Old December 3rd 12, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Contactless ('wave-and-pay') payment progress?

In message , at 16:27:08 on
Sun, 2 Dec 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Every little helps.

Yes it certainly does when they insist they've scanned your goods
correctly when in fact they've overcharged you by £3 as Tescos
Tottenham did this afternoon. Bloody useless. I got it refunded but
only after having to queue all over again.

Indeed, they've messed up two "Any two for £3" type offers in the last
couple of months - failing to register it at the till once each for
myself and my wife. When they were sorting mine out they visited the
freezer shelf *three* times while trying to sort it out. It took ages
(as well as having to queue at customer disservice).

No wonder they're not doing as well as they once did if my experience
is in any indicative of their general performance.

They used to let you have the item free if it as mischarged, but not any
more.

Old December 3rd 12, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:53:56 on
Sun, 2 Dec 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:

I assume One Touch users pay a deposit as for any normal PAYG user.

If you mean the Barclays OnePulse, then no, I don't recall paying a
deposit. Nor for the replacement, which is a differently-numbered Oyster
Card, so you have to go through a significant palaver to transfer the
balance across.
Old December 3rd 12, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:12:59 on
Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
I assume One Touch users pay a deposit as for any normal PAYG user.

If you mean the Barclays OnePulse, then no, I don't recall paying a
deposit. Nor for the replacement, which is a differently-numbered Oyster
Card, so you have to go through a significant palaver to transfer the
balance across.

Interesting. Someone must "fund" the deposit element to allow cards to
go into a negative PAYG balance. The PAYG system is designed to work
in that way to avoid people being "trapped" within the system given
not every station has the facility (assistance window), open at all
times, to restore your balance within the paid area. You are
therefore allowed out in order to top up at a machine.

As it's also a conventional credit card I expect Barclays will stump up
if they ever actually have to. Maybe it's buried in the T&C somewhere
that they'll bill you if the card expires at the end of the three years
with a negative balance on it. And as I observed the other day, it's
quite likely these cards will have auto-top enabled anyway.
Old December 12th 12, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/11/2012 01:00, Mizter T wrote:
As per...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/19976.aspx

---quote---
Contactless debit and credit cards are making life easier. You can
already use them to pay for things wherever you see the contactless
symbol - and towards the end of 2012, you'll be able to use them on
buses as well.
---/quote---

With contactless card payments supposedly coming to other TfL modes in
2013.

It is however four and a bit weeks until "the end of 2012", and I ain't
heard anything about this. Absolutely no point in rushing it and bodging
it of course, but just wondering if anyone else is any the wiser as to
progress on this?

(I wonder if bus capping would work from day one - perhaps not, if the
beginning of Oyster Pre-Pay aka PAYG is taken as an indication.)

I've posted a new thread on this (perhaps I shouldn't have), but will
just add on here that contactless payments are set to be accepted on
London buses from tomorrow (12/12/12), reports the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027
Old December 12th 12, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/12/2012 21:47, Mizter T wrote:
[...]
I've posted a new thread on this (perhaps I shouldn't have), but will
just add on here that contactless payments are set to be accepted on
London buses from tomorrow (12/12/12), reports the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027

Tomorrow being 13/12/12 of course!