Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 14th 14, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Any way to force a break of journey other than using two oystercards?

This is mainly out of interest now because I don't anticipate doing it
much more but I've recently been doing Z1 to Watford Junction using PAYG
with a gold card registered in the peak time but against the main flow
(i.e. out of London in the morning and into London in the evening)

On the way out in the morning I've been doing:

Z1-Euston Square on a second PAYG card 2.20
Euston to Watford Junction on my main PAYG card 3:10

Doing it all on my main PAYG card cost me 8.90

The return journey, Watford Junction to Z1 costs 3.95 on my main PAYG
card even though the Z1 underground bit is done in the peak hours.

This isn't a huge deal except that one morning as I sat down on the tube
I realized I had my main card in my hand and my second card in my pocket
and I wasn't sure I'd used the right one at the barrier. (I had, I'd
touched in and then put it in my pocket while holding the other card in
my other hand.) It would be nice if there was a way to force this break
of journey without the risk of using the wrong card somewhere and ending
up with two incomplete journeys.

One possibility would be to walk from KX to Euston instead of Euston
Square, however that can be quite a slow journey as the pavements aren't
very wide compared to the number of people who use them, many wheeling
large bags to or from St Pancras.

As an aside, I thought using oyster was supposed to guarantee the
cheapest journey. Even without the gold card, doing my journey on two
cards is 6.90.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/