Old June 6th 15, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Amateur tube map

Mostly I like it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_temp_cc4.svg

Apparently the author lives in Hong Kong, but I don't know if he has
spent time in London.

What's with New Bermondsey? Is the station on Surrey Canal Road going to
happen? I thought that was going to be called Deptford Park?

The portrayal of London Fields and Cambridge Heath is poor... while it
does sort of show that the Chingford trains don't stop there, it is far
from clear. That the Shenfield trains don't call at Bethnal Green is not
exactly clear either.

I'm not sure showing Battersea Park but failing to show Croxley -
Rickmansworth can be justified when the service level is comparable.

The Emerson Park shuttle has a different portrayal on the map and in the
key.

As for the split at Camden Town, I thought they usually ran Edgware
Trains via Bank, when not running the normal service.... but if he's
implying that the lines will be split when the Battersea extension
opens, AFAIK he is wrong.

Curious messages also come up if you hover over random stations!

Old June 6th 15, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:52:46 on Sat, 6 Jun 2015,
Basil Jet remarked:
Mostly I like it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Sameboat_temp_cc4.svg

It's one of the best maps I've seen, ever. Which is saying a lot.
Old June 6th 15, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\06\06 20:54, Paul Corfield wrote:

If you click on a line it flashes and shows where the service runs.
Clicking elsewhere stops the flashing. Nice way of showing the full
extent of the line.

And if you click on them all one after the other, your laptop melts ;-)
Old June 7th 15, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/06/2015 20:54, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 16:52:46 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

Mostly I like it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_temp_cc4.svg

Apparently the author lives in Hong Kong, but I don't know if he has
spent time in London.

What's with New Bermondsey? Is the station on Surrey Canal Road going to
happen? I thought that was going to be called Deptford Park?

The station is going to be built when the major planning disagreement
between Lewisham Council and Millwall FC is settled. It has been
rumbling on for a long time and I've not heard it is settled.

This must have been going on for a very long time, I have just dug out
a copy of Extending the East London Line, new rail opportunities for London
dated March 2000, when Surrey Canal Road station was envisaged and it
seemed at
the time the original plan was for the now Clapham junction branch was
going to go to Wimbledon, they also envisaged a link to Finsbury Park in
the north.
I can still remember how excited we were when this came out, having been
a user
of the ELL for over 40 years we were all looking forward to some
improvements.
Well we have certainly got it, though after all the messing about with
the tunnel
a few years ago none of us had much optimism. But it worked and there
are certainly
no complaints in SE15 I can assure you.
The artists impression for Surrey Canal Road station was pretty futuristic.

New Bermondsey is the poncy name for Surrey Canal Road.

Curious messages also come up if you hover over random stations!

The messages relate to OSIs in the main and it usefully explains the
time parameter and states the station on the other half of the
interchange.

If you click on a line it flashes and shows where the service runs.
Clicking elsewhere stops the flashing. Nice way of showing the full
extent of the line.

I think it's a decent enough map but I can't see TfL ever adopting the
design. The clever touches could be copied if they could be bothered
but then TfL switched off the Realtime Tube Map which had a shed load
of embedded info in it like local area maps for every tube station.
Instead we get Google maps instead.

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.

Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
3D Tube map Dave Arquati London Transport 5 November 19th 03 12:13 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM