Old June 5th 14, 04:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow's new Terminal 2 opened this morning

On 2014\06\05 01:45, wrote:

Radio 4 today reported that T2 will be dubbed "Queen's Terminal".

Charles has been waiting years to hear those words!

Old June 5th 14, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

On 2014\06\05 01:45,
wrote:

Radio 4 today reported that T2 will be dubbed "Queen's Terminal".

Charles has been waiting years to hear those words!

LOL!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 5th 14, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:45:05
on Wed, 4 Jun 2014, remarked:
Radio 4 today
reported that T2 will be dubbed "Queen's Terminal".

bbc.co.uk had a photo with that name prominently over the door.
Old June 5th 14, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:

Thankfully a bit more low-key than the 'triumphant' opening of T5 in
2008!

Yes, they're sensibly phasing it in gradually over several months. I'm not
sure of the plans for T1 after this -- some of its gates will be
transferred to the new T2, but I assume the rest of T1 will then be
rebuilt
in phases. I think it'll all be called T2, leaving T1 as the number for
the
new terminal for the third runway.

On the basis of yesterday's flight they already have.

Had to walk for flipping miles, all through loads of (obviously) new
corridors, down (and then back up again) long escalators with windows onto
the new terminal, until we reached some point where it said T1 left, T2
right. There were staff there asking us which flight we had got off so that
they could direct us correctly (As there must be a non negligible number of
first timers on every flight that lands at LHR they are going to have to
have these staff there forever) - and then after another long walk we
arrived at the joke that is T1 immigration. As I didn't have luggage to
collect I wonder what would have happened if I had gone the wrong way!

Must have walked (well ridden a good portion) well over a mile, How can it
be possible to make a passenger flow that long inside the space the LHR
central terminals occupies unless they made us double back? This is not a
good system for the disabled/infirm. They might not have given such
concerns the time of day 40 years ago, but surely they do now, don't they?

On the plus side, the fact that the United arrival had been moved meant that
there wasn't a huge snake for the Non EU section of immigration so they
served all comers and the queue cleared in a couple of minutes, not seen
that in the past 12 months

tim

Old June 5th 14, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:

[...]

You must have arrived at the satellite pier that's temporarily shared
between T1 and T2; it'll soon be part of T2 only, when the walks will be
much shorter. Basically, they started using some of T2's new gates in a
satellite pier before the terminal building itself was opened, by
connecting it to T1. More of T1‘s older piers will also switch across to T2
soon, once the flights they serve have moved.