Old July 15th 14, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG Extensions

I saw "ITSO cards not accepted" on a TfL bus ETM display a few days ago, so they now do at least recognise ITSO cards.

Old July 15th 14, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:46:52 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:39:04 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Talking of which, it's gone very quiet on the "Contactless" rollout on
the tube.

Expect to hear something very soon. The Mayorwatch blog tweeted
yesterday that TfL had given them a briefing on contactless fares. I
assume this is in anticipation on a launch announcement very soon so
that the media / social media don't give out confusing messages!

The big railway doesn't seem very ready for a proper launch yet. I was
ticket inspected on a train last week and the inspector didn't have a
way of checking my contactless card and although he had heard about the
pilot he had never actually seen a membership card before and didn't
know what they looked like. Felt a bit like waving psychic paper about.
Old July 15th 14, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
03:10:13 on Tue, 15 Jul 2014,
remarked:
So I'm all set, already
having Southern ITSO card, assuming they press on with their current
project.

"Nine London Terminal stations: London Waterloo, London Blackfriars,
Vauxhall, London Bridge, London Victoria, Waterloo East, Charing
Cross, Cannon Street and City Thameslink will accept the key from
Spring 2014, followed by the rest of the Southern Network and London
Underground and buses in Summer 2014."

Is it summer yet?

Autumn next year then!

The ITSO on Underground is already late - it was originally supposed
to be 2013[1].

Talking of which, it's gone very quiet on the "Contactless" rollout
on the tube.

[1] From "ITSO news" May 2013:

Summer {that's summer 2103 -ed} will see 21 gated stations within
London start to accept some Southern rail tickets on the key card.
These include Victoria, London Bridge, Purley, Peckham Rye and
Sutton. The rest of this year will see more and more key services
being rolled out ... December is the target date for the
Underground, and London_s ungated and overground rail stations, to
be geared up to accept the key...

I joked about using my Bus Pass on the 11 bus yesterday. Driver nodded me
through. No record of the journey at all either time. I thought I'd try out
some of the nice NB4Ls between Liverpool St station and Parliament Street.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 15th 14, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

I saw "ITSO cards not accepted" on a TfL bus ETM display a few days
ago, so they now do at least recognise ITSO cards.

Not the route 11 NB4Ls I rode on yesterday.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 15th 14, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, 14 July 2014 16:17:11 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

There is also a proposal to extend smart ticketing (Oyster isn't

specifically mentioned) to the Luton Airport bus shuttle to the

Parkway station. That could be interesting if it happens *and*

includes Oyster.

This pdf states that Oyster is the aim: "Smart ticketing to be introduced on bus link. Oyster Pay As You Go to be extended to cover services to/from Luton Airport Parkway, including bus link, subject to agreement with TfL"

http://assets.goaheadbus.com/media/c...%20 route.pdf

Old July 15th 14, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:52:27 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
The big railway doesn't seem very ready for a proper launch yet. I was
ticket inspected on a train last week and the inspector didn't have a
way of checking my contactless card and although he had heard about the
pilot he had never actually seen a membership card before and didn't
know what they looked like. Felt a bit like waving psychic paper about.

While I haven't expended a lot of brain power on the issue I can't see
how contactless bank cards can be checked by any railway inspector. On
a bus the inspector obtains a print out from the driver's machine and
checks card numbers presented by passengers against the list. Given
you just tap your bank card on a reader on the rail network and there
is no "write" record on the bank card (AFAIK) then what is there to
check? The transaction data all goes to a "black box" for calculation
of fares and caps.

It's possible I have a knowledge gap about the card technology and
cards can be checked in some way that I'm unaware of.

Perhaps you can't tell by interrogating the card but you could log all
contactless cards that passengers claim to be using and then as part of
the overnight processing bill any cards that were checked by an inspector
but hadn't started a journey with a penalty fare.

Although that would leave the system open to abuse by people with pre-paid
cards, assuming they can be used at all and they aren't registered to
an individual.
Old July 15th 14, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:15:08 +0100, David Walters wrote:
[...]

I've just logged onto the Contactless website and there is now a 'Today's
Travel' section that appears new. Could the gates/validators now be
close enough to online and real-time that an inspector could have an
online reader that checks with a central database, provided you aren't
currently in a tunnel?
Old July 15th 14, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Walters wrote:
Perhaps you can't tell by interrogating the card but you could log all
contactless cards that passengers claim to be using and then as part of
the overnight processing bill any cards that were checked by an inspector
but hadn't started a journey with a penalty fare.

TfL takes money out of your account later on when it thinks its owed it? I can
see that going down like a bucket of cold sick.

--
Spud

Old July 15th 14, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, 15 July 2014 18:17:27 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:00:13 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dickinson

wrote:

On Monday, 14 July 2014 16:17:11 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

There is also a proposal to extend smart ticketing (Oyster isn't

specifically mentioned) to the Luton Airport bus shuttle to the

Parkway station. That could be interesting if it happens *and*

includes Oyster.

This pdf states that Oyster is the aim: "Smart ticketing to be introduced on bus link. Oyster Pay As You Go to be extended to cover services to/from Luton Airport Parkway, including bus link, subject to agreement with TfL"

http://assets.goaheadbus.com/media/c...%20 route.pdf

Hmm - I may have read that pdf too quickly the other day or Govia

might have tweaked the wording. I'm sure it wasn't quite that clear

about Oyster on the bus link. Thanks for the clarification.

The wording also raises another interesting question which is what

"extend Oyster to and from Luton Airport Parkway" really means. Does

it mean :-

a) from within the zonal area and existing "out boundary" Oyster

equipped stations just to Luton Airport Parkway.

b) from within the zonal area and existing "out boundary" Oyster

equipped station to / from stations from Elstree and Borehamwood up to

and including Luton Airport Parkway

c) from within the zonal area and existing "out boundary" Oyster

equipped station to / from stations from Elstree and Borehamwood up to

and including Luton Airport Parkway and all stations north thereof to

Bedford.

--

Paul C

Other interesting aspects are that EMT would have to accept PAYG, and if LAP is the limit, I can see demands for Luton itself to be included.
Old July 15th 14, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:46:52 on
Tue, 15 Jul 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
Talking of which, it's gone very quiet on the "Contactless" rollout on
the tube.

Expect to hear something very soon.

My friend who is on the trial has apparently been contacted with a view
to being sent the cash-bonus for trialists. Which might indicate it's
coming to an end.