Old February 11th 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Route Numbering

Sheer curiosity following a conversation with someone as we drove through
Croydon last night.

Is there a logic to the numbering of bus routes in the London area, such a
1-100 means one thing, 101-200 means something else, or are they random,
maybe loosely based upon a logical system of long ago that has fallen into
disuse?

Old February 11th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Is there a logic to the numbering of bus routes in the London area, such a
1-100 means one thing, 101-200 means something else, or are they random,
maybe loosely based upon a logical system of long ago that has fallen into
disuse?

I defer to those who know what they are talking about but I think there were
at least some basic rules. For example 1-99 were routes that orginated in
central London, 2xx were once single deckers, 3xx were London Country routes
north of the river, 4xx London Country south of the river and so on.

Old February 11th 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message
Is there a logic to the numbering of bus routes in the London area, such

1-100 means one thing, 101-200 means something else, or are they random,
maybe loosely based upon a logical system of long ago that has fallen

into
disuse?

I defer to those who know what they are talking about but I think there

were
at least some basic rules. For example 1-99 were routes that orginated in
central London, 2xx were once single deckers, 3xx were London Country

routes
north of the river, 4xx London Country south of the river and so on.

Thanks, that is the sort of thing I was wondering.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else comes up with anything agreeing or
otherwise.

Old February 11th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bus Route Numbering

good idea but to late
Old February 11th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Proctor46" wrote in message
Bus Route Numbering

good idea but to late

err??

Old February 11th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:59:31 -0000, "Graham J"
wrote:

Is there a logic to the numbering of bus routes in the London area, such a
1-100 means one thing, 101-200 means something else, or are they random,
maybe loosely based upon a logical system of long ago that has fallen into
disuse?

I defer to those who know what they are talking about but I think there were
at least some basic rules. For example 1-99 were routes that orginated in
central London, 2xx were once single deckers, 3xx were London Country routes
north of the river, 4xx London Country south of the river and so on.

Which was broadly true when London Country was part of the LT Network
prior to 1970. Route development since that time plus the introduction
of many lettered routes means the logic no longer applies in a coherent
manner. Deregulation of services in surrounding counties has also had
some effect on numbering convention on cross boundary services.
--
Paul C

Old February 11th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul,

Any idea about 1xx?

cheers

Henry
(Admits to remembering old-style trams and trolleybuses!)

Old February 11th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message ...

I defer to those who know what they are talking about but I think there were
at least some basic rules. For example 1-99 were routes that orginated in
central London, 2xx were once single deckers

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the 83 has ever gone
anywhere near Central London, and the 207 wasn't a single decker -
it was the old 607 trolley.

Bob
Old February 11th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I defer to those who know what they are talking about but I think there
were
at least some basic rules. For example 1-99 were routes that orginated

in
central London, 2xx were once single deckers

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the 83 has ever gone
anywhere near Central London,

Well perhaps I needed to say mostly or generally, and perhaps the range was
perhaps more like 1 to 80 or thereabouts. As a very rough answer to the
original question pending the arrival of an expert with detailed knowledge I
think I was on the right lines though.

and the 207 wasn't a single decker - it was the old 607 trolley.

Yes and the 259 and the 279 were the 659 and 679 trolleys but trolley bus
replacement was only 40 years or so ago and the 'once' I referred to goes
back before then. The top fifteen or twenty numbers or thereabouts in the
2xx range were once night buses before the N prefix came in.

Old February 11th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in :

Is there a logic to the numbering of bus routes in the London area,
such a 1-100 means one thing, 101-200 means something else, or are
they random, maybe loosely based upon a logical system of long ago
that has fallen into disuse?

In recent history there are many examples of the first digit being used to
distinguish similar routes, usually if one big route is split into a number
of overlapping parts
eg 68 - 68 , 168 , 468
12 - 12 , 312

--