Old May 16th 07, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Standard Day Return - break of journey?

This feels like it would have been asked numerous times on here
before, but either it hasn't been or my Google Groups search skills
are not up to the task - apologies if it's the latter!

I've got a Standard Day Return from Crayford to London today (£9.20).
On my way home I would like to stop off in Bexley (the stop before
Crayford), leave the station to drop something off nearby, then return
to the station and finish my trip to Crayford on the next train.

Is this permitted on my ticket? Will I need to plead with the person
manning the manual gate at Bexley or will the gate just return my
ticket to me automatically for later use?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

Old May 16th 07, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 16, 9:00 am, wrote:
Is this permitted on my ticket? Will I need to plead with the person
manning the manual gate at Bexley or will the gate just return my
ticket to me automatically for later use?

"Break of journey is permitted on outward and return portions of
ticket."
http://ojp2.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj...etTypeCode=SDR

(annoyingly these pages aren't indexed anywhere and you have to go
through the journey planner or Google)

Old May 16th 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 09:53, Mr Thant wrote:

"Break of journey is permitted on outward and return portions of
ticket."http://ojp2.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/tr?ticketTypeCode=SDR

Excellent - thank you!

(annoyingly these pages aren't indexed anywhere and you have to go
through the journey planner or Google)

Indeed - although even then you have greater mastery of the necessary
skills than do I: I did actually try the Journey Planner earlier to
see if I could find a page like that but to no avail. All I seemed to
be able to get to was a one-sentence summary of what the 'Open' ticket
type meant. Hooray for Usenet and its helpful populus

Paul

Old May 16th 07, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...

This feels like it would have been asked numerous times on here
before, but either it hasn't been or my Google Groups search skills
are not up to the task - apologies if it's the latter!

I've got a Standard Day Return from Crayford to London today (£9.20).
On my way home I would like to stop off in Bexley (the stop before
Crayford), leave the station to drop something off nearby, then return
to the station and finish my trip to Crayford on the next train.

Is this permitted on my ticket? Will I need to plead with the person
manning the manual gate at Bexley or will the gate just return my
ticket to me automatically for later use?

Yes it is permitted, but its probaby best not to assume that the automatic
gates will return the ticket, there'd be loads of hassle if they didn't!
I'd use the staffed gate anyway and tell the staff whta you are doing.

Paul

Old May 16th 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 16, 10:30 am, wrote:
Indeed - although even then you have greater mastery of the necessary
skills than do I: I did actually try the Journey Planner earlier to
see if I could find a page like that but to no avail. All I seemed to
be able to get to was a one-sentence summary of what the 'Open' ticket
type meant. Hooray for Usenet and its helpful populus

Click the "more" button next to where it says Open, and it'll list the
actual ticket types separately, and clicking them gets you to a page
like what I linked to.

Old May 16th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 May 2007 10:33:54 +0100, Paul Scott wrote:

Yes it is permitted, but its probaby best not to assume that the automatic
gates will return the ticket, there'd be loads of hassle if they didn't!
I'd use the staffed gate anyway and tell the staff whta you are doing.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I went to use the staffed gate on my way out at Bexley and was just
waved through without needing to explain anything.

When I returned to the station, I again approached the member of staff
and this time explained what I had done. He suggested trying my ticket
in the gates as they wouldn't swallow it up in this direction so then I
could find out if it worked. Sure enough, the gates opened fine.

Of course, on the way out of the station is another matter - I don't
think I'd like to chance that, as you say!

Oh well, it's all been very useful to know for the future (as well as
this afternoon), anyway.

Paul
Old May 16th 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 May 2007 02:42:35 -0700, Mr Thant wrote:

Click the "more" button next to where it says Open, and it'll list the
actual ticket types separately, and clicking them gets you to a page
like what I linked to.

Goodness me, they don't make it easy, do they? Thanks for your help!

Paul