Old September 25th 14, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default All-night Tube trains from Sep 2015

In message , at 00:16:46 on Thu, 25 Sep
2014, Mizter T remarked:
[...]
So what is it: 2,000 more or 1,000 less?

I rather suspect the 2,000 jobs are jobs in the wider economy not in
TfL / LU. That's how I read it.

Given the number of taxi and bus drivers it'll put out of a job, I'm not
sure where the increase in jobs outside TfL will come from.

The 'night time economy'. Which, in the case of London, is very much a
real thing. Dare I say perhaps one needs to see it to believe it.
Certain places (not just the west end) are busy.

Not ladies of the night, surely?

Old September 25th 14, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:02:01 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2014\09\24 23:55, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:21:41 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Serious stuff needs 52 hours, sometimes longer. This is why you get
Friday night to Monday morning closures.

These could still take place. I don't think they've announced that
"night tubes" will be any more uninterruptable than the current ones.

I agree that such an announcement hasn't been made. However there is a
credibility point about not launching a new service and then
immediately cancelling it for umpteen weekends in a row. All that will
do is upset prospective passengers and give the media an easy story to
beat TfL with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly ;-)

Does anyone know why the Bakerloo has been left out?

Just speculation, but presumably the trains would sometimes be unable
to use NR tracks overnight, thus limiting the service to south of
Queen's Park (which would limit its usefulness). But the main depot is
further north, at Stonebridge Park, which may not always be accessible
via NR tracks overnight.
Old September 25th 14, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know why the Bakerloo has been left out?

Just speculation, but presumably the trains would sometimes be unable
to use NR tracks overnight, thus limiting the service to south of
Queen's Park (which would limit its usefulness). But the main depot is
further north, at Stonebridge Park, which may not always be accessible
via NR tracks overnight.

Why would access to the main depot be needed? A few trains from the
evening shift would run all night, and London Road could deal with any
broken windows or other minor disasters.
Old September 25th 14, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:52:39 +0100
Recliner wrote:
Just speculation, but presumably the trains would sometimes be unable
to use NR tracks overnight, thus limiting the service to south of
Queen's Park (which would limit its usefulness). But the main depot is
further north, at Stonebridge Park, which may not always be accessible
via NR tracks overnight.

I'm surprised TfL haven't taken over the line euston - watford junction line
yet. Do they not want it or is there some reason they can't have it?

--
Spud

Old September 25th 14, 04:37 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Jet[_4_] View Post
On 2014\09\24 18:08, Robin9 wrote:
'Basil Jet[_4_ Wrote:
;144764']On 2014\09\24 11:46, Roland Perry wrote:-

Given the number of taxi and bus drivers it'll put out of a job, I'm
not
sure where the increase in jobs outside TfL will come from.-

Proper taxi drivers will probably do well out of it, since it will keep

suburban ranks busy all night, and reduce long loss-making jobs for
central area drivers to the suburbs... but thousands of minicab drivers

might be out of a "job".

There are not suburban taxi ranks throughout the outer suburbs.

As for minicab drivers, those working for firms near suburban stations
will do
quite well because undoubtedly people will travel in the early hours to
the
station nearest their home and get a minicab for the last leg of the
journey.

The drivers who will suffer are those - mostly unlicensed - minicab
drivers
who tout for work in Central London and then charge rip-off prices to
the
suburbs.

.... who will give up working Central London and work the suburbs
instead, taking work off the drivers who you say will do well?
Wrong. The basis of touting for work in Central London is that
there is a shortage of proper taxis or minicabs. The touts hang
around the areas where there are many late night travellers,
e.g. Piccadilly Circus or outside known night spots and accost
people who look as if they are trying to find a way of getting home.
As there is no ready alternative available, the hapless travellers
accept the proposition.

When people arrive at their local Tube station, they have an
alternative: the cab firm by the station. Apart from a few
hopelessly drunk idiots, none will use a tout.

As for well-known night spots in the suburbs, there is already
considerable touting and there has been for decades. Again,
the underlying condition is that there is no alternative available
to people coming out of clubs, other than 'phoning a cab firm
or - now - contacting Uber.

I suspect that Uber will gradually kill off touting in the suburbs.

Old September 30th 14, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-09-25 16:36:42 +0000, d said:

I'm surprised TfL haven't taken over the line euston - watford junction line
yet. Do they not want it or is there some reason they can't have it?

I don't think NR will let them have it. It's a potentially useful
diversionary route.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 30th 14, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-09-25 16:36:42 +0000, d said:

I'm surprised TfL haven't taken over the line euston - watford
junction line yet. Do they not want it or is there some reason
they can't have it?

I don't think NR will let them have it. It's a potentially useful
diversionary route.

This makes it sound like it's something on the table - AFAIAA it's not.
Old September 30th 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-09-25 16:36:42 +0000, d said:

I'm surprised TfL haven't taken over the line euston - watford
junction line
yet. Do they not want it or is there some reason they can't have it?

I don't think NR will let them have it. It's a potentially useful
diversionary route.

Only for diesel trains.