Old April 25th 14, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default The Cost and Funding of Transit Systems

On 2014-04-25 02:22, Aurora wrote:
September 1, this penny pinching madness will affect the rest of the
UK. Network Rail will no longer be able to borrow against its assets
like a private business. It will be subject to the availability of
funds from HM Treasury. The chancellor will have to balance railway
infrastructure improvements against funds for hospitals and schools.

We have enjoyed a period of continual improvement. Capacity has been
increased with improved junctions and enlarged facilities.

Reading may be the last hurrah. It is back to Penney pinching
decline. Single lead junctions anyone?

I wouldn't bank on there being many new hospitals or schools either. The
oligarchs don't want taxpayers money to do anything useful like build
public infrastructure when they can get it into their own pockets directly.

Those mysterious oligarchs are obviously deeply incompetent:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23080327

Refurbishing or replacing existing schools.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-26526380

Wales. Old Labour. :-)

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...-hs2-engineers

"Plans... intention..." And who needs HS2 anyway? :-)

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...-queen-4870398

"Private Finance Initiative".

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/wy...-trust-6293381

"Private Finance Initiative". Costs were cut not by throwing out the PFI
but by reducing the size of the hospital originally planned.

http://www.papworthhospital.nhs.uk/c...worth_hospital

"PFI".

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't PFIs resulted
in taxpayers paying huge amounts into hedge funds for the hire of
hospitals and schools?[*] Let me guess... the Conservative-led
coalition's PFIs will be different from New Labour's PFIs...

BTW most of the projects mentioned are replacements for existing
facilities. This may not meet everyone's idea of "new" since few
additional hospital beds or school places are likely to result.
[*] One of my friends teaches at a PFI school. If the teachers organise
any event outside strict school hours, they have to organise it well in
advance through a Japanese facilities management company. I daresay the
investors, managers and investment managers of the facilities management
company like this arrangement, but ISTM that it sucks.

Old April 25th 14, 03:35 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 01:14:58 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:35:10 GMT,
d wrote:

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:15:39 +0100
Paul Corfield
wrote:
I am amazed that ordinary punters manage to miss those headlines. I
agree it would not be usual fare for tourists to see that info but
then again I've no idea what rip offs there are with the Navigo
smartcard in Paris or Miki in Melbourne.

Most cities don't have to worry about all this nonsense in the first place.
They charge flat fares - problem solved.

And yes it *could* be done in London - its done in new york and moscow, both
of which are larger systems than the underground.

I deliberately ruled out a flat fare as I knew you'd be along to
propose it. :-)

Naturally Because it makes sense.

The government and Mayor are forcing TfL to make their rail services
all run at an operating profit and make surpluses to fund some of
their investment funding. New York's transit funding is notoriously
bad and unpredictable and looking at their current budget there is a
massive operating loss of nearly $6bn just on the Subway and Staten

You see there you , the usual railway operating at a loss statistic. No one
ever accuses roads of running at a loss - how much money has the M1 made for
itself since it was built? Not a penny. Its the profits made by companies
using the infrastructure that matters, not profits made by the infrastructure
itself. That $6bn pales into insignificance compared to the money that Wall
Street makes every week thanks to employees getting their by subway. And its
the same story in london.

Presumably you're ignoring the taxes and duties made on road vehicle sales,
fuel and ownership, all of which rise with more roads and their usage?
They greatly exceed the cost of building and maintaining roads. Roads make
a clear direct profit for the Treasury and the economy, while railway
investment has to rely on more intangible questions of overall societal
business benefits, which may well be huge, but are hard to measure, let
alone predict. Hence the HS2 debate.
Is VAT still charged on motor insurance policies? A very nice earner for The Treasury.

Last edited by Robin9 : April 25th 14 at 03:38 PM
Old April 25th 14, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster: still an unreliable rip-off

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:34:46 -0500
Recliner wrote:
Presumably you're ignoring the taxes and duties made on road vehicle sales,
fuel and ownership, all of which rise with more roads and their usage?
They greatly exceed the cost of building and maintaining roads. Roads make
a clear direct profit for the Treasury and the economy, while railway

Got any proof of that? Ie returns on vehicle tax and fuel vs road maintenance
and building budget.

--
Spud

Old April 25th 14, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:18:16 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:47:07 GMT, d wrote:
Naturally Because it makes sense.

Modest as ever I see.

One tries, but its so hard sometimes surrounded by intellectual pygmies

I don't disagree with what you say but I'm not the person who has to
be persuaded.

Fair enough.

--
Spud

Old April 25th 14, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:22:44 -0700
Aurora wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:47:07 GMT, d wrote:
The government and Mayor are forcing TfL to make their rail services
all run at an operating profit and make surpluses to fund some of
their investment funding. New York's transit funding is notoriously
bad and unpredictable and looking at their current budget there is a
massive operating loss of nearly $6bn just on the Subway and Staten

This time Boltar, I am absolutely with you. Much as I would like to

Boltar? Never heard of him. Sounds like the sort of name someone who was
usually right would have though...

September 1, this penny pinching madness will affect the rest of the
UK. Network Rail will no longer be able to borrow against its assets
like a private business. It will be subject to the availability of
funds from HM Treasury. The chancellor will have to balance railway
infrastructure improvements against funds for hospitals and schools.

Nothing the treasury does surprised me. Bunch of washed up idiots with no
clue about basic economics its seems to me. Any idiot can cut everything
tory style of empty the piggy bank labour style, it takes someone smart to
figure out a 3rd option.

--
Spud