Old February 12th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Route Numbering

In article , Henry writes
Is there a logic to the numbering of bus routes in the London area, such a
1-100 means one thing, 101-200 means something else, or are they random,
maybe loosely based upon a logical system of long ago that has fallen into
disuse?

Pulling together various comments here and elsewhere.

1-199: original Central London routes, later "red buses".

2xx: originally used for single-decker routes, then for trolleybus
replacement, then merged into a single 1-299 block.

3xx: originally "green buses" (London Country) north of the Thames.

4xx: originally "green buses" (London Country) south of the Thames.

5xx: trolleybuses, later reused for Red Arrow

6xx: trolleybuses

7xx: Green Line

8xx: various special services

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old February 12th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

) that the 24 is the oldest unaltered bus route in London,

it's the same today as it was in1937....
Old February 12th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry, not following you. What have London bus route numbers got to do with
Switzerland?

well ...they would have started a number sistem
and stuck to it.....we in the uk just mess every thing up........

Old February 12th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Proctor46" wrote in message

Sorry, not following you. What have London bus route numbers got to do

with
Switzerland?

well ...they would have started a number sistem
and stuck to it.....we in the uk just mess every thing up........

I see what you mean now :-)

Old February 12th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I see what you mean now :-)

sorey it's me....sometimes i only write 1/2 of what i'm thinking...will try
harder!

Old February 12th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Proctor46) wrote:

) that the 24 is the oldest unaltered bus route in London,

it's the same today as it was in1937....

Amazing. Presumably a slight variation at Trafalgar Square!

--
Peter Beale
Old February 12th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,

(Proctor46) wrote:

) that the 24 is the oldest unaltered bus route in London,

it's the same today as it was in1937....

Amazing. Presumably a slight variation at Trafalgar Square!

And I wouldn't have thought the Gower Street and Camden Town one-way-systems
are that old.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 12th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Many Thanks

Thanks everybody, I think you have covered the reply to my query very well.

Old February 12th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

And I wouldn't have thought the Gower Street and Camden Town one-way-systems
are that old.

we are talking point to point.