Old February 12th 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

Keith J Chesworth wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:06:34 +0000 (UTC), "Cast_Iron"
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Matt
Ashby writes
WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

Because you regularly need to get home after the last train? (And
that's just *one* example).

Out of all the people who travel into, out of, within or through
central London what percentage need to travel after the last train
has left?

Besides the revellers, quite a small army of Maintainance and service
ppl, from Cleaners, security, to Engineers.

Excepting the revellers, they will all need to carry tools and other
equipment so will have a "legitimate" reason for driving. But it still
doesn't answer the question regarding what percentage need to travel after
the last train has left?

Old February 12th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North
wrote:

For a long story not worth going into I am currently trying to prove
for a client the benefits of using a private car/taxi over public
transport.

If the story is not worth going into, nor is the answer!

Are you by any chance a used car dealer?

I am intrested in anyone who lives in London (or any other
major city/Town in the UK or rest of the world) who has access to good
public transport such as buses, trams, trains, underground, other LTR
but still drives to their place of work. Any views, opionions outright
rants agasint public transport inculding the obvious overcrowding,
dirty trains, expense would be appericated.

The best reason I've heard was the fake ad on Smack The Pony:
Cars - so much bigger than your average handbag!

Unfortunely spamming and a general distrust agasint anyone asking for
personal details on the internet stops me for being e-mailed directly.

Try writing out your email address and ROT13ing it.

So just post here. Although if you really are anti-public transport I
would like to hear from you and will give you an accessible e-mail
address.

My sister drives everywhere, claiming that buses and trains are too
noisy!

--
Aidan Stanger
fgnat_n ng vuht qbgpbz qbg nh
Old February 12th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Cast_Iron
writes
But it still
doesn't answer the question regarding what percentage need to travel after
the last train has left?

The question you should really ask is: how many need to travel
occasionally after the last train has left. Because being forced to find
a different way home, for those occasions (eg a car), leaves you more
likely to consider using the car at all times.

In my own case, the unreliability of WAGN after Hatfield caused me to
reconsider travelling by train, and to buy a new car and drive to work
every day (not just the days I couldn't afford to be late), because once
I had the car I might as well use it (being half an hour quicker than
the train, even when the train was running perfectly).
Old February 12th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Not the fixed base ones I am thinking about.

Keiths
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

Old February 15th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's been quite a while since I regularly used the tube, but one thing
not to my taste was buskers in the carriages. There were two in
particular: the first was a scruffy yob with a crap guitar who plagued
the Piccadilly line from Heathrow - the incoming tourists loved him
"Gee so this is London's cool music scene"; the second was a
travelling band of Peruvian (?) players in national dress, complete
with drums and panpipes, who used the District line in the central
area, and were quite intrusive when pasing the hat round at the end.

The right place for buskers is at the end of the escalators or in the
interchange areas (not platforms) where you are free to give them
something or not, and are not forced to listen to them for long. ISTR
LUL now has some sort of "Approved Busker" scheme of this nature, but
do you still get the itinerant noise-merchant in the carriages?
Old February 16th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robert Eves wrote:

(snip)

do you still get the itinerant noise-merchant in the carriages?

I have only experienced this on one occasion in London (it's much more
common on the Paris Metro). You are more likely, in my experience, to
encounter beggars, sometimes a woman carrying a child, on tube trains,
though even these are uncommon.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).
Old February 16th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robert Eves wrote:
do you still get the itinerant noise-merchant in the carriages?

Yes, especially on the District Line for some reason. I regularly take
it from East Putney to the City, and I often come across two scruffy
blokes with a guitar and a pair of bongos, who regail the passengers to
such home-grown classics as "You Can't Have A Shave In A Toilet".

I turn up my Minidisc and ignore them as best I can. I like to be left
in peace and quiet when travelling.

Old February 16th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in message ...
Crawley

A "guided bus" system called Fastway is currently under construction. It
has been causing chaos for about two years already and is far from finished,
and is costing a fortune.

The route is already running, and is (and will be) serving only a small part
of the town. The rest of the bus system is in decay - old uncomfotable
buses. As a result of the introduction, other services in the area are
being curtailed, meaning that busy routes which were direct now have to been
done with changing.

Not a great incentive to use public transport.

The money would have been far better spent providing a modern, efficient
system for the whole town.

As someone who use to live in the Crawley area. The only good think
about Crawley buses was the Metrobus (the dark blue buses whatever
they were called) under female driver who use to wear a Metrobus
issued short skirt. If all bus drivers were like this maybe congestion
would fall.
Old February 16th 04, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Robert Eves) wrote in message om...
[...]

Buy a walkman. It blocks out all buskers/gushing rich
people/weirdos/reglious-preachers/other people talking crap. It also
does the same on all other modes of public transport. However caution
should be used however like me you could find yourself on the last
train heading to Littlehampton when you want to go to Southampton.
However you never heard the annoucement at Worthing that the train was
now dividing.