Old August 9th 14, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Tunbridge Wells

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 14:17:07 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message

, at 08:03:47 on Sat, 9 Aug 2014, Recliner

remarked:

And for places like Dartford the choice would be extending Z6 there,
making it Z7, or creating a brand new 'pseudo-zone'.

Isn't it that already, given that the normally z1-6 limited Freedom passes
are valid there, but zone-6 travelcards aren't.

No, because Oyster PAYG has to know what to charge (based on where you
started, having finished there), something that a Freedom Pass by
definition doesn't.

But equally by definition the equipment at Dartford has to be able to
read Oyster Cards and be programmed to read / accept / write to
Freedom Passes. Equally Freedom Passes have to say "hello I am valid
at Dartford". It is clear from previous comments that Freedom Passes
are not processed electronically at Dartford. Holders have to show
their passes and be passed manually through the gates by South Eastern
staff.

It's ages since I went to Dartford by train but I rather suspect the
gates are not equipped with any form of smartcard reader.

That's how it looked to me.

The issue here is not just fares - it is about establishing the
correct validity in whatever equipment for all of the relevant
products available at any additional location. With magnetic ticketing
there was more than one way to fix this particular problem. I don't
know what is in the Oyster card encoding and whether it has further
capability beyond "15 zones".