Old February 14th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default oyster unresolved journey

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how oyster works.
I have a monthly zones 1-3 on my oyster and never travel outwith these
zones.
When renewing the card I had an unresolved journey on it. I thought this
only applied to prepay where you are being charged for each journey?
Admittedly I often don't 'touch in' as my local stations barriers are always
open.
Do I really need to 'touch in' with a travelcard as well?

Cheers
Dave.

Old February 14th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , pinter
writes
There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how oyster works.
I have a monthly zones 1-3 on my oyster and never travel outwith these
zones.
When renewing the card I had an unresolved journey on it. I thought this
only applied to prepay where you are being charged for each journey?
Admittedly I often don't 'touch in' as my local stations barriers are always
open.
Do I really need to 'touch in' with a travelcard as well?

Yes... That's why you're getting unresolved journeys. Until Pre Pay was
enabled it didn't matter so much. Unfortunately the information for
passengers with season tickets has been less than clear....
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 14th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , pinter
writes

Yes... That's why you're getting unresolved journeys. Until Pre Pay was
enabled it didn't matter so much. Unfortunately the information for
passengers with season tickets has been less than clear....

I've had one of these on my card for some time. Each time I go to renew, I
get told it's on there. I explain that my local station does not yet boast
Prox readers and that is why. I then get told that the offending entry has
been taken off so that I won't get asked about it again. Next time I go to
renew, it's still there! It's been like this since the beginning of the year
and I bet when I renew on Monday evening, it'll still be there.

RayB

---

Old February 17th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:27:08 +0000, Kat
wrote:

Yes... That's why you're getting unresolved journeys. Until Pre Pay was
enabled it didn't matter so much. Unfortunately the information for
passengers with season tickets has been less than clear....

The information is clear "...customers using prepay must touch in and
out..." But, I'm led to beleive on here, incorrect :-)
Old February 17th 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , K
writes
wrote:

Yes... That's why you're getting unresolved journeys. Until Pre Pay was
enabled it didn't matter so much. Unfortunately the information for
passengers with season tickets has been less than clear....

The information is clear "...customers using prepay must touch in and
out..." But, I'm led to beleive on here, incorrect :-)

No, that information is absolutely correct; what seems to be confusing
some people is the idea that they don't need to do the same if they have
period tickets on Oyster. It is in *that* way that some of the publicity
has been misleading. Everyone with an Oyster (except Freedom Passes and
Staff Passes) now also have Pre Pay enabled whether they like it or not
and whether they use it or not.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 18th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:47:40 +0000, Kat
wrote:

The information is clear "...customers using prepay must touch in and
out..." But, I'm led to beleive on here, incorrect :-)

No, that information is absolutely correct; what seems to be confusing
some people is the idea that they don't need to do the same if they have
period tickets on Oyster. It is in *that* way that some of the publicity
has been misleading. Everyone with an Oyster (except Freedom Passes and
Staff Passes) now also have Pre Pay enabled whether they like it or not
and whether they use it or not.

But the announcements say, "if you are using prepay". If I am using
the season ticket part of my Oyster then I am not using prepay. - I
can only be using one part or the other at any one time. If I don't
go out of zone then I would never use the prepay part (until my season
expires)

I've noticed that *some* of the signs now don't mention prepay.

How did this situation arise? Were the people who arranged the
signs/announcements unclear how the system worked, or has the
implementation changed since these decisions were made?
Old February 18th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , K
writes
wrote:

The information is clear "...customers using prepay must touch in and
out..." But, I'm led to beleive on here, incorrect :-)

No, that information is absolutely correct; what seems to be confusing
some people is the idea that they don't need to do the same if they have
period tickets on Oyster. It is in *that* way that some of the publicity
has been misleading. Everyone with an Oyster (except Freedom Passes and
Staff Passes) now also have Pre Pay enabled whether they like it or not
and whether they use it or not.

But the announcements say, "if you are using prepay". If I am using
the season ticket part of my Oyster then I am not using prepay. - I
can only be using one part or the other at any one time.

Not exactly. The gates will be reading all the slots on your Oyster.
If, for example, you have zones 1/2 and go out at zone 3 then you'll be
charged for the zone extension on your Pre Pay slot and not the full
single fare for 1,2,3.

If I don't
go out of zone then I would never use the prepay part (until my season
expires)

If you have a clear idea of the zone system that's true but many people
don't. I know the system fairly well but I couldn't tell you which zone
every station is in without looking at a map.
If you never go out of zone, you're more likely to see an unresolved
journey, or a gate which expects an *enter* when you are trying to exit
caused by not touching in and out.

I'm now seeing a new 36 error on the gates. This code isn't shown on any
of the literature I have currently but I think it shows an unresolved
journey.
Maybe someone who knows can enlighten me on this.

I've noticed that *some* of the signs now don't mention prepay.

How did this situation arise? Were the people who arranged the
signs/announcements unclear how the system worked, or has the
implementation changed since these decisions were made?

Pass...
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 18th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:27:54 +0000, Kat
wrote:

If you never go out of zone, you're more likely to see an unresolved
journey, or a gate which expects an *enter* when you are trying to exit
caused by not touching in and out.

How do I get one of these unresolved journeys, please :-) I've never
seen one yet and I sometimes interchange between the tube and DLR so
would have expected to get one when doing this. How long does it take
for an "entry" to expire, if you know what I mean?

Old February 18th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , K
writes
wrote:

[...]

I do not have the answer because I keep forgetting to check up but error 36
is new and full details are in the Traffic Circular.

Old February 18th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

If you never go out of zone, you're more likely to see an unresolved
journey, or a gate which expects an *enter* when you are trying to exit
caused by not touching in and out.

How do I get one of these unresolved journeys, please :-) I've never
seen one yet and I sometimes interchange between the tube and DLR so
would have expected to get one when doing this. How long does it take
for an "entry" to expire, if you know what I mean?

I've had one since 3 Feb still on the card, when I took WAGN from
Liverpool Street to Walthamstow and forgot to use the platform oyster
validator.

It's hasn't blocked any gates for me though - it just shows up when I
look at the history via a ticket machine.

So - at least a fortnight!