Old July 3rd 14, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Buses go cashless from 6 July 2014

On Wednesday, 9 April 2014 19:01:15 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

Official media sources on Twitter are saying TfL buses go cashless from 6 July 2014.

Only a few more days to go. I am going to try and use buses far more often on Sunday 6th and Monday 7th. I want to sit near the driver and have a wonderful laugh!

I might have a pilgrimage around the more volatile bus routes, such as the 109 or the 36 - no laughter there, of course. Just a concerned, compassionate thumbs-up towards the 7-ft monster trying to rip the perspex from the driver's cab.

So what will bus drivers do on Sunday & Monday?

A) An absolute NO to anyone with no Oyster and no cash?
B) A cheery, "I'll let you off this time, matey!", and let him or her travel?
or C) For the fuglies and pinheads, a massive boot out the door. For the beautiful people and psychopaths - free travel.

My bet is C.

Also, I think clever people will simple crack their Oysters so it is unreadable then go on and on and on about how they put £10 on it yesterday. The driver wil probably get bored of talking about it after 5 minutes.

Old July 3rd 14, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 April 2014 19:01:15 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

Official media sources on Twitter are saying TfL buses go cashless from 6
July 2014.

Only a few more days to go. I am going to try and use buses far more often
on Sunday 6th and Monday 7th.

According to the announcement on the Tubie, Monday the 7th is not the ideal
day to go to London for no reason

tim

Old July 3rd 14, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote

[...]

Is there any scope for offering to accept their cash (no change given) and
use your contactless or Oyster ?

One for even stops and the other for odd ?

And if they claim only to have a £20 note, sell an Oyster with £10 on it ?

--
Mike D

Old July 3rd 14, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Of course! Tour de France! I wonder if there'll be lots of out of towners with no Oysters?

Probably not.
Old July 3rd 14, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/07/2014 20:10, Offramp wrote:
Of course! Tour de France! I wonder if there'll be lots of out of towners with no Oysters?

Probably not.

That will be fun to watch.

Old July 3rd 14, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/07/2014 20:40, wrote:
On 03/07/2014 20:10, Offramp wrote:
Of course! Tour de France! I wonder if there'll be lots of out of
towners with no Oysters?

Probably not.

That will be fun to watch.

For me, all London buses have been cashless for some time.

Old July 4th 14, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/07/2014 20:09, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

And if they claim only to have a £20 note, sell an Oyster with £10 on it ?

I guess that things are different nowadays, Michael but, as an LT Bus
Conductor, I was only too pleased to be offered notes. Right from the
start of the shift I used spare moments to build up bags of £1 loose
coinage. This was in pre-decimal days, so that could be a lot of coins
in both number and weight. If a passenger offered me a one pound note
(present value about £14) I was only too happy to take the note, extract
his thruppence - or whatever the fare was - from one of these cash bags,
then drop the remainder into his/her hands. It made cashing up at the
end of the shift much faster.

PA

Old July 4th 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Able" wrote

I guess that things are different nowadays, Michael but, as an LT Bus
Conductor, I was only too pleased to be offered notes. Right from the
start of the shift I used spare moments to build up bags of £1 loose
coinage. This was in pre-decimal days, so that could be a lot of coins in
both number and weight. If a passenger offered me a one pound note
(present value about £14) I was only too happy to take the note, extract
his thruppence - or whatever the fare was - from one of these cash bags,
then drop the remainder into his/her hands. It made cashing up at the end
of the shift much faster.

No doubt that made you popular with the passenger, who was hoping that his
change would be a ten bob note, three half-crowns, a two-bob coin, and a
threepenny bit, rather than 79 threepenny bits.

Peter

Old July 4th 14, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The passengers detested having to handle his thrupenny bits.
Old July 4th 14, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/07/2014 11:28, Peter Masson wrote:

"Peter Able" wrote

I guess that things are different nowadays, Michael but, as an LT Bus
Conductor, I was only too pleased to be offered notes. Right from the
start of the shift I used spare moments to build up bags of £1 loose
coinage. This was in pre-decimal days, so that could be a lot of
coins in both number and weight. If a passenger offered me a one
pound note (present value about £14) I was only too happy to take the
note, extract his thruppence - or whatever the fare was - from one of
these cash bags, then drop the remainder into his/her hands. It made
cashing up at the end of the shift much faster.

No doubt that made you popular with the passenger, who was hoping that
his change would be a ten bob note, three half-crowns, a two-bob coin,
and a threepenny bit, rather than 79 threepenny bits.

Peter

Oh, the bags were strictly for copper, Peter - and they were what I
wanted to get rid of - so no half-dollars, no two-bobs, no bobs, not
even tanners! It was more likely to be two dozen thruppenny bits and
165 pennies!

Incidentally, consummate gentleman that I was, what I dropped into their
hands was the bag and contents - not just the contents. I guess that
those bags might now have value as London Transport ephemera!

Pre-decimal day they were just taken aback. After d-day the reaction
was slightly rougher - but OK!

As you may remember, a lot of the older pennies were worn remarkably
thin, and I remember cash-bags being rejected at the end of shift
because they didn't appear to weigh what 240 old pennies should.

All part of the game. ;-}}

PA

PA