Old July 21st 13, 03:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Silly 'break of journey' question

I'm 99.9% sure of this, but after advising a friend about ticketing who
is highly doubtful of my advice, I've stupidly allowed 0.1% of doubt to
creep in, so as a belt-and-braces measure I thought I'd just quickly
check here.

If one buy an Anytime single ticket from A to C, one can travel A to B
in the morning, go and do a day's work (or indeed go and 'do' a day's
fun etc), then travel from B to C in the evening and go home (or go to
the circus etc).

(For clarity, there's no complex interpretation of the routing guide
involved here, nor any cross-London tube transfer - though that needn't
make any difference so long as the BoJ isn't attempted in the middle of
a cross-London tube transfer journey.)

The point I'm making to my friend is that if they wanted to make an
A-B-C journey with a BoJ at B within the London zones, with the A-B
portion occurring in the morning peak, then actually buying a paper NR
ticket might be cheaper than paying 2x peak Oyster NR PAYG fares,
depending on the journeys in question.

Example... (all Oyster NR PAYG fares quoted are peak, charged on
weekdays between 0630-0930 and 1600-1900)

Surbiton to Clapham Junction with BoJ at Wimbledon.

Anytime Single (paper ticket) - £4.40

Surbiton to Wimbledon Oyster NR Peak fare - £3.20
Wimbledon to Clapham Jn Oyster NR Peak fare - £2.10
(Total of £5.30.)

Of course, when it comes to it, avoiding the morning rush hour
ticket-buying queues and zapping straight through with Oyster might be
worth 90p!

Old July 21st 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure of this, but after advising a friend about ticketing who
is highly doubtful of my advice, I've stupidly allowed 0.1% of doubt to
creep in, so as a belt-and-braces measure I thought I'd just quickly check here.

If one buy an Anytime single ticket from A to C, one can travel A to B in
the morning, go and do a day's work (or indeed go and 'do' a day's fun
etc), then travel from B to C in the evening and go home (or go to the circus etc).

Yes. The one exception is that if B is a Tube station when crossing London
as part of the ticket, you have to pay for the extra Tube trip from B to
the relevant London terminal to continue.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old July 21st 13, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 21/07/2013 22:11,
wrote:

(Neil Williams) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure of this, but after advising a friend about ticketing
who is highly doubtful of my advice, I've stupidly allowed 0.1% of
doubt to creep in, so as a belt-and-braces measure I thought I'd just
quickly check here.

If one buy an Anytime single ticket from A to C, one can travel A to B
in the morning, go and do a day's work (or indeed go and 'do' a day's
fun etc), then travel from B to C in the evening and go home (or go to
the circus etc).

Yes. The one exception is that if B is a Tube station when crossing
London as part of the ticket, you have to pay for the extra Tube trip
from B to the relevant London terminal to continue.

You can't even exit the tube at a station that isn't on the list for
cross-London journeys.

I think I've read conflicting info on this particular issue, but I
remember reading on the District Dave forum that in practice, LU
staff will let people out of a station (at least within central
London) if they ask. That said, it's certainly not the intention of
the cross-London tube transfer ticketing arrangements to facilitate
this.

I was refused exit at Goodge Street on a cross-London ticket once and told
in no uncertain terms that I could only go to and from main line stations. I
went back to Euston and exited there without problems.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 22nd 13, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
16:01:34 on Sun, 21 Jul 2013,
remarked:
Similar problem I ran across asked by my daughter. She needs to come back
from Gatwick to Cambridge. As she flew out from Stansted she needs a
single ticket.

The problem is the flight arrival time is touch and go for catching the
last train with a connection that night to Cambridge. But the only
GTW-CBG fare is a day single as far as I can tell. So, can she get a
ticket which allows her complete her journey the next day, bearing in
mind she may not know at Gatwick which she will be doing?

The regular single has "no restrictions", which I think means that
section 16(ii) of the NCoC isn't over-riden, viz:

"stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete
your journey within one day"

Some tickets have a condition that you must resume the journey by
midday the second day, but not apparently this one.

I agree that as a "Day single" it could be argued that the validity
expires overnight anyway, but the National Rail site is silent about
any difference between "anytime", and "day" singles...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...pes/46550.aspx

Not on that link it isn't. "Anytime Day (Single and Return) tickets must be
used on the date shown on your ticket and up to 04:29 the following day.".
The only standard class fares offered are Anytime Day Singles, "Valid 1 day
only".

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 22nd 13, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Offpeak for railcard, was Silly 'break of journey' question

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:17:24 +0100, wrote:

In article , (Roland
Perry)
wrote:

[...]

slight change of topic - when does off peak for a network railcard finish?
(begins at 10am during the week)