Old February 11th 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Route Numbering

good idea but to late

i think that were you to renumber the rutes now would cause a lot of
problems...had it been done from the early days....1910's..and stuck to .......

Old February 11th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Graham J) wrote:

The top fifteen or twenty numbers or thereabouts in the
2xx range were once night buses before the N prefix came in.

285-292, 294-298 (also 168, and Inter-Station Buses and some
trolleybuses) in my 1959 map.

--
Peter Beale
Old February 12th 04, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Proctor46" wrote in message
good idea but to late

i think that were you to renumber the rutes now would cause a lot of
problems...had it been done from the early days....1910's..and stuck to

I was not making any such suggestion, as my original post makes clear, it
was mere curiosity as to the origins of the system - nothing more than that.

Please do not imply things that are not there - I have no hidden agenda.

Old February 12th 04, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Please do not imply things that are not there - I have no hidden agenda.

no....i was thinking it though.....i think your right ....but this is not
Switzerland. sence...but
Old February 12th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Proctor46" wrote in message

Please do not imply things that are not there - I have no hidden agenda.

no....i was thinking it though.....i think your right ....but this is not
Switzerland. sence...but

Sorry, not following you. What have London bus route numbers got to do with
Switzerland?

Old February 12th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter
Beale writes
And the 96 tram became the 696 trolley which became the 96 bus.

One of the longest lived must be the 7 tram which begat the 607
trolleybus which begat the 207 motorbus which now has a 607 express
variant......

I read somewhere not too long ago (and I can't for the life of me
remember where) that the 24 is the oldest unaltered bus route in London,
which certainly seems pretty likely.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for