Old March 31st 13, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default taxi fares in London

When I was in London 40 years ago, taxi fares were cheap. I used to
travel by taxi only short trips in the central area, but I remember
that it was not expensive at all. It was necessary to give a little tip
to the taxi driver otherwise he would say a lot of bad words to you.

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

Old March 31st 13, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Mar 2013 16:10:39 GMT, antoine wrote:

When I was in London 40 years ago, taxi fares were cheap. I used to
travel by taxi only short trips in the central area, but I remember
that it was not expensive at all. It was necessary to give a little tip
to the taxi driver otherwise he would say a lot of bad words to you.

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

The fare tables can be found he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

--
John Ray
Old March 31st 13, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

The fare tables can be found he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

The fares guide is rather optimistically low - in recent trips I've
paid about £8 more than than the 'max' £21 4 mile/30 min trip to and
from the eastern edge of N1 to W1 (Green Park area). £30 when you add
in tips.

E.

Old March 31st 13, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-03-31 16:44:17 +0000, John Ray said:

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you
The fare tables can be found he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

The fares guide is rather optimistically low - in recent trips I've paid
about £8 more than than the 'max' £21 4 mile/30 min trip to and from the
eastern edge of N1 to W1 (Green Park area). £30 when you add in tips.

Yes, the fares today seem very expensive. Mini cabs are much cheaper, but
do have to be pre-booked (or at least phoned for, rather than hailed on the
street).
Old March 31st 13, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013\03\31 17:10, antoine wrote:
When I was in London 40 years ago, taxi fares were cheap. I used to
travel by taxi only short trips in the central area, but I remember
that it was not expensive at all. It was necessary to give a little tip
to the taxi driver otherwise he would say a lot of bad words to you.

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

About 10 times as much as in Delhi, but about half as much as in Zurich.

http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/wor...72-big-cities/

Old March 31st 13, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-03-31 19:33:49 +0000, Recliner said:

Yes, the fares today seem very expensive. Mini cabs are much cheaper, but
do have to be pre-booked (or at least phoned for, rather than hailed on the
street).

You can book black cabs too - as I've done on the last two trips - and
I've just realised that a booking fee may have been added to the fare.
Still, £60 to get five of us to and from the west end in the pouring
rain seems a reasonable deal.

E.

Old April 1st 13, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Transport for London staff receive a 60% discount on taxi fares. Drivers cannot be expected to have to learn the large amount of staff passes, so instead a password and sign have been arranged.
It is therefore necessary for me to tell you what that word is:
Point with your index finger to your sternum and say loudly, "Daktari."
Your discount will then be applied.
Old April 1st 13, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013\04\01 10:04, Offramp wrote:
Transport for London staff receive a 60% discount on taxi fares. Drivers cannot be expected to have to learn the large amount of staff passes, so instead a password and sign have been arranged.
It is therefore necessary for me to tell you what that word is:
Point with your index finger to your sternum and say loudly, "Daktari."
Your discount will then be applied.

I don't think you're allowed to do April Fool on foreigners.
Old April 1st 13, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2013\03\31 17:10, antoine wrote:
When I was in London 40 years ago, taxi fares were cheap. I used to
travel by taxi only short trips in the central area, but I remember
that it was not expensive at all. It was necessary to give a little tip
to the taxi driver otherwise he would say a lot of bad words to you.

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

About 10 times as much as in Delhi, but about half as much as in Zurich.

http://www.priceoftravel.com/555/wor...72-big-cities/

Though completely ignored from that study is whether the fares are regulated
or not

In London they are and you will be guaranteed to pay the same price for any
specific journey whichever cab you jump into -and don't even think about not
getting into the one at the front of the queue

That won't happen in Stockholm where, apart from a requirement to actually
display the price - it is a free for all, so wandering down the queue is
normal (well if you are of the tiny subset paying the fare yourself!).

tim

Old April 1st 13, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/03/2013 17:10, antoine wrote:
When I was in London 40 years ago, taxi fares were cheap. I used to
travel by taxi only short trips in the central area, but I remember
that it was not expensive at all. It was necessary to give a little tip
to the taxi driver otherwise he would say a lot of bad words to you.

How are nowadays the taxi fares? Still the same? Thank you

There is no set tip, as in New York City, BTW. I normally just round up
and add £1.