Old January 7th 13, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default So much for a 4% rise

On 4 Jan, 13:47, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 04:49:33 -0800 (PST)

77002 wrote:
On 4 Jan, 12:24, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 04:14:40 -0800 (PST)

77002 wrote:
later there was an increase. =A0It went up to 6d (2.5p). =A0I guess TfL
and its predecessors never looked back!

No doubt back then they were coming out with the same old guff about need=

ing
it for service improvements which are "just around the corner! Honest guv=

!".
Arthur Daley would be embarrassed to do to his customers what TfL do to i=

ts
passengers on a daily basis. Still, I'm back in the car next week so ****=

em.

One sympathises with your sentiment. *From my perspective, my time in
the UK is enhanced by not driving.

Don't get me wrong - I don't find driving to work in the car enjoyable. The
north circular is a hideous road. But its cheaper , quicker, more comfortable
and far fewer abnormal delays. In fact the one time the road was completely
stuffed and I ended up crawling along in a 6 mile jam it was still a few
minutes quicker than the normal non delayed tube journey. For anything other
than into central london the tube is hopeless. As for the NLL which I tried
once, ye gods - a horse and cart would have been quicker!

It is interesting that you should mention the NLL. As of now I have
not used the SLL Overground or the Watford DC lines in their new
incarnation.

However, I have tried out the rest of the Overground. My opinion is
as follows: Eastern side of the system, those rotes coming in from
Croydon, et al, are the epitome of a modern urban railway, frequent
and reasonably fast. The NLL has refurbished stations and new trains,
but is slow. But, the NLL speed is almost sensible when compared with
the WLL. The amble from Clapham Junction thru Chelsea, Brompton,
Olympia, Shepherds Bush, et al is pitiful.

Other than speed the Overground is great system. What is the
problem? Surely it is fixable?

Old January 7th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 04:24:37 -0800 (PST)
77002 wrote:
Other than speed the Overground is great system. What is the

And the 10 - 15 minute wait for trains. And the fact that it doesn't
interchange with the northern (either branch), piccadilly or central line
at acton. Thats not TfLs fault but you'd have thought if they're really
selling this is a hub railway they'd have sorted something out by now.

B2003

Old January 7th 13, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

77002 wrote:
Other than speed the Overground is great system. *What is the

And the 10 - 15 minute wait for trains. And the fact that it doesn't
interchange with the northern (either branch), piccadilly or central line
at acton. Thats not TfLs fault but you'd have thought if they're really
selling this is a hub railway they'd have sorted something out by now.

AFIK an interchange with the Northern Line is not doable. The lack of
platforms where it passes the Central Line is inexcusable. That one
is low hanging fruit. What is the geography where the Overground
Crosses the Piccadilly? Would both lines need new platforms?

Old January 7th 13, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 07/01/2013 12:24, 77002 wrote:

Other than speed the Overground is great system. What is the
problem?

The rude and unhelpful staff at South West Trains?

I went to Bracknell station yesterday (about 14:15) to buy a ticket to
London Waterloo for today, but the machine informed me that it would not
sell ticets for tomorrow until after 15:00

So I got in the (long) queue for the only open counter.

15 minutes later, I was number two in the queue when the attendant (Paul
Carter, Shift Leader, according to his badge) announced that he was
closing, and that anybody remaining in the queue would have to buy their
ticket from the machine.

The guys in front walked away, so I explained to Mr Carter that the
machine wouldn't give me the ticket I needed.

"Tough" he replied, and pulled down the blinds.

Surely it is fixable?

Of course - when they legalise euthanasia.

Old January 7th 13, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

77002 wrote:
Other than speed the Overground is great system. What is the

And the 10 - 15 minute wait for trains. And the fact that it doesn't
interchange with the northern (either branch), piccadilly or central line
at acton. Thats not TfLs fault but you'd have thought if they're really
selling this is a hub railway they'd have sorted something out by now.

AFIK an interchange with the Northern Line is not doable. The lack of
platforms where it passes the Central Line is inexcusable.

There isn't any road access, and N Acton station is on the wrong side of the
main road for a walkway on railway land to be sensible. IMHO

tim

Old January 7th 13, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 7 Jan, 15:53, "R. McGeddon" wrote:
On 07/01/2013 12:24, 77002 wrote:

Other than speed the Overground is great system. What is the
problem?

The rude and unhelpful staff at South West Trains?

SWT, nor their parent, operate the London Overground network.

I went to Bracknell station yesterday (about 14:15) to buy a ticket to
London Waterloo for today, but the machine informed me that it would not
sell tickets for tomorrow until after 15:00

I had no idea the Overground had reached Bracknell.

So I got in the (long) queue for the only open counter.

15 minutes later, I was number two in the queue when the attendant (Paul
Carter, Shift Leader, according to his badge) announced that he was
closing, and that anybody remaining in the queue would have to buy their
ticket from the machine.

The guys in front walked away, so I explained to Mr Carter that the
machine wouldn't give me the ticket I needed.

"Tough" he replied, and pulled down the blinds.

So you reported the SoB to SWT, right? I am sure they will apologise,
and maybe make amends. He might be reprimanded. I doubt they would
sack the SoB, the RMT would not be happy.

Surely it is fixable?

Of course - when they legalise euthanasia.

They already do it to babies.

Old January 8th 13, 10:40 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77002 View Post
However, I have tried out the rest of the Overground. My opinion is
as follows: Eastern side of the system, those rotes coming in from
Croydon, et al, are the epitome of a modern urban railway, frequent
and reasonably fast. The NLL has refurbished stations and new trains,
but is slow. But, the NLL speed is almost sensible when compared with
the WLL. The amble from Clapham Junction thru Chelsea, Brompton,
Olympia, Shepherds Bush, et al is pitiful.

Other than speed the Overground is great system.
Although the high patronage of the new Shepherds Bush station proves that
constructing it was a good idea, I must point out that previously the trains used
to sprint between North Pole Junction and Kensington Olympia. Ah, the high price
of progress!

Last edited by Robin9 : January 9th 13 at 11:30 PM Reason: typo, spotted by a keen-eyed pedant
Old January 9th 13, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message

Although the high patronage of the new Shepherds Bush station proves
that
constructing it was a good idea, I must point out that previously the
trains used
to print between North Pole Junction and Kensington Olympia. Ah, the
high price of progress!

I wish I'd known and taken a USB stick with me.

It would have saved me time upon arrival at the office.

There used to usually be a queue for a printer.

--
Brian