Old April 4th 13, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default taxi fares in London

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:11:04 +0100, John Ray wrote:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:33:49 -0500, Recliner

On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you
The fare tables can be found he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

The fares guide is rather optimistically low - in recent trips I've
paid about £8 more than than the 'max' £21 4 mile/30 min trip to and
from the eastern edge of N1 to W1 (Green Park area). £30 when you add
in tips.

Yes, the fares today seem very expensive. Mini cabs are much cheaper,
but do have to be pre-booked (or at least phoned for, rather than
hailed on the street).

For short distances a black cab can be cheaper than a minicab. My
local minicab company has a minimum fare of £4, whereas the black cab
minimum is £2.40.

How far would you get for £2.40 in a black cab, or even £4?

It's £2.40 for the first 259.8 metres or 55.8 seconds (whichever is reached
first) according to the TfL web site. Then:

For each additional 129.9 metres or 27.9 seconds (whichever is reached
first), or part thereof, if the fare is less than £17.00 then there is a
charge of 20p

Once the fare is £17.00 or greater then there is a charge of 20p for each
additional 91.1 metres or 19.6 seconds (whichever is reached first), or part
thereof

See
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...fares/4870.asp
x.

Old April 4th 13, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

eastender wrote:
On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

[...]

So, roughly speaking, the £4 minicab minimum would get you about a mile in
a black cab? I assume a minicab would take you about twice as far. As for
the £2.40 black cab minimum, it would probably take you less than three
minutes walk, so hardly worth hailing a taxi for anyone who's not disabled.
Old April 4th 13, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message

eastender wrote:
On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

[...]

£4 will buy 1299 metres in a black cab - just over 3/4 mile (works out to
3.25 laps of an athletics track, where a mile race is 4 laps.)

That assumes the cheapest rate 1, which is weekday daytime and early
evening. Mon-Fri evening and weekend daytime would get you 1054 metres -
2.64 laps. The highest rate 3 - late night and public holidays - 850
metres, and we are down to 2.13 laps.

So yes - unless special circumstances apply (unable to walk much distance,
pouring with rain, no coat and can't wait, masses of luggage) - unlikely to
be used by most people. (And I did check - no extra for luggage!)

James

Old April 4th 13, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2013 15:56, Recliner wrote:
wrote:

eastender wrote:
On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

[...]

I think that many drivers would be reluctant to take somebody under
those conditions, unless they were indeed disabled.
Old April 4th 13, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message

For short distances a black cab can be cheaper than a minicab. My
local minicab company has a minimum fare of £4, whereas the black cab
minimum is £2.40.

How far would you get for £2.40 in a black cab, or even £4?

Probably Kings Cross to St Pancras.

Peter Smyth

Old April 5th 13, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote

How far would you get for £2.40 in a black cab, or even £4?

Probably Kings Cross to St Pancras.

Long long ago I took a cab from Moorgate/ Ropemaker St to Liverpool St
Station and paid something like the then minimum.

My suitcase was heavy and perhaps the handle had broken - I do recall
the taxi-driver was not at all gruntled..

--
Mike D

Old April 6th 13, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/04/2013 07:46, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2013\04\01 16:28, Recliner wrote:
[...]
I think my local (suburban) minicabs do have to pay the cc, even though
they're TfL licensed, so I wonder which minicabs are exempt? Perhaps
they have to be based in central London?

All London licensed minicabs are exempt from the CC. Anyone can get any
vehicle, even a pickup truck, registered as a minicab and so become
exempt from CC without being involved in any minicab company. If some
company is telling the passenger that they have to pay it so that they
can pass that charge on to the passenger, you should name and shame the
company, because either they are passing on a non-existent charge
(immoral and possibly illegal) or they are using vehicles which are not
licensed as minicabs (illegal).

Which is pretty much what I was going to say. I remember when the CC was
first introduced (blimey, over 10 years ago now! - 17 Feb 2003) there
was specific advice regarding watching out for any (London) minicabs
that might try to add a 'CC surcharge', given that they were exempt from
the charge from day one.
Old April 15th 13, 09:33 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastender[_4_] View Post
On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

The fare tables can be found he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

The fares guide is rather optimistically low - in recent trips I've
paid about £8 more than than the 'max' £21 4 mile/30 min trip to and
from the eastern edge of N1 to W1 (Green Park area). £30 when you add
in tips.

E.
Hi,

I want to travel to London but not spend to much money on cabs and bad service. Is there any alternative?

P.s. I hate the tube or busses. makes me fell very uncomfortable.
Old April 15th 13, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:33:30 on Mon,
15 Apr 2013, TraVeller13
remarked:
I want to travel to London but not spend to much money on cabs and bad
service. Is there any alternative?

P.s. I hate the tube or busses. makes me fell very uncomfortable.

Walking seems all that remains. Unless you are very lucky and find your
self needing [only] to travel on Thameslink or River Buses.