
pre-load it using a credit card. Visitors can pay at petrol stations based
on ANPR within 3 days, or wait for an invoice from Euro Car Parks.

What happens if you take a UK reg vehicle over there and don't pay - do they
catch up with you?

ECP send you an invoice.

Are they a UK company? If not what can they do if you don't pay?

http://www.eurocarparks.com/about-us

A well known company in the UK for attempting to pursue massive charges
for the most trivial infractions in their car parks. Perhaps with the
clamp-down (sorry) on parking cowboys they may be branching out to claims
that are harder for people to contest.

Nick

Old October 8th 12, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:47:36 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:14:19 on Mon, 8 Oct
2012, d remarked:

So who did pay for them in 1963?

The two county councils.

Still government, not a private company.

B2003

Old October 8th 12, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

"David Walters" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:52:05 +0100, tim.....
wrote:
It would help, of course, if all of the tolling systems used the same
method
so that once registered, for example, for auto payment of the congestion
charge you automatically get registered for the Dartford crossing (and
the
Severn crossing, the Humber bridge, Mersey tunnels, etc, etc), but it
will
be ages before the various agencies can agree upon that.

Personally, I think that "Europe" should get involved in developing a
common
system so that once I am registered in the UK I can freely drive on, for
example, an Austrian Autobahn without having to worry about where to buy
little sticker (or even: having to find out if I need to buy a little
sticker in the first place!).

Something like the European Electronic Toll Service? There is a little
about it at
http://www.highways.gov.uk/our-road-...olling-service

Um no!

It's the "one piece of electronic equipment " bit that fails my expectation

I was thinking of a system with zero pieces of electronic equipment (in the
car).

tim

Old October 8th 12, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 08:37:21 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

I heard on LBC this morning that apparently the toll gates will be gone by
2014
and a "free flow" system will be implemented. How does this work? Is
everyone
who every uses the bridge going to have to by an electronic tag or will
they
just do it by number plate recognition and send you a bill for 2 quid in
the
post? Or will they use ANPR to send you a fine of 100 quid if you don't
buy a tag (no doubt expensive) and just drive through?

Will probably be a free for all for foreign registered vehicles and
trucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_road_tolling

which implies that "leakage" might be be tolerated as being cheaper than
100% collection

This would be fine if the leakage is random, but IMHO it bloody well isn't
if it is systematically based upon country of registration

http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio...ling_20080814/

And that's just about collecting the number plate IDs, not the money

tim

Old October 8th 12, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/10/2012 10:52, tim..... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I didn't mean that individual countries were experimenting, I meant that
each county has a different system, which they think is right for their
current circumstances, but which may not be right going forwards.

I note that the Norwegian system does not do away with manual payments,
which doesn't make it suitable as a solution where that is required.

tim