Old May 1st 13, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hoxton Overground station survey

On Wed, 01 May 2013 15:50:20 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
needed. If Shoreditch High St had remained in Z2 then it is likely
huge numbers of people would have changed onto the ELL to reach the
City via SHS and Zone 2. If that abstraction had arisen then the DfT
could have been lumbered with the bill for revenue support *or* there
would have been demands from the TOCs for compensation from TfL. That
is how the industry structure works.

Figures. Industry first, passengers second, what a surprise. Still, I suppose
if you're a City bound commuter and you don't mind a walk you can always get
off at Hoxton going south or Whitechapel going north to avoid zone 1.

I agree it is rather leisurely but I think the low running speeds and
padded timetables are how the impressive performance stats are
achieved. If everything was scheduled "on a knife edge" then it would
take almost nothing to cause the service to run late and be delayed.

But it would only be delayed on paper. It would still generally be quicker
in practice. There are quite long stretches where 40mph is easily
achievable with the acceleration of the trains. It seems a bit of a cop out
to run them so slow.

--
Spud

Old May 1st 13, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013\05\01 15:50, Paul Corfield wrote:

Yes it was. The rationale was to prevent astraction of revenue from
TOCs running into London Bridge and Cannon St where a Z1 ticket is
needed. If Shoreditch High St had remained in Z2 then it is likely
huge numbers of people would have changed onto the ELL to reach the
City via SHS and Zone 2. If that abstraction had arisen then the DfT
could have been lumbered with the bill for revenue support *or* there
would have been demands from the TOCs for compensation from TfL. That
is how the industry structure works.

I don't like the fact that the ELL has been placed on Z1 as it spoils
the Z23 orbital concept but I am pleased we actually got the line
built.

They could make Shoreditch Zone 1 for entering or exiting, but Zone 2
for passing through.

BTW, I still can't believe that they didn't just call that station
"Shoreditch". The walk from the old station to the new one is about the
same as the walk from Angel's old entrance to new one, but they didn't
feel the need to rename Angel. And SHS is not in the High Street anyway.
Old May 1st 13, 04:13 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Notice[_2_] View Post
On Sunday, 28 April 2013 11:30:33 UTC+1, Robin9 wrote:
I was extremely sceptical when TfL decided to build new stations at

Haggerston and Hoxton. I thought even one station might prove to be a

white

elephant. From my, admittedly infrequent, observations, both Hoxton and

Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants. I hope you return here

with

the results of your survey.

--

Robin9

What do you mean by "both Hoxton and Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants"? What level of use would be sufficient for you not to class them as "white elephants"?
An average of 200 people per hour boarding trains between 07.00 and 21.00
hours.

Building new railway stations costs a fortune. As George Osborne keep telling
us, we haven't got fortunes to chuck around. Therefore public money should
be spent only on projects which are going to benefit large numbers of people.

Old May 1st 13, 04:18 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastender[_4_] View Post
On 2013-04-30 15:59:09 +0000, Robin9 said:

Quantify "well used".

Figures were posted above. I live close by the line, midway between
Dalston and Haggerston, and if you want reassurance I can tell you than
there is much development in the area and many new flats, businesses
and an influx of young people. The stations will get busier but are
already fairly well used but many outlying stations have quiet periods
off peak. The line got much busier when the Highbury link was opened
and even busier now with Clapham.

E.
The figures given above do not demonstrate that Hoxton Station is well-used.
They show that it is lightly used. Certainly many other stations in London are
also lightly used but they were built many years ago. They are not new builds
as part of a new project.
Old May 2nd 13, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-05-02 06:40:58 +0000, said:

Hardly. The size of the pubic sector will still be as large

Thank goodness for that.

E.