Old July 15th 14, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG Extensions

In message , at 17:15:08 on
Tue, 15 Jul 2014, David Walters remarked:
It's possible I have a knowledge gap about the card technology and
cards can be checked in some way that I'm unaware of.

I don't think the cards can be checked, but in theory an online gripper
could ask the back-office if they've seen any flying pigs delivering
that card number and an associated touch-in recently.

Perhaps you can't tell by interrogating the card but you could log all
contactless cards that passengers claim to be using and then as part of
the overnight processing bill any cards that were checked by an inspector
but hadn't started a journey with a penalty fare.

Although that would leave the system open to abuse by people with pre-paid
cards, assuming they can be used at all and they aren't registered to
an individual.

And the reverse, which is accidentally giving the gripper the "wrong"
card and hence creating an unresolved journey when in fact you had
touched in with another of your cards.

Old July 15th 14, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:33:39 on
Tue, 15 Jul 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:39:04 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Talking of which, it's gone very quiet on the "Contactless" rollout on
the tube.

No date yet but some feedback from the Mayorwatch blog that may be of
interest.

http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/much-del...ess-rail-fares
-cant-fail-to-impress/

"TfL say customers will only ever pay the lowest fare for their journey"

I bet that doesn't include price-matching split ticketing of the kind
someone was discussing earlier.
Old July 16th 14, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/much-del...rail-fares-can
t-fail-to-impress/

"TfL say customers will only ever pay the lowest fare for their journey"

I bet that doesn't include price-matching split ticketing of the kind
someone was discussing earlier.

Hmm. Time to involve Trading Standards or the ASA?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 16th 14, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in
:

In article ,
(Roland

http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/much-del...less-rail-fare
s-can

t-fail-to-impress/

"TfL say customers will only ever pay the lowest fare for their
journey"

I bet that doesn't include price-matching split ticketing of the kind
someone was discussing earlier.

Hmm. Time to involve Trading Standards or the ASA?

TfL certainly used to say for Oyster that "customers will only ever pay the
lowest fare for their journey", but I thought it had been dropped a few
years ago (there are a fair number of scenarios, things like National Rail
journeys with railcards starting between 16.00 and 19.00, where Oyster
doesn't offer the lowest fare).

I'm amazed this claim is being made for contactless.

David

Old July 17th 14, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/07/2014 13:52, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:02:04 +0100, David Walters
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:46:52 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
[snip]

While I haven't expended a lot of brain power on the issue I can't see
how contactless bank cards can be checked by any railway inspector. On
a bus the inspector obtains a print out from the driver's machine and
checks card numbers presented by passengers against the list. Given
you just tap your bank card on a reader on the rail network and there
is no "write" record on the bank card (AFAIK) then what is there to
check? The transaction data all goes to a "black box" for calculation
of fares and caps.

It's possible I have a knowledge gap about the card technology and
cards can be checked in some way that I'm unaware of.

With contactless EMV cards (cEMV - bank cards) you are correct that
nothing can be written back to the card at the point of use (although
that may change in the future. So the only way that a mid-trip ticket
inspection can work is that the 'tap' record from teh inspector's device
is fed back to the back office system.

If there is a cirresponding 'entry tap' for the same card within an
appropriate interval before the inspection then all is well, and the
back office will charge thepassenger the 'normal' fare, subject to any
appropriate caps, discounts, etc. But if there isnt an entry tap, then
the passenger (or more accurately their card) can be charged a
'standard' (aka 'penalty') fare, although this may well require a change
to the Conditions of Carriage.

HTH

Kevin