Old April 27th 13, 03:57 PM
Junior Member

Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default Hoxton Overground station survey

Hello,

I am conducting research on the impact of the Hoxton Overground station since it opened in 2010. The study is part of the requirements for the Masters in Urban Planning from the University of Amsterdam. I would like to ask you a few questions about how the station has impacted your connection to the community and the city.

By taking the survey, you either have to live within the boundaries of Hoxton or use the Hoxton Overground station semi-frequently.

You will find a link to the survey below:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/hoxtonovergroundsurvey

For the purpose of this survey, the borders of Hoxton will be: The Regents Canal in the north, City Road/ Wharf Road in the west, Old Street/Hackney Road/Columbia Road in the south and Queensbridge Road in the East.

No personal information will be collected in this survey and it will take about 10 minutes to complete.

Please feel free to send this to anyone you think might be interested and fits the criteria.

Thank you so much for you time,
Patrick

Last edited by HoxtonOvergroundSurvey : April 27th 13 at 04:01 PM

Old April 28th 13, 10:30 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoxtonOvergroundSurvey View Post
[...]

I hope you receive a response from every adult resident of Hoxton.

In the days of British Rail there was no station at Hoxton. Trains ran
non-stop between Broad Street and Dalston Junction.

Before the Second World War there had been additional stations. Mildmay Park
was closed in 1934, Haggerston was closed in May, 1940 and Shoreditch was
closed in October 1940. When the War ended, it was decided not to reopen
these stations, almost certainly because they had been so lightly patronised
previously.

I was extremely sceptical when TfL decided to build new stations at
Haggerston and Hoxton. I thought even one station might prove to be a white
elephant. From my, admittedly infrequent, observations, both Hoxton and
Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants. I hope you return here with
the results of your survey.

Last edited by Robin9 : April 28th 13 at 10:33 AM
Old April 28th 13, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin9
writes

From my, admittedly infrequent, observations, both Hoxton and
Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants.

According to figures published in the Guardian, Haggerston saw 1,172,578
entrances/exits last year, making it busier than Clapton, Hampton,
Stoneleigh, Rochester, Paddock Wood, Andover, Mottingham and many other
stations.

Hoxton saw 1,042,854 entrances/exits, similar to Haringay, Nunhead,
Telford Central, etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...tations-listed
-rail
--
Paul Terry
Old April 28th 13, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Paul Terry)
wrote:

In message , Robin9
writes

From my, admittedly infrequent, observations, both Hoxton and
Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants.

According to figures published in the Guardian, Haggerston saw
1,172,578 entrances/exits last year, making it busier than Clapton,
Hampton, Stoneleigh, Rochester, Paddock Wood, Andover, Mottingham and
many other stations.

Hoxton saw 1,042,854 entrances/exits, similar to Haringay, Nunhead,
Telford Central, etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ons-listed-rai

Some curious omissions and errors on that map. I couldn't find Dullingham or
Shepreth. Foxton and Royston were badly mislocated with Foxton inside the
City of Cambridge. The problem appears from the table to be with bad
postcodes. Shepreth and Meldreth have the same one, for example.

Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 29th 13, 03:25 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I'm surprised by those figures. It suggests that on a normal weekday about 80
people an hour board trains at Hoxton. My guess would have been half that.
Mind you, it still means Hoxton is a lightly used station. At Leyton Undergound
Station, about 80 people board trains every five minutes!

Old April 29th 13, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message

HoxtonOvergroundSurvey;136794 Wrote:
[...]

But so where many others on what is now "the overground"

Times have changed and these stations are now well used (again).

tim

Old April 30th 13, 03:59 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim...... View Post
"Robin9" wrote in message

[...]

Quantify "well used".
Old April 30th 13, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-04-30 15:59:09 +0000, Robin9 said:

Quantify "well used".

Figures were posted above. I live close by the line, midway between
Dalston and Haggerston, and if you want reassurance I can tell you than
there is much development in the area and many new flats, businesses
and an influx of young people. The stations will get busier but are
already fairly well used but many outlying stations have quiet periods
off peak. The line got much busier when the Highbury link was opened
and even busier now with Clapham.

E.

Old April 30th 13, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 28 April 2013 11:30:33 UTC+1, Robin9 wrote:
I was extremely sceptical when TfL decided to build new stations at

Haggerston and Hoxton. I thought even one station might prove to be a

white

elephant. From my, admittedly infrequent, observations, both Hoxton and

Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants. I hope you return here

with

the results of your survey.

--

Robin9

What do you mean by "both Hoxton and Haggerston have turned out to be white elephants"? What level of use would be sufficient for you not to class them as "white elephants"?
Old May 1st 13, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:55:03 +0100
On 2013-04-30 15:59:09 +0000, Robin9 said:

Quantify "well used".

Figures were posted above. I live close by the line, midway between
Dalston and Haggerston, and if you want reassurance I can tell you than
there is much development in the area and many new flats, businesses
and an influx of young people. The stations will get busier but are
already fairly well used but many outlying stations have quiet periods
off peak. The line got much busier when the Highbury link was opened
and even busier now with Clapham.

It would be even busier still if TfL hadn't decided it could get a few
extra pieces of silver but having it just brush zone 1 so making it
pointless as a detour to avoid paying the zone 1 fare. It might also help
if the trains did a bit more than 25 mph everywhere.

--
Spud