Old February 16th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

In article om,
Grendel writes
In article , Robert Eves wrote:
do you still get the itinerant noise-merchant in the carriages?

Yes, especially on the District Line for some reason. I regularly take
it from East Putney to the City, and I often come across two scruffy
blokes with a guitar and a pair of bongos, who regail the passengers to
such home-grown classics as "You Can't Have A Shave In A Toilet".

I turn up my Minidisc and ignore them as best I can. I like to be left
in peace and quiet when travelling.

There is a major begging problem on the Picc from Heathrow to
Hammersmith with lots of begging gangs working the section of line'

I was going through one of the central London stations last week and
heard an announcement about beggars on the Northern causing service
problems by refusing to leave the train and fighting with Police and LU
staff.

Sorry, can't remember what station I was at - possibly KX?

I think that drivers should make regular announcements re beggars on the
trains asking people not to give money to them.

--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old February 16th 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

I think that drivers should make regular announcements re beggars
on the trains asking people not to give money to them.

I don't! The last thing I want to hear is another routine announcement
on top of the "We are currently operating a good service on..." ones.
Those ones are getting rather annoying, can't they make them only when
there are problems?

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
The Hutton Report is a whitewash! Long live the BBC!

To annoy people in a slow lift: run up the stairs faster than the lift
moves and press the lift call button on each floor.
Old February 16th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin May
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

I think that drivers should make regular announcements re beggars
on the trains asking people not to give money to them.

I don't! The last thing I want to hear is another routine announcement
on top of the "We are currently operating a good service on..." ones.
Those ones are getting rather annoying, can't they make them only when
there are problems?

LU has been heavily criticised in the past for providing no information
to the passengers about problems. I agree with you that there are now
too many announcements about service etc but I feel an on train
announcement re beggars every 20 mins or so would not be amiss.
Old February 16th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

I think that drivers should make regular announcements re beggars
on the trains asking people not to give money to them.

I don't! The last thing I want to hear is another routine announcement
on top of the "We are currently operating a good service on..." ones.
Those ones are getting rather annoying, can't they make them only when
there are problems?

Because it's not "customer friendly".

Old February 16th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

LU has been heavily criticised in the past for providing no
information to the passengers about problems. I agree with you
that there are now too many announcements about service etc but I
feel an on train announcement re beggars every 20 mins or so would
not be amiss.

I've only really seen beggars on trains on the Heathrow section of the
Piccadilly line, the NLL and occasionally on the District line. I'd be
very annoyed if I was constantly being warned about beggars that I
never see, especially seeing as when I have encountered beggars no one
has given them money anyway.