Old June 1st 15, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TFL Rail.

I have a disabled Freedom Pass. I went to London Liverpool Street (LST) at 1720hrs today to learn if this will be accepted before 0930hrs on such services operated by "TFL Rail". Of different staff I spoke to, I was not given a consistent response. On my mobile phone when I phoned TFL the respondent said it was "definitely allowed". Is it therefore permitted to do this action; travelling before 0930hrs of where my pass is permitted?

Old June 1st 15, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I have a disabled Freedom Pass. I went to London Liverpool Street (LST)
at 1720hrs today to learn if this will be accepted before 0930hrs on such
services operated by "TFL Rail". Of different staff I spoke to, I was not
given a consistent response. On my mobile phone when I phoned TFL the
respondent said it was "definitely allowed". Is it therefore permitted to
do this action; travelling before 0930hrs of where my pass is permitted?

Yes, TfL gave the right answer on the phone -- it will accepted at any time
on TfL Rail, as well as on the new Overground routes:
"Freedom Pass holders and passengers with other concessionary passes will
now be able to travel at any time".

http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/passenge...rail-services/
Old June 1st 15, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Why do they not advertise such information to help pensioners and disabled persons if they are not aware of this?
Old June 1st 15, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Why do they not advertise such information to help pensioners and
disabled persons if they are not aware of this?

They do. You just have to check the TfL Web site. Obviously there's a lot
of stuff that changed yesterday, and what's important to you isn't to
everyone, so you need to seek out the things you need to know. It was also
discussed here.

For example, from
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/new-fares?intcmp=23318

Discounted and free travel

All TfL discounted and free travel that currently apply to Tube, DLR and
London Overground services will also apply on those transferring to London
Overground and TfL Rail. In a number of cases this will mean cheaper fares
and additional free travel:

Under 11s will be able to travel free with a 5-10 Oyster photocard or when
accompanied by an adult with a valid ticket or using pay as you go

Flat fares will apply across Zones 1-6 for holders of 11-15 Oyster
photocards:
85p peak
75p off-peak

Holders of Freedom Passes, 60+ London Oyster photocards and Veterans Oyster
photocards will be able to travel free at all times
Old June 1st 15, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for this. However, can they not put posters up in stations to convey the change?

Old June 1st 15, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Thanks for this. However, can they not put posters up in stations to convey the change?

If you look at that Web page, there are a lot of changes, far too much to
put on a single poster. People are expected to use the Web to inform
themselves these days -- you can't expect everything that's on a large Web
site to be duplicated on posters at every station. For example, I've never
seen a Freedom Pass validity map on a station poster.
Old June 1st 15, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

How can you "expect" people to make use of the web if they do not know how to? Those commuting might know, but not everyone can do these things?
Old June 1st 15, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
How can you "expect" people to make use of the web if they do not know
how to? Those commuting might know, but not everyone can do these things?

It took me less time to find that page than it probably took you to post
your original query, and I'm a holder of a retired Freedom Pass, not a
commuter. Incidentally, I'd hope the gates have been reprogrammed so that
they'd know the validity of your pass.

I do agree that the staff should have known, but the rules only changed on
Sunday, and a lot of other things have just changed as well. This was
important to you, but it almost certainly was low on their priority list of
new stuff to learn. As it was important to you, you should have checked it
yourself first online -- it only takes seconds.
Old June 2nd 15, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 01:39:38 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

The rules are rather involved now.

A similar situation applies to Cheshunt. You can travel there at any
time using a Freedom Pass but only on London Overground trains that
run via Seven Sisters. You cannot travel to / from Cheshunt on a
Greater Anglia train at any time regardless of the route their train
takes. Similarly you cannot use a Freedom Pass north of Enfield Lock
on the Greater Anglia services that run via Tottenham Hale.

And on the route between Harrow & Wealdstone and Clapham
Junction it's only a Disabled Pass which is allowed on a
Southern train before 09:00 weekdays.

Incidentally, two men, both over 65, have had their Disabled
Passes changed to normal Freedom Passes. Any idea why? (Both
live in the London Borough of Islington, if that's relevant.)
--
Roger
Old June 2nd 15, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article 1633203475454892803.412597recliner.ng-
, Recliner
How can you "expect" people to make use of the web if they do not know
how to? Those commuting might know, but not everyone can do these things?

It took me less time to find that page than it probably took you to post
your original query, and I'm a holder of a retired Freedom Pass, not a
commuter. Incidentally, I'd hope the gates have been reprogrammed so that
they'd know the validity of your pass.

I do agree that the staff should have known, but the rules only changed on
Sunday, and a lot of other things have just changed as well. This was
important to you, but it almost certainly was low on their priority list of
new stuff to learn. As it was important to you, you should have checked it
yourself first online -- it only takes seconds.

Freedom Pass holders are no longer young. I did not even possess a
computer until some years after I retired. "Looking things up on the
Web" seems to have become second nature to all you young ones, but
unfortunately there is a great deal of truth in the adage "You can't
teach an old dog new tricks". It would take me much more than
"seconds" to find information that way - computers are inventions of
the Devil and must be approached very carefully - they might bite.

And that doesn't even begin to consider that the elderly might have
poor eyesight, arthritic fingers, various other defects (I note that
the OP holds a "disabled" Freedom Pass) making it difficult to use a
computer.

We do our best to "keep up" but it isn't always easy.
--
Bill Borland