Old November 23rd 13, 06:20 PM
Junior Member

Default Liverpool to Canary Wharf / Minibus/Tube Help!

Hi,
We will be travelling from Liverpool to London (Canary Wharf) on Tuesday by minibus. We will be leaving school at 6am and we need to arrive in Canary Wharf by 11am.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best option for this journey?
I was thinking Liverpool-Stanmore Tube station - Park - Tube info Canary Wharf

Can anyone recommend a better route or tell me if this sounds a good option?
Haven't arranged parking yet as the NCP has height restrictions so that's another thing Im looking for parking that's suitable for a minibus at Stanmore or any other station recommended.
Please Help!
Thanks

Old November 24th 13, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 20:20:23 +0100, juliejonesy
wrote:

Hi,
We will be travelling from Liverpool to London (Canary Wharf) on Tuesday
by minibus. We will be leaving school at 6am and we need to arrive in
Canary Wharf by 11am.

I am no expert on the motorways but is 4 hours enough time to get from
Liverpool to Stanmore allowing for the inevitable rush hour delays you
will hit at some point on your journey? Don't all motorways crawl to
a halt during the AM peak period so are you not at risk of being
clobbered somewhere in the West Midlands or south thereof?

The tube takes about 45-50 mins to C Wharf but you need to allow time
for buying tickets, parking time, etc etc.

I'd just question whether the 5 hours has any contingency in it for
delays plus the things I've said just above.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best option for this journey?
I was thinking Liverpool-Stanmore Tube station - Park - Tube info Canary
Wharf

This is probably fine given Stanmore is within easy reach of the M1
and offers you a direct link to Canary Wharf.

Can anyone recommend a better route or tell me if this sounds a good
option?

The problem is that the further in you go the more traffic you'll
encounter and therefore risk delays.

The only other route I can think of is the M40 into Hillingdon on the
Met Line. There is a reasonably large tube station car park there but
I've no idea how busy it gets. Met Line to Finchley Road and then
Jubilee line will get you in reasonably quickly as the Met runs semi
fast south of Harrow on the Hill and runs past several Jubilee Line
stations. It's a cross platform interchange at Finchley Road so very
simple. Baker St is much more involved so don't bother!

Haven't arranged parking yet as the NCP has height restrictions so
that's another thing Im looking for parking that's suitable for a
minibus at Stanmore or any other station recommended.

That's a real puzzle. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps a
plaintive phone call to LU Customer Services to see if the local LU
manager covering Stanmore might allow you to park your minibus in the
staff car park (assuming there is one at Stanmore). I can't guarantee
that there isn't a height restriction though!

All good suggestions. If Hillingdon doesn't provide suitable parking, there
must be more options one station further out at Uxbridge?
Old November 24th 13, 06:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:14:02 on
Sun, 24 Nov 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:
The only other route I can think of is the M40 into Hillingdon on the
Met Line. There is a reasonably large tube station car park there but
I've no idea how busy it gets.

When I lived in Oxfordshire I used to park at Ickenham as the Hillingdon
car park was always full. But it has height barriers.

Old November 24th 13, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

When I have the misfortune of using any of the motorway network through the Midlands, the traffic is vile. Just needs a minor shunt and you can sit motionless for an hour... Is this an event that you can't miss, or is turning up late only a minor inconvenience?
Where are you actually headed? Do you mean 'have to be at the Jubilee Line station at CW' at 1100? Or somewhere else on the Isle of Dogs? In which case there might be more time needed. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but the plan as outlined seems to have some risk of not being achievable in time you've allowed.
Old November 24th 13, 10:35 AM
Junior Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my message your advice and info is a great help.

Iv decided to stick with Stanmore and park outside the tube station using 'parkonmydrive'

I think we will most definitely be late but asking the children to get to school any earlier is too much.

Fingers crossed it will be 4hours to Stanmore and a 40min journey to Canary Wharf and we hop off the tube and find our location with no delays anywere!
Wishful thinking its never going to happen!

Old November 24th 13, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-11-23 19:20:23 +0000, juliejonesy said:

Hi,
We will be travelling from Liverpool to London (Canary Wharf) on Tuesday
by minibus. We will be leaving school at 6am and we need to arrive in
Canary Wharf by 11am.

As Paul says you may be cutting it fine - make sure you take the M6
toll road. I drove to Manchester and back a few weeks ago and the good
news is that the M1 roadworks are about over.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best option for this journey?
I was thinking Liverpool-Stanmore Tube station - Park - Tube info Canary
Wharf

Stanmore is right by the M1 so a good choice.

Haven't arranged parking yet as the NCP has height restrictions so
that's another thing Im looking for parking that's suitable for a
minibus at Stanmore or any other station recommended.

You could try this:

https://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/parking/stanmore/

and see if anyone has a free space near the station. I think there a
school near the station - maybe you could ask them.

E.

Old November 24th 13, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:35:03 +0100, juliejonesy
wrote:
Fingers crossed it will be 4hours to Stanmore and a 40min journey to
Canary Wharf and we hop off the tube and find our location with no
delays anywere!

What is the reason for not driving all the way? Driving to Canary
Wharf is not terrible. Or is the LEZ an issue, if so Stanmore appears
to be inside it?

Neil

--
Neil Williams. Use neil before the at to reply.
Old November 24th 13, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
18:50:08 on Sun, 24 Nov 2013, Neil Williams
remarked:
Fingers crossed it will be 4hours to Stanmore and a 40min journey to
Canary Wharf and we hop off the tube and find our location with no
delays anywere!

What is the reason for not driving all the way?

A good question. Or at least driving to somewhere well
motorway-connected like Stratford if they've been firmly told (as
sometimes happens) that there's no on-site or nearby parking.
Old November 24th 13, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-11-24 19:14:27 +0000, Roland Perry said:

What is the reason for not driving all the way?

A good question. Or at least driving to somewhere well
motorway-connected like Stratford if they've been firmly told (as
sometimes happens) that there's no on-site or nearby parking.

There are seveal underground carparks at CW - I parked in one the
other day and it had plenty of spaces at about 1.30pm when i got there.
It seemed quite roomy but maybe not enough for a minibus.

E.

Old November 24th 13, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london