Old September 22nd 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London bus apps

On 2013-09-22 19:09:25 +0000, d said:

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 20:39:09 +0100
Scott wrote:
Visiting London next weekend. Does anyone have any strong views on
which bus times app is the best? I'm not bothered about paying a
small fee to avoid adverts.

Don't bother with the buses, they hardly ever show up on time, are slow,
uncomfortable and are usually full of scum especially at night. Use the tube.
If you have to use a bus in London then you've messed up your journey
planning somehow.

You're mad! That may have been the case in the 80s, but hasn't been for
ages, now. For short journeys around Z1 they're often quicker than the
tube overall. And in my view much less unpleasant.

I find buses remarkably reliable. You know when they're coming, thanks
to Countdown od the ability to receive a text telling you what's coming
to your stop, and the regulation is so much better than it once was, as
the recent episode of The RToutemasters showed.

I often encounter people who would never consider using London buses.
They may phrase it like Boltar but the real reason is they don't know
how to use them. Living where I do I find people quite happy to travel
from Liverpool St. to London Bridge by tube, requiring a descent to
platform level, a change, and an ascent, rather than a short bus
journey on frequent routes (or a walk) along Bishopsgate and over the
bridge.

Old September 22nd 13, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Scott wrote:
Visiting London next weekend. Does anyone have any strong views on
which bus times app is the best? I'm not bothered about paying a
small fee to avoid adverts.

Don't bother with the buses, they hardly ever show up on time, are slow,
uncomfortable and are usually full of scum especially at night. Use the tube.
If you have to use a bus in London then you've messed up your journey
planning somehow.

As you presumably never use uses, how do you know?

Just to balance your diatribe, I arrived in Heathrow this evening from
Barcelona. The nearly full BA flight left and arrived early, the food was
edible and filling and the G&T (yes, in economy) was served quickly and
efficiently. Heathrow T5 was working smoothly with no passport delays and
the luggage was delivered fairly promptly. About my only complaint is that
the baggage trolley had slightly wobbly wheels.

I just missed one Tube, but the next ran on time and it at least meant I
was able to choose my seat. I had to change Tube trains en route, and as I
had a heavy suitcase, used the lifts, which were working and ready for me.
I got a seat on the next Tube train, too, and finally needed to get a bus
home. It arrived dead on time, was clean and uncrowded. The bus driver even
waited till I'd safely stowed my suitcase before moving off.

I didn't come across any scummy fellow passengers on the plane, Tubes or
bus -- everyone was polite and cooperative. So, even on a Sunday, all my
public transport arrangements worked perfectly.
Old September 22nd 13, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/09/2013 09:36, Scott wrote:

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 15:16:44 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

Nothing yet. Microsoft will release three at the same time.

There is. There's 'Buses Due' (free), 'London Bus Hub' (free) and
'London Bus Checker' (£1.99).

I tried Buses Due but I am annoyed with them for trying to con me with
a prize draw that would have cost me £4.50 had I not checked the T&C.

That'll be nowt to do with the app's developer and everything to do with
the advertiser (the app shows adverts).
Old September 22nd 13, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/09/2013 19:50, Tony Dragon wrote:

On 21/09/2013 20:39, Scott wrote:
Visiting London next weekend. Does anyone have any strong views on
which bus times app is the best? I'm not bothered about paying a
small fee to avoid adverts.

If your wondering when the next bus will arrive, then text the number on
the stop to 87287.

And pay the money. (To the network, not TfL.)
Old September 22nd 13, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Scott wrote:
[...]

Seems fairly normal to me (except perhaps T5).
Old September 22nd 13, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Scott wrote:
[...]

Agreed, my bus, Tube and train experiences are normally perfectly OK. And I
do like T5, which normally works very well. And that's not just me saying
it:
http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...3/category.htm

Bus times apps Scott London Transport 1 August 11th 13 09:14 AM
Do out-of-London bus passes work on London bus touch-pads? Clive Page[_3_] London Transport 24 August 27th 11 11:15 AM
Cross-London Bus Transfer & Discount London Bus Pass Mizter T London Transport 99 January 23rd 07 07:04 PM
london bus arrival time estimations (the digital thing at the bus stands) john London Transport 7 August 3rd 03 09:38 PM