Old August 22nd 15, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Potential Tube strikes - how widespread?

I shall be in London for a good bit of next week, and I notice warnings of strikes on the Underground network. Now, the TfL website tells me that: "We will run whatever Tube services we can on those four days, based on the staff that sign into their shifts".

Going off recent experience, what sort of Tube service is likely to be provided? Is it worth venturing near an Underground station at all, or am I best just aiming for buses, Overground, boats, cable cars etc? In fact, should I just stay close to my hotel and rely on Shanks' pony to get around?

TIA for any info.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================

Old August 22nd 15, 04:50 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I shall be in London for a good bit of next week, and I notice warnings of strikes on the Underground network. Now, the TfL website tells me that: "We will run whatever Tube services we can on those four days, based on the staff that sign into their shifts".

Going off recent experience, what sort of Tube service is likely to be provided? Is it worth venturing near an Underground station at all, or am I best just aiming for buses, Overground, boats, cable cars etc? In fact, should I just stay close to my hotel and rely on Shanks' pony to get around?

TIA for any info.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================
Recent experience is that the strike was 100% solid. Shank's pony was
indeed a reliable, trouble-free mode of transport for short distances.

It is possible that ASLEF will not participate in next week's strikes, in which
case things might be a little different. If you know you can comfortably walk
the distances you have in mind, venture forth!
Old August 22nd 15, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Northern Line might be all right.
Old August 22nd 15, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:
;149856 Wrote:
[...]

I think all the unions were involved in the recent strikes, but not this
time. But will ASLEF members cross picket lines, and will the stations be
staffed? And will the other union members be solidly behind these latest
strikes? They lose money each time, after all.

Old August 22nd 15, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The one difference next week is that ASLEF are not out on strike. It
is not yet clear whether LU will be able to run any service if RMT,
Unite and TSSA are out because of their control of stations, control
rooms etc. It's also not clear if ASLEF drivers will cross picket
lines.

I believe it would be illegal for ASLEF members NOT to cross picket
lines of a strike that would have nothing to do with them.
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9
Old August 24th 15, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes
I shall be in London for a good bit of next week, and I notice warnings
of strikes on the Underground network. Now, the TfL website tells me
that: "We will run whatever Tube services we can on those four days,
based on the staff that sign into their shifts".

Latest from tfl

Tuesday 25 August
Tube services will run as normal for most of tomorrow but will stop
running at around 18:30, so please complete your Tube journey by this
time and travel earlier if possible. Tube services are expected to be
exceptionally busy between 16:30 and 18:30.

Wednesday 26 August
We will run as many Tube services as possible according to how many
staff sign onto their shifts. However, most Tube services are unlikely
to run at all and those that do run may only serve some stations, and
may only run for part of the day. Please check our website and Twitter
accounts for updates on what is running. Extra bus and river services
will run, but all other public transport services and roads will be much
busier than usual. Please travel outside the morning and evening peaks
if you can.

Thursday 27 August
Tube services will run as normal for most of the day but will stop
running at around 18:30, so please complete your Tube journey by this
time and travel earlier if possible. Tube services are expected to be
exceptionally busy between 16:30 and 18:30.

Friday 28 August

Old August 24th 15, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bryan Morris wrote:
In message ,
writes
[...]

I'm glad to hear that the strikes have been called off!
Old August 24th 15, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\08\24 17:03, Recliner wrote:

I'm glad to hear that the strikes have been called off!

AFAIK Unite has called off the strike, but two other unions haven't.
Old August 24th 15, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Basil Jet
writes
On 2015\08\24 17:03, Recliner wrote:

I'm glad to hear that the strikes have been called off!

AFAIK Unite has called off the strike, but two other unions haven't.

The Unite union said it had suspended its action as a "gesture of
goodwill" to allow further talks.

Unions have put forward new strike dates of 8 and 10 September if a deal
is not reached.

As you say Unite appear to be the only one suspending but LU say it's
been called off