Old February 4th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Trackbashers alert: Primrose Hill NOW!

Once upon a time, Martin Underwood spake thus:

Take a bedsheet with you and throw it at the OHLE so it wraps round a wire.
That's what stopped the WCML for an hour or so the other evening - the sheet
blew off a nearby washing line!

Oh great, so now the security services are going to start arresting
anyone who goes near a railway while carrying a bedsheet as a potential
terrorist with a weapon of mass disruption?

--
- Jack.

http://www.tabbyvans.co.uk -- For 'purrfect' caravan holidays!

Old February 5th 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Jack wrote in
:

Once upon a time, Martin Underwood spake thus:

Take a bedsheet with you and throw it at the OHLE so it wraps round a
wire. That's what stopped the WCML for an hour or so the other evening
- the sheet blew off a nearby washing line!

Oh great, so now the security services are going to start arresting
anyone who goes near a railway while carrying a bedsheet as a
potential terrorist with a weapon of mass disruption?

Just walk backwards carrying a gas stove over your head and you will be
safe :-s
Old February 5th 04, 02:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Nick
Cooper writes
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...

Out of interest, what is special about this, why would
people want to see it and what is a trackbasher?

If you need to ask, you don't need to know!

That was friendly. A bit like the way Twitchers see Bird Watchers or vice
versa.

LOL
Just a little elitist

Trackbasher - From http://www.geocities.com/nrc36/bp/tspot.htm

"'Trackbashers' are a strange and dedicated breed whose aim is to travel
over every inch of track on the railway system, including loops, points,
sidings and crossovers."

Thus the section known as Primrose Hill 'curve' is little used and therefore
has to be 'bashed'.

OK.

The only interesting thing I've managed to do was the reverse at Bethnal
Green when they were running test trains after Chancery Lane last year.
I found it quite exciting (apart from the running through the train bit)
so I can see the attraction. Sadly, I didn't get to walk to the points,
which I'd really have enjoyed...
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 5th 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

It was a dark and stormy night when Les Chandra
wrote in article Xns948668FD4F25Aleschan
Jack wrote in
:

Once upon a time, Martin Underwood spake thus:

Take a bedsheet with you and throw it at the OHLE so it wraps round a
wire. That's what stopped the WCML for an hour or so the other evening
- the sheet blew off a nearby washing line!

Oh great, so now the security services are going to start arresting
anyone who goes near a railway while carrying a bedsheet as a
potential terrorist with a weapon of mass disruption?

Just walk backwards carrying a gas stove over your head and you will be
safe :-s

You are Spike Milligna and I claim my five pounds.

Grebbsy
--
"All vampires suck, but not all who suck are vampires."
(--B.J.Kuehl)

:::Grebbsy :::::::lemon curry?:::
Old February 5th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Kat" wrote in message

The only interesting thing I've managed to do was the reverse at Bethnal
Green when they were running test trains after Chancery Lane last year.
I found it quite exciting (apart from the running through the train bit)
so I can see the attraction. Sadly, I didn't get to walk to the points,
which I'd really have enjoyed...

I've done Watford - Chester(reverse on triangle) - Newton-Le-Willows -
Lancaster!

A bashers delight that trip.

Old February 5th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Kat wrote:
In message , Nick
Cooper writes
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
"Robin May" wrote in message
[...]

HST - Redruth to Bristol TM via Exeter St Davids and Yeovil Pen Mill was
fun - everyone twitched when we left Exeter "the wrong way".

I got a major crick in the neck trying to see where we were going in the
dark.

--
NickC
Remove SPAMOFF for correct address

Old February 6th 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I've just done St. Mary's curve, the line that links the District Line to
the East London Line at Whitechapel. Normally only used for stock transfers,
it hasn't seen a passenger train since before WW2. I rode on the front of a
stock transfer from New Cross to Neasden.

Pretty cool - nice view of the remains of St Mary's station, too.

Lee

Old February 6th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Lee Osborne" wrote in message
news
I've just done St. Mary's curve, the line that links the District Line to
the East London Line at Whitechapel. Normally only used for stock

transfers,
it hasn't seen a passenger train since before WW2.

To be pedantic, since during WW2. Through passenger trains ceased in 1941.
Peter

Old February 9th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:04:53 -0000, "Gavin Hamilton"
wrote:

"Kat" wrote in message

The only interesting thing I've managed to do was the reverse at Bethnal
Green when they were running test trains after Chancery Lane last year.
I found it quite exciting (apart from the running through the train bit)
so I can see the attraction. Sadly, I didn't get to walk to the points,
which I'd really have enjoyed...

I've done Watford - Chester(reverse on triangle) - Newton-Le-Willows -
Lancaster!

A bashers delight that trip.

/thread convergence/

I've done Bristol - Chester (reverse on triangle) - Newton-le-Willows
- Lancaster - Edinburgh, on the overnight sleeper. About 1977-1978,
that would have been.

Didn't get much sleep......

--
Regards

Mike

mikedotroebuckatgmxdotnet
Old February 10th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Gav Gav is offline

"Lee Osborne" wrote in message ...

Is Primrose Hill station in a reasonable state these days, or has it just
crumbled? It's been a long time since I passed by on the mainline, but it
looked untouched and undisturbed for ages. Have the vandals done much damage
yet?

Lee

Primrose Hill seems in good nick. I had to take 66224 (Dag - WEFOC)
light through there the day the snow fell (28/01/04), due to 'a
blockage' on the North London (Words of 'GO' signalbox, not mine).
The obvious spraypaint is getting to places, but its looking ok. The
platform is looking a little worse for wear though.

Gav

Primrose Hill Station - just before demolition 1506 London Transport 0 January 9th 09 04:21 PM
Primrose Hill 1506 London Transport 5 December 15th 08 03:32 PM
Primrose Hill 1506 London Transport 0 December 14th 08 09:14 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
Trackbashers alert ( was Greenford Branch - two collisions today?) John Rowland London Transport 3 October 27th 04 09:16 AM