Old February 11th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Routes.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:48:11 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

(sorry for not replying to the root post - i've long since deleted it,
and this thought only just struck me)

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Kat
), in message
who said:

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?

How about routes which have night-bus equivalents? Then they're useful at
any time.

Some routes are having the "N" element of the route number abolished so
there is no difference between day and night operation - the route is
simply 24 hour. Examples include the 12, 94, 65, 108 and 176.

The obvious mistake here is that you won't be at work when the night buses
are running, so you'll never need to advise people about them. Still, as a
general point, it might be something to consider.

Kat might be at work - people do miss last trains into town even though
the station will be open for trains going the other way. Night buses
become important then - Leicester Square station for example has lots of
night bus info for rather obvious reasons.

The important local night buses for Mile End are the N8, N25 and N277.
Down the road at Limehouse you've got the N15 and N50. At a stretch in
the other direction towards Hackney Wick you've got the N26 and N236. I
guess you could chuck in the 108 from Bow Church over to Lewisham as
well.
--
Paul C

Old February 11th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

who said:

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?

How about routes which have night-bus equivalents? Then they're useful at
any time.

Some routes are having the "N" element of the route number abolished so
there is no difference between day and night operation - the route is
simply 24 hour. Examples include the 12, 94, 65, 108 and 176.

Good point.

The obvious mistake here is that you won't be at work when the night buses
are running, so you'll never need to advise people about them. Still, as a
general point, it might be something to consider.

Kat might be at work - people do miss last trains into town even though
the station will be open for trains going the other way. Night buses
become important then - Leicester Square station for example has lots of
night bus info for rather obvious reasons.

Okay, i didn't realise the last train out was that late.

The important local night buses for Mile End are the N8, N25 and N277.
Down the road at Limehouse you've got the N15 and N50. At a stretch in
the other direction towards Hackney Wick you've got the N26 and N236. I
guess you could chuck in the 108 from Bow Church over to Lewisham as
well.

If you fancy a little walk down the Mile End Road, you've got the N106 and
N253 from Whitechapel as well.

tom

--
A plug on its back, straining to suck voltage from the sky

Old February 12th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Paul Corfield wrote:

Kat might be at work - people do miss last trains into town even though
the station will be open for trains going the other way. Night buses
become important then - Leicester Square station for example has lots of
night bus info for rather obvious reasons.

Okay, i didn't realise the last train out was that late.

Our last eastbound train doesn't leave until 00.59 (and that's if there
have been no problems)
Many of us depend on the night-bus service to get home and to get in for
the first shift which may start before 05.00
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 12th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:
The obvious mistake here is that you won't be at work when the night buses
are running, so you'll never need to advise people about them. Still, as a
general point, it might be something to consider.

Kat might be at work - people do miss last trains into town even though
the station will be open for trains going the other way. Night buses
become important then - Leicester Square station for example has lots of
night bus info for rather obvious reasons.

Kat most certainly will be at work outside traffic hours for two weeks
in every seven; we are a Section 12 station, we wouldn't be able to open
unless we had the right number of staff.

The important local night buses for Mile End are the N8, N25 and N277.
Down the road at Limehouse you've got the N15 and N50. At a stretch in
the other direction towards Hackney Wick you've got the N26 and N236. I
guess you could chuck in the 108 from Bow Church over to Lewisham as
well.

Thanks; the local ones I know but that 108 seems one to remember.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 12th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote the following in:

Kat most certainly will be at work outside traffic hours for two
weeks in every seven; we are a Section 12 station, we wouldn't be
able to open unless we had the right number of staff.

What's a Section 12 station?

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
The Hutton Report is a whitewash! Long live the BBC!

Crime is confusing.

Old February 12th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robin May
writes
Kat wrote the following in:

Kat most certainly will be at work outside traffic hours for two
weeks in every seven; we are a Section 12 station, we wouldn't be
able to open unless we had the right number of staff.

What's a Section 12 station?

OK, never too early for a bit of ATOR [1] revision...

Following the King's Cross fire in 1987, regulations were made under
Section 12 of the Fire Precautions Act 1971 to cover fire safety
arrangements in sub-surface railway stations (The Fire Precautions
(Sub-surface Railway Stations) Regulations 1989) from recommendations
arising from the Fennell Report.

It means any station that's not on an open section is subject to strict
requirements concerning staff numbers and training, evacuation
procedures, fire detection, compartmentation, the use of fire resistant
materials and is enforceable by LFCDA who make regular inspections.

[1] Annual Test Of Rules
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 13th 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , Robin May

and is enforceable by LFCDA who make regular inspections.

Now rebranded LFEPA. I think Civil Defence sounds better than Emergency
Planning.

Dave.

Old February 13th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat typed

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?

Other have posted many useful routes. My next suggestions are more
complex (and potentially more numerous) These are bus routes which link
sections of the Underground with other lines, avoiding a pricy Zone 1
interchange.

For example:

114 Mill Hill Broadway (Thameslink) - Burnt Oak (Northern) -
Queensbury (Jubilee) - Harrow (Metropolitan & Chiltern) - South Harrow
(Piccadilly) - Ruislip Manor (Met + Picc) - Ruislip (Met & Picc)

140 (Also N140) Heathrow Airport (Picc)-Hayes & Harlington (Thames) -
Northolt (Central)- South Harrow (Picc) - Harrow (Met & Chiltern)
Harrow & Wealdstone (Bakerloo, Silverlink) - Harrow Weald

etc...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.